Feldenkrais

greenhorse
Novice

Feldenkrais

Postby greenhorse » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:11 am

Anyone know much about Feldenkrais or had any experiences with it?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Feldenkrais

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:10 am

I have used it for me, not for a horse.

I found it useful for some postural and alignment issues. Most of it for me was about being made aware of the feel of being correct and being able to learn how to generate that feel on my own.

On the whole, I prefer Alexander Technique, but had trouble finding a good practitioner here.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Yes. I live near and have worked with Mary Debono, a Guild Feldy, for 19 years. Of all the modalities I have had experience with Feldenkrais is the one that has the best long lasting effects. On riders and horses. It changes movement patterns/wakes up neural pathways that cause the spasms/contratcions what have you etc that most body work addresses. Movement patterns change, ergo, problems go away. It can be quite weird in ways...after a session I can sometiimes feel quite disoriented until my brain processes the changes. Horses too...they can be quite loopy and even off immediately after a session. When I had Bella at Jeremy Steinbergs I would work on her (I am not a Feldy but familiar with it enough to work on my own horses) and sometimes after she would be actually lame/ish/loopy and my friends would say 'nice work! you broke her!" >;->

Its really fascinating work.

Its been transformational for me and for the horses. My last foot surgery went completely sour and I was non weight bearing for months. this made my right knee, ankle, and hip compensate like mad. Seeing Mary a few times has helped immeasurably.

It can make changes in horses I would not have believed if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:42 pm

Love, love, love.

I've been doing (nearly) weekly classes for close on 10 years now. It keeps me functioning through all the shit I give my body.
My favourite Feldenkrais practitioner is also a physiotherapist. She is my go-to for any injuries as she can work absolute magic.

A lot of TTeam/TTouch is based upon Feldenkrais methodology as Linda Tellington-Jones was (is!) a Feldenkrais practitioner.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:32 pm

I am going to class today for Feldenkrais for horses. It is taught by someone who has trained with Mary Debono. I am really hoping to learn something that will be helpful for my horse.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”