Pre Purchase Exam

Marf348
Greenie

Pre Purchase Exam

Postby Marf348 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:44 am

Hi, I am new to the forum. I just have a purchase question. How many of you would purchase this horse? Going third level, 14 years old. Moves sound and clean flexions, but x-rays show ocd in hocks. Vet states has probably been there since he was a foal. Also, he is very really reasonably priced.

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Pre Purchase Exam

Postby blob » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:32 am

It depends on a lot of factors. What are your goals? What kind of budget might you have for maintenance? Would this be your only horse? If he were to become unsound for real riding what would be your plan? How severe are the lesions? Are there other pros or cons in terms of this being the right partner for you?

How cheap would also matter to me. I don't think I would pay $20k for a horse with ocd lesions. But depending on the questions above $15k or under maybe

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:53 pm

I agree with Blob. It depends on the price of horse and severity of the lesion. If the horse has been in consistent work with no issues, I might take the leap for a reduced price.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:38 pm

being a skeptic I would run a drug test to make sure said horse was not on anti inflammatory drugs when the flexions are done, then, if the price were right, is go with the flexing and natural movement over x-rays.

but yes, having an early retirement strategy would also be a good idea.

I have had better experience with the " if its over ten and still sound it will be sound for life" and more often stays sound longer than a young horse that vets clean
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marf348
Greenie

Postby Marf348 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:05 am

Thanks for your insights. I know the horse well, because I bought him four years ago based on clean flexions and didn’t x-ray him. I was debating selling him this year, so did a pre vetting and x-rays and was surprised to find the lesions. He works five to six days a week and moves consistently sound. I was just wondering what kind of response I would get from potential buyers.

malriis
Greenie

Postby malriis » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 am

I don't think it would bother me that much, depending on my goals. The horse is older and still sound under the workload I would be expecting, which is the biggest factor. I would definitely use this as an opportunity to negotiate the price down though. ;)

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”