Equitop Gonex?

Tabby
Herd Member

Equitop Gonex?

Postby Tabby » Sat May 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Has anyone here used it? My BO recommended it as a possible treatment for my horse's stifles. He's an 18 yo OTTB. His only job these days is trail riding on weekends with the odd schooling session here and there. He's not lame (yet) but I've noticed changes over the years. At first, my farrier noticed that his back feet were starting to be shaped differently, as if he was resting one more than the other. After a while, he occasionally had a "flat tire" for a stride or 2 in the back, as if he tripped on something but he didn't. I decided to keep his back shoes on year round which helped a lot. His left stifle began clicking every so often after that. Now it clicks frequently until he warms up. And this is what brings me to my question today - he is showing much more stiffness at the beginning of a ride than ever before, though he works out of it (by working I mean mainly just walking and a little trot). He's been getting glucosamines since I bought him at age 5.

I'm really just looking for a way to help him be more comfortable and extend his usability. He will never again go to another show, nor will he ever be asked to do any jumping or serious performance work. But our trails are a little challenging - we have to go down a fairly steep hill to get into them and then climb back out of it. We usually go for about an hour or 2 but on really nice days we might stay out 3 hours. The pasture where he's turned out has lots of hills and he's regularly seen running up and down them with the herd. He's in good condition but he is showing signs of middle age and being middle aged myself I perfectly understand.

So back to my question - will this stuff help?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Equitop Gonex?

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 14, 2016 10:20 pm

I do not know it but have had good luck with pentosan for maintenance in my older horse

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Apparently it has been used in Europe for years but is new to Canada. I don't know if they have it in the US or not. My BO heard that it worked as well as joint injections. I'm not keen on going the injection route unless I can be convinced that it might truly improve his quality of life. Is quality of life is still pretty good for now - I'm hoping to find something to extend that as long as possible without being too invasive.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 17, 2016 4:13 am

I'm using it for my horse, but only for a joint maintenance supplement, not to treat a specific issue. It was on recommendation of my very "if it hasn't been researched and proven to work, don't bother to waste your money" vet, if that helps :)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue May 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks, it does help. Generally speaking, I feel the same way. But if it isn't too expensive and won't cause any harm, I don't mind giving something a try.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri May 20, 2016 7:46 am

I think I might have been a bit unclear in my post. My vet is normally sceptical, but feels there is enough research to back up the effectiveness of this product, and she strongly endorses it :)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”