Roaring

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Roaring

Postby khall » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:03 am

Anyone ever dealt with a horse that roars? Rip was scoped recently for his cicatrix which was better thankfully but now he is showing grade 1 laryngeal paralysis. Of course I’ve heard roaring horses before and I know they do tie back surgery for it. I cared for a horse who had double tie back surgery so I know how to care for them but I’ve never had to ride one. He’s noisy but it so far is not bothering his ability to air up when working.

My holistic vet is going to come treat him. So we will see. The continued saga of Rip’s airway. Horses

Chisamba

Re: Roaring

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:55 pm

well quite a few of the draft crosses you hate have levels of roaring, so yes, I have a couple in the barn. they are noisy at high levels of activity which limits very high levels of activity, but are healthy happy riding horses

blob

Postby blob » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:07 pm

I knew a couple rosters. One was from scarring, so tie back wasn't an option. The other was a candidate for tie back, but we opted not to because it wasn't actually interfering with his ability to breathe or do work. It just sounded terrible. So, it didn't seem worth it to put the horse through surgery

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:15 pm

I had one. He developed it at about 9 years old, which i gather is not unusual. It was bad enough that it really did affect his quality of life. He was sufficiently exercise intolerant that he would get sweaty in normal turnout, and he found being on the bit intolerably claustrophobic. So we did the surgery. It was really not a big deal, a bit messy to deal with during the heal up and recovery. He was so much more comfortable afterwards, and the ongoing management was no big deal.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:29 pm

Chisamba I don’t hate draft crosses at all. They have a place just not in my riding string ever as a dressage mount. If I wanted to fox hunt that would probably be what I looked for. I sold a Percheron TB years ago for a client as a hunt horse. He was perfect for that sport.

Thanks mountaineer for that info. I’m not sure how he will handle work as it gets hotter. I’m hoping he will be helped by my holistic vet and acupuncture. Right now he has too much function to consider tie back surgery. And like blob says as long as he is not impacted by his work I’m ok with the noise.

We will see

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:20 pm

If you do decide to pursue the surgery just make sure that the one performing it is not just very experienced at the particular approach that they will be choosing to apply. The basics of the surgery are the same but there are different approaches and a surgeon with less experience with certain approaches has the tendency to increase scarring (which can still occur no matter the surgeon but one who does the same approach in their sleep gives you the best odds for success).

khall

Postby khall » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:54 pm

Thanks exvet. Scaring is what we definitely want to avoid since he already has that webbing. I pretty confident the vet I use knows what he’s doing. He interned at Rood and Riddle for several years. I feel very blessed to have him as a resource in caring for my horses.

I don’t know if I will pursue surgery. Rip certainly has no issues in the field at this point it all depends on how he progresses with it. Horses keep you humble broke and drinking

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:43 pm

This: "Horses keep you humble broke and drinking"

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”