Nutrena feed--ingredient list now changed

texsuze
500 post plus club

Nutrena feed--ingredient list now changed

Postby texsuze » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:52 pm

My oldster has been doing fine for the past year on Nutrena's Safechoice Special Care. But I just noticed that at some point within the last 3 months, Nutrena decided to change to an 'obscure' ingredient list instead of identifying specific ingredients. Feed tag now lists "processed grain by-products, roughage products (23.5%), plant protein products...." etc. etc. Drat! In the past I've been able to successfully avoid feeds that don't list specific ingredients.

Oddly enough, my farrier made an offhand comment about my oldster at last month's re-set, something about "..... and his beer-belly....", which I didn't think about at the time. My oldster does seem to be a bit fluffier right now, aside from his winter coat.

I hate changing feeds almost as much as I used to hate saddle fittings ;) Back to plucking feed tags from bags and reconsidering a new feed. In the meantime, guess I'll see if I can get some answers from the Nutrena folks.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Nutrena feed--ingredient list now changed

Postby Canyon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to examine the tags on the latest purchase of Safechoice Senior.

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 am

My barn feeds nutrena grains... So thank you for the heads-up up. And please keep us posted if you hear from them

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Per phone conversation with a Nutrena rep, I asked if the change in feed tag ingredients is permanent, or a seasonal change. Rep said it's a seasonal change in the ingredients description, and that feed tags will change back to listing specific ingredients in the spring. (But why?...) When I asked if the feed now contains corn, she said none of the SafeChoice products contain corn, but that one might see a few chips or pieces of corn in a bag since the mill runs corn kernels through the machines to clean out the 'fines' between processing the different varieties of their feed.

A Nutrena rep is supposed to contact me with the SafeChoice Special Care ingredients. I'll let ya'll know if I get that info. Stay tuned.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Well, I got a l-o-o-o-o-n-g response/explanation from one of the Nutrena folks to explain the feed tag ingredient change on the SafeChoice Special Care; too long to post here, I think. You can PM me and I'll forward the post, unless you'd like me to go ahead and put it here in all its glory ;)

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 pm

The Safe Choice Senior “Dry” also has new packaging. I was told it is still the same. I think Az is one of the few places Safe Choice Senior was available in a “dry” format. It has always had a little molasses but it was processed differently than the moist version. Those of us with insulin resistance have always used the dry formulation. Now I feel like I’d better double check.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”