Rain rot

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Rain rot

Postby PaulaO » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm

Miss A has developed small patches. The hair is gone and there is what I call greasy skin underneath. I can rub it off with my fingers. I put MTG on a spot Tuesday and it has improved. Yesterday I borrowed Hay, Where Is (aka the blue stuff) lotion and applied to other spots. The vet was out yesterday and didn’t seem concerned. Any other suggestions to add to the armament? It’s too cold to give her a bath.

blob

Re: Rain rot

Postby blob » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:26 pm

I had a rain rot prone horse that i used to spray down with a 50-50 listerine and avon skin so soft (you could probably use baby oil instead) solution after each ride, esp in the cooler times when baths weren't an option. I don't know that it would do a ton to treat an acute infection, but it did keep the fungus at bay and was cheap/easy to put together.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:00 pm

My oldster always seems to get rain rot this time of year as he's shedding. On his topline and on the white stocking on one leg. He got a bath last week or so (80+ degrees, this is TX. ;)) but in between baths I use MicroTek, in both the spray and the gel. Gel is kind of messy but it stays on; my gelding is retired so not a big deal to have goop in the area of the saddle pad. I use MicroTeck shampoo exclusively and I've found it does make a difference.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 02, 2021 12:51 pm

I've used The Blue Stuff lotion 3 times and it seems to clearing up the scurf. Of course SHE doesn't like the lotion application, but if she were in pasture and rain started, she wouldn't even notice. I know people who have used MicroTek so I will keep that in mind. Still too cold for baths....

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Obie got a pretty bad case of rain rot at the end of this winter. It was kind of shocking because it's so unusual to see it in our dry climate. We finally figured out that the feeder mounted on his pen was sliding over to the edge of the pen cover and he was probably getting drizzles on his head a lot, plus he had dropped some weight and maybe wasn't in top form immunity wise.

Since he still had winter coat, and it was too cold to bathe, I clipped the patchiest areas and removed the hair anywhere I could to make it easier to treat the scabs. A metal flea comb works really well to get the scabs up once they are starting to loosen from the skin (dry ones, not ones that are active). I used Equiderma lotion on him and we fixed the feeder issue and his hair started growing back in within a couple weeks. The lotion worked well to soften up scabs that weren't ready to come up already. I also started him on Vitamin E, Renew Gold and amino acids to hopefully help his skin and coat, and also add some weight back.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”