What do your horses eat?

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

What do your horses eat?

Postby blob » Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 am

I'm rethinking my feeding programs for both horses (but for different reasons). I have some limitations given that I board, but thankfully access to forage isn't one of them.

anyway, just curious what others are feeding and how much of it--including supplements (if any).

StraightForward

Re: What do your horses eat?

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 am

Annabelle - about 80% grass hay and 20% alfalfa. I think the usual grass hay we get is orchard/timothy, but right now they are getting something that looks like teff while waiting for the first cutting from the normal hay guy to come in.

Grain for her are 2# morning and evening of Strategy Pro GX (has the Outlast stuff added to it). Before that she was just getting Outlast as her "grain" but needed a little more energy as her work load increased.

For supplements I recently put them both on California Trace Plus, which replaced Equerry's (a local-ish brand all-purpose supplement), Tri-Amino and vitamin E. Then they both get electrolytes. Annabelle also gets a basic joint supplement (LegUp brand) and SmartMuscle Recovery. However, the SmartMuscle is a little pricey, so I am going to try taking her off of it for a few weeks and see if I notice any difference.

Tesla - same hay, but about 1/3 alfalfa 2/3 grass.In addition to the California Trace and electrolytes, Tesla gets about 1.5# of Renew Gold in the morning and 2# of Strategy in the evening. Her additional supplements are spirulina because she is always itchy, and Dynamite Probiotic and Daily Gold because she tends to have inconsistent poops (it's been consistent since she's been on the Daily Gold).
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue May 25, 2021 4:02 am

My retired (pasture sound) Trakehner-x gelding, who turns 30 in August, is probably outside the profile you're interested in. But he's currently fed Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care, a low-starch, concentrated feed (about 7 lbs. daily, in 3 different feedings).

Since his molars are worn to the point of being essentially non-functional, he can no longer eat coastal hay, which was the forage he'd eaten all his life. Therefore, I also give him two feedings of Tractor Supply's bermuda/alfalfa hay cubes, thoroughly soaked into a spongy mush. I like this mix because he still gets the longer stem forage from the bermuda, rather than alfalfa only. He can nib-nub grass, but not enough to supply his forage needs.

He has a free-choice salt block or brick in each pasture, plus a mineral brick in his turnout pen at the barn.

Last month, at his annual dental check-up, the vet asked about his feeding program. When I told him my formula he said, "Don't change a thing. He's looking good, and with his lameness, doesn't need to be carrying any extra weight."

I've contemplated adding some senior feed to the mix, but I've tried to keep unnecessary sugars out of the picture so far. Knock wood he's never had laminitis and I have no reason to suspect Cushing's at this time. If he looks to be getting too thin I'll consult the vet to get some input. I stress over his feed constantly, but I was thinking just today that my oldster looks pretty darn good for his age :)

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 25, 2021 5:26 pm

All of my younger horses 7-15 are on forage strictly diet. I feed stress free from Triple Crown and various supplements platinum for a couple, hoof supplement from platinum, balancer pellet from TC, quiescence for weight (Gaila) omega for my old mare Gallie and a g of bute daily for her. All get tbs of salt.

Gallie gets TC senior at 26. Over winter she got a bit more senior a fat supplement cool calories and alfalfa cubes soaked. Rip and Joplin got TC Timothy cubes in the slow feeder horse toys to help keep them busy.

All get soaked coastal Bermuda hay even my old girl is still able to eat the hay.

Now on grass they get less hay about half of what I feed over winter. A couple are pretty fat Joplin Gaila and Juliet. Rip and Gallie are in perfect weight.
Last edited by khall on Fri May 28, 2021 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 25, 2021 5:45 pm

My mares were on about half alfalfa and half grass hay. At the new place it's all grass, which seems to be great since they pretty much eat all day and have gained weight, which the two younger ones don't really need, and no, they are not pregnant. Quinn has chilled out a lot, and that might be why.

Had the vet out to do their teeth and she mentioned their mom, 23, should probably be getting some extra protein. So I have been searching the best way to do that. At the feed store I looked at the Super Sport she recommended, which is 40% protein. It's $50 for a 25 lb bag! And it has sugar in it. All of the other processed stuff was about 25-20%, but still had a lot of extra crap in it. I came back with alfalfa cubes for now. Research had shown soybean meal was 90%, but they didn't sell that.

I did researching last night and found pea protein is 80% and they sell it in the UK, but now here. So I searched bulk buying, and was able to get 5 lbs of pea protein for $25 shipped. To add the needed amount to her diet is less than a cup, so that is a pretty good deal. We'll see if it helps her when it gets her. I might also add a little bit to the girls.

Everything else I just buy straight ingredients because I want to know what works. They get a little bit of cob as a treat to put it in. They all get flax, vitamin e and selenium, copper, zinc, and salt. The older mare gets msm and glucosamine. And then I am always playing with adding different things here and there to see if it makes a difference in hooves, coat, conditioning, etc.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 25, 2021 5:47 pm

My mares were on about half alfalfa and half grass hay. At the new place it's all grass, which seems to be great since they pretty much eat all day and have gained weight, which the two younger ones don't really need, and no, they are not pregnant. Quinn has chilled out a lot, and that might be why.

Had the vet out to do their teeth and she mentioned their mom, 23, should probably be getting some extra protein. So I have been searching the best way to do that. At the feed store I looked at the Super Sport she recommended, which is 40% protein. It's $50 for a 25 lb bag! And it has sugar in it. All of the other processed stuff was about 25-20%, but still had a lot of extra crap in it. I came back with alfalfa cubes for now. Research had shown soybean meal was 90%, but they didn't sell that.

I did researching last night and found pea protein is 80% and they sell it in the UK, but now here. So I searched bulk buying, and was able to get 5 lbs of pea protein for $25 shipped. To add the needed amount to her diet is less than a cup, so that is a pretty good deal. We'll see if it helps her when it gets her. I might also add a little bit to the girls.

Everything else I just buy straight ingredients because I want to know what works. They get a little bit of cob as a treat to put it in. They all get flax, vitamin e and selenium, copper, zinc, and salt. The older mare gets msm and glucosamine. And then I am always playing with adding different things here and there to see if it makes a difference in hooves, coat, conditioning, etc.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue May 25, 2021 11:23 pm

Retiree who has gut issues and a history of colitis gets a pelleted diet (Elk Grove Stable Mix) and whatever grass he can nibble from his overgrazed pasture. He also gets ground flax, glutamine for his gut, psyllium every day for his gut (helps build the mucus layer), vitamin e, and a hoof supplement that has just everything in it. Formula 4 Feet.
Riding horse is an easy keeper Morgan with a history of laminitis and metabolic syndrome. He gets grass hay in a slow feeder, ground flax, vitamin e, same hoof supplement, and a little beet pulp for mixing. I have started him on MSM and HA but I don't know if it's making a difference or I'm wasting my money.
I have been supplementing with vitamin e for years ever since my ex-trainer's horse got into trouble from a vit e deficiency. The vets at Davis told her that most west coast hay is very deficient and they were seeing a lot of problem horses as a result.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 25, 2021 11:48 pm

Rocky is my only horse in work and she gets moderate work 4-5 times a week. She is an easy keeper and my vet has mentioned more than once that I should cut back her grain :oops: . I have actually cut it back and she’s lost a little since last time vet was here.

Right now we have a lot of grass so I have to limit her turnout to 6 hours. She also gets 8 lbs of coastal Bermuda split up while she’s in her stall/paddock (no grass in her paddock). Before she goes out in the morning she gets 1/2 lb Purina Senior and 1/4 cup Farrier’s Formula. She comes off grass at 3:00pm and gets another 1/2 lb Sr., 1/4 cup Farriers and 4 lbs of Coastal. Then at 7 pm she gets another 4 lbs of Coastal.

Emma gets 1 & 1/2 lbs Purina Sr, 1/4 cup Farriers Formula and free choice Coastal. She only gets 4 hours turnout because of her sweet itch. Even with the Boett, I still have to keep her in because of her legs. When Rocky comes in at 3, Em gets another 1 1/2 lbs of Sr feed + Farriers and I refill her her hay feeder with coastal.

Uno, our rescue gelding is probably in his late/mid 20s. He has 24/7 access to 10 acres of grass from his stall. He also gets 1 & 1/2 lbs Purina Sr morning and afternoon with the mares, plus up to 8 lbs of alfalfa when the grass drys up. He used to get free choice coastal but he started colicing on that so at vet’s recommendation we switched to alfalfa. He also use to get up to 8 lbs of Purina Sr depending on how much grass we had, but he started colicing on that, too. Vet thought the Equine Sr. Was too much and too dry so we cut it back to 1 1/2 lbs per feeding and mix it with water to a soup. When we cut the Sr, we increased the alfalfa. He also gets Farriers Formula. I think the Farrier’s really helps him. His coat was sparse and dry until I started the FF. Now it’s shiney and thicker.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 26, 2021 8:28 pm

My mare has PSSM (moderate, managed) but is not IR. She gets about 8 hours of grazing time a day, with variable grass, plus orchard grass mix hay in the field and in her stall. It's an easy 14-20 lbs per day of hay, depending on time of year. She is a chunky-looking type, but can actually get much too thin very quickly with the wrong diet---likely due to PSSM and/or the non-Lusitano half! (Trakehner)

I had to cut her other feed quite a bit over the course of rehab, as she simply wasn't working hard enough to earn it. Her feed now:

Seminole Equalizer (a ration balancer): 1 lb/day in two servings. I switched to this a few years ago when it was clear she needed more protein.
Seminole Dynasport: 1 lb/day in two servings; I will up this amount when she starts to lose too much due to increased work.

Key supplements for Emi: ALCAR, vitamin E, apple-a-day electrolytes, joint supplement with MSM and resveratrol (I've used various)

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Tanga have you ever looked into tri amino? When my old mare lost her top line over the winter even on 8 lbs of senior I put her on this supplement (Rip and Joplin are on it too because platinum is lacking in protein) she lost her top line. On tri amino she put it back in and came out of winter fat!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu May 27, 2021 10:55 pm

Kyra's diet is pretty simple.

Base forage = 10-12lbs of a mixed grass/alfalfa hay (probably 70-80% grass and 20-30% alfalfa). She gets a cup and a half of Strategy Healthy Edge (only as a vehicle for her vitamins), 4 oz of California Trace Plus and another 800 units of natural Vit E. The California Trace Plus has like 1900 units of Vit E but I don't know if it is D-alpha tocopherol or DL-alpha tocopherol. I just switched to the California Trace Plus and was giving her 1200 units Vit E with her old vitamin which had I think 300 units. I just chuck the people capsules in her baggie of goodies.

I do supplement her hay on the days I go out. She gets a small pre-work hay snack while I clean her pen then I set up her hay ball toy or a small hole hay net and leave it for her with maybe 2-3 lbs of hay in it. She has dropped a bit of weight as I have had to take up her girth a hole but I think she looks good. Maybe a 4.5-5? Last year when they switched to the new hay (barn owner grows their own) within 2 weeks she ballooned :shock: . Harder crest and fat pads on her butt. It was a newly seeded field and I imagine the carbs in that hay were quite high. The hay she had been getting was older and coarser so when that was her ration, I was shoving it to her. Not so much once they switched to the new hay. Reluctantly, I had to cut her down some as I wasn't seeming to make much headway with exercise alone. This barn will not do soaking or slow feed hay nets unless you set them up. With taking care of my Mom, my trips to the barn are not guaranteed (to go when I want to) so I don't see that, right now, as a viable option. She seems stable and I would have them go back up on her morning feed but we will have this year's first cutting soon and I foresee having the same problem so I am holding off until I see how she handles it.
She has a large dry lot pen and I don't worry too much about 'turn out'. With her propensity for laying down fat in the wrong places, I try to avoid the grass with her. If she is out more than a few minutes (like today...I turned her out for a whopping 5 minutes while I swept up and put things away), she gets a muzzle. Grass is a treat and not a regular part of her diet.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon May 31, 2021 10:04 pm

Maia gets 2# Strategy pellets and 1-2.5 cups (varies based on condition) rice bran pellet 2x/day. I started her on raspberry leaves in March because she was being a big ol' feral brat and I wasn't able to come out and work with her until my leg wounds healed :roll: She'll probably stay on that for a bit, even after I'm back in her saddle, so I have some hope of riding a quasi calm horse.

Anz gets a whiff — seriously — of Triple Crown Senior plus joint supplement. She has both salt and mineral blocks in the stall. To make up for the lack of grain, she gets a lot of hay.

All of our horses are on a feed though fly control that gives them garlic breath <3 plus 10-12 hours out on great pastures. When they're in, the BO feeds really nice timothy hay. In the winter, she throws lower-quality timothy/grass mix out in the small portion of the fields we use as a temporary dry lot.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 31, 2021 10:46 pm

khall wrote:Tanga have you ever looked into tri amino? When my old mare lost her top line over the winter even on 8 lbs of senior I put her on this supplement (Rip and Joplin are on it too because platinum is lacking in protein) she lost her top line. On tri amino she put it back in and came out of winter fat!

I also love TriAmino. Had Annabelle on it for 3/5 years, and Tesla as long as I've had her. Have recommended it to a couple people who have started feeding it and saw a difference in their horses quickly. Just quit because the California Trace Plus has very similar levels of amino acids, but I'm still giving it to Obie along with some Renew Gold because he came out of winter looking rather bony (and he is looking much nicer now). 5# buckets from Valley Vet make it pretty inexpensive to feed.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon May 31, 2021 11:25 pm

khall wrote:Tanga have you ever looked into tri amino? When my old mare lost her top line over the winter even on 8 lbs of senior I put her on this supplement (Rip and Joplin are on it too because platinum is lacking in protein) she lost her top line. On tri amino she put it back in and came out of winter fat!

Sorry. I didn't see this. No. I don't buy premade feeds because I like to know what ingredients are working. The flax is the best for weight and coat. The copper and zinc for their feet and coats. Right now I could only get alfalfa cubes for the protein, but my pea protein powder is coming tomorrow. In researching about protein and horses, the protein are the amino acids and the pea is some of the most complete and high protein so I can add it and see what's working.

The vet was out two weeks ago to do their teeth and I asked her about their coats. She said it might just be encysted strongyles because she noticed their backs, too. So, I think wormed with Quest and it's a bit too early, but I think it's helped. The girls definitely look better in the back. So now I'm curious to experiment with the extra protein. Of course, the vet also explained the vitamin e and selenium (which is needed here for the hay) I feed might not be great because natural sourced vitamin e is the only one that is really absorbed. In reading about that, someone studied all of the various ways to get in vitamin e and said that natural sources probably doesn't make any difference unless a horse is really deficient. But, the recommendation of the best value was Kirkland e capsules that I can get from Amazon. So, that's another thing to play with.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:54 am

17 year old Shire, 10 year old Shire x Saddlebred, 6 year old Shire x Saddlebred. All get orchard grass with a tiny bit of alfalfa in it. They get soaked beet pulp and California Trace Plus vit/min supplement. That's it. When I brought the 6 year old home a few months ago she got Ultium (about 4 lbs) and 2 Lbs of CalfManna a day because she had just weaned her foal and looked a little poor. She looks good now. I can put a topline on anything with a bucket LOL.

When the Shire was showing and working hard and I needed him heated up he got 10 lbs of Ultium a day and NanoE from KER and the California Trace. I chose that supplement because we have excessive iron (like most of California) and it's got lots of copper and zinc to help with that and it doesn't have any added iron.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 pm

Pasture of orchard grass, a little blue grass, and, in the north pasture, about 40% alfalfa. I admit, there are weeds also, like mustard and morning glory and thistle but they don't eat those, and we're trying very hard to get rid of that darn thistle. Pasture is tested and fertilized every other year, and, being in the high desert, it is irrigated all summer long. The only other thing they get is a salt/mineral formulated for our specific area and Smart Pak's Metabo-Lean. In the past, when I had older, leaner horses, they got Purina's Senior feed in the winter. In the winter they get mostly alfalfa hay plus whatever graze off is left. They get the Metabo-Lean all year round cuz these three are air ferns.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”