Bug bites and udders

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Bug bites and udders

Postby blob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:08 pm

MM is really sensitive to flys/bugs and gets pretty eaten up in the summer. She currently wears a boett sweet itch blanket and a fly mask, so she's fairly covered. Her udder however is free for attack and lately it's been ending up bloody (partly because she's scratching it, I'm sure). I've been putting desitin on it daily, which has helped. But it's so hot and sweaty that the desitin isn't lasting very long. Each day when I come there's no trace of me having put it on the day before.

Boett does make an udder cover attachment but from what I've heard it just ends up soaked in urine. Is there something else I can put on her to soothe/act as a barrier that might hold up better than desitin to sweat? Obviously I want to avoid anything too harsh in that area.

StraightForward

Re: Bug bites and udders

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:09 pm

I just ordered the Equiderma Sweet Itch package last night. It might be worth looking at one of their products, like the lotion that has Neem in it.

Poor thing, that sounds really uncomfortable!
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:30 pm

I have no idea what real bugs are like, but try neem oil. You can get it from any hardware store or order it straight. When I added it to my fly spray, all of the bug bites that used to make may mare's midline raw stopped, and not ticks, ever. No bot flies, either. It's worth a try, and it's not expensive. Because it's an oil, it sticks on better than other things.

If you buy it premixed it's mostly water you're paying for. I buy it straight and put about a tablespoon in a quart sprayer. You can also put it on straight. This lasts me well over a year for three horses. https://www.amazon.com/Neem-Organic-Pre ... 616&sr=8-3

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 am

I use Neem oil on my flowers!

I wonder if you can safely add it to phyrana fly spray?

My mare was getting a bit itchy on her belly, I had some Micro-Tech spray And I put it in a couple of times, it seemed to really help.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:37 am

Thanks, all. I will try the neem oil!

I do suspect she needs more than just keeping the bugs off, but something that can act as a barrier and that will soothe her.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 am

Have you tried bag balm? I use it on Emma’s face where she gets crusty patches that come up over night. It works amazingly well and the patches are soft an undetectable by the next day. I have something similar (can’t remember the name, some initials or something) that I got from the vet but it has a fly repellant in it and not for use on sensitive areas.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 am

I use Off deep woods long lasting. Kimba is allerguc to almost all horse grade flt sprays but tolerates OFF well.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:48 pm

demi wrote:Have you tried bag balm? I use it on Emma’s face where she gets crusty patches that come up over night. It works amazingly well and the patches are soft an undetectable by the next day. I have something similar (can’t remember the name, some initials or something) that I got from the vet but it has a fly repellant in it and not for use on sensitive areas.

I will try bag balm! The desitin definitely helps a lot. it just doesn't seem to have much staying power in our hot humid swamp weather over here. Which is so surprising to me because when i get it on myself i can't seem to get rid of it!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Hayburner Yes, you can add neem to your spray. I just buy straight pyrethrin and make my own sprays. It costs about 500 times less. I also buy straight cedar oil, lavendar, and citronella and mix those in sometimes. I use that spray around the house for fleas and to make things smell good.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:08 pm

I've had good luck with clear Swat to keep the nasties at bay - chest and ear gnats and whatever attacks the midline and sheath.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 pm

Canyon wrote:I've had good luck with clear Swat to keep the nasties at bay - chest and ear gnats and whatever attacks the midline and sheath.

I love swat, but in the muggy GA heat, swat lasts about an hour max.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I'll be curious if the bag balm stays on longer. It is very soothing.

I'm a big fan of neem for insect management, too.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 pm

I don't use any topicals to prevent bug bites — they either sweat off or become a gunky, dirty mess. Instead, I cold hose bug bites daily and wash every few days. Both mares seem to appreciate it.

Right now my Anzia is recovering from a tick bite. Poor girly has a horrible reaction to them, so it swelled bigger than her teats, then hung low :( I've washed, cold hosed, and re-applied a bit of Epsom Salt Poultice gel (works great to draw everything out) every day this week. It burst sometime between yesterday and today, so she had fresh blood and serum all down her leg :shock: But, it finally deflated. It should be gone by this time next week.

And, yes, this has been her reaction to ticks for 20 years, and the treatment is vet-recommended.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”