Odd sweating stains

Tanga
500 post plus club

Odd sweating stains

Postby Tanga » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:41 am

I had noticed this on Quinn before and I just figured it out is the way she is sweating on her left hind. I thought she had a weird coat pattern coming in. It's an irregular area of about 4" sort of below her stifle behind. She tends to sweat when she gets nervous more, not from work. Has anyone ever seen this before?

For background that may or may not be related, about nine months ago she felt weird/stiff, which I thought was from a vaccine. It wasn't. I went through many ideas of thinking she had pulled something in her chest, her back on the right and left and her leg right and left. I tried time off, different work, massage, etc. I honestly still have no clue. She starts of riding the first maybe half way around stiff and it feels like she doesn't want to lift her left front and then works outs of it. Way back in Jan. I think at a show she felt tight and on the video it looked like she was slamming down her right hind, like something was twinging. I basically started doing all kinds of stretching and massaging in her back, neck, hind legs and such, and she loves it and it makes a big difference. I try to think how stiff and tight I get and what I need to do to get it to work through.

I think she has always rested the left hind foot where the weird sweat pattern is, but I can't be sure. I'm pretty sure I've never seen this pattern until very recently.

It's been a weird spring with moving the horses to a new place, them not getting fed enough for awhile, not shedding out, thinking it was worms, getting the vet out, getting the food situation sorted, redoing all of my supplement per the vet for a grass hay only diet (we were half alfalfa before.) Quilla looked bad about two weeks and has been fat and shiny since. 23 year old mom lost a ton of weight and didn't shed and looked like crap, but is coming back looking great and shiny and putting that weight on. Quinn got ribby (which I have never seen on her) and coat not great, but felt fine otherwise. You can still see little rib, but her back is up and she seems all shed out (unlike Quilla who still has longer hair on her ears where I didn't clip her) but does not have her super shiny, waterproof coat she gets.

None of this may be related, just wondering it sparks something in anyone that they've seen/heard.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Odd sweating stains

Postby Sue B » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Lad had that after he injured his stifle, but I attributed it to all the damge he'd done to the skin--he basically shredded all the skin around his flank and stifle in a blanket accident. Then, years later, Tio tweaked his stifle when he lost his mind on the lunge one day. He also had a weird sweat spot near his stifle which lasted about a year; haven't seen it this year no matter how hot he gets and his stifle is now completely healed up. So maybe she tweaked her stifle?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:57 pm

I've heard of patchy sweating like that when horses have Sweeney shoulder, which IIRC, is muscle or nerve damage where there are thin layers of muscle around the scapula. I had a mare that would sweat there, but it went away as she became more fit. Here is a paper about denervation and patchy sweating (didn't read past the abstract, but maybe a lead for you). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .tb00091.x
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:01 pm

Interesting. Thank you. This has given me something to think about. It is about 10" below the stifle, so doesn't seem to be there. But the nerve thing makes sense. Maybe she did something or someone (probably her sister, they've been grumpy to each other lately) bit or kicked her and it caused some damage, but not too much.

I think about myself and what I do when I have a twinge or something, and lately (as I am older) how when I exercise I sweat so much more than I used to. I will play around with adding some tissue massage/manipulation in that area, just like I do with myself when I feel things like that.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:16 am

anecdotal information.

Friends horse had a bad jumping fall onto his neck. After that he would never break sweat in this fying-pan sized patch , when he was sweaty. The area was always dry.

Conversely, he would sometimes break out in a sweat on the patch only.

we always presumed a nerve damage, disruption

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:56 am

Thank you , hoopoe. All of it makes sense. Something happened that caused some minor damage. She is being really grumpy with mom and sister, so maybe there have been some changes in the new herd that caused this.

I'm going to see if I can repair it! This is a first for me.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:35 am

Like others, I've seen this related to injury/nerve damage. It can look really weird/striking!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:49 pm

Just wanted to update this. I put Quinn on magnesium on and off to see if it helps her. She hasn't had it in awhile. I just put her back on it. No more weird sweating like right away. I would think it has to have so relation!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:54 am

Doesn't magnesium have a lot to do with healthy muscle function? Would makes sense! Pretty neat to hear that result.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:47 am

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Doesn't magnesium have a lot to do with healthy muscle function? Would makes sense! Pretty neat to hear that result.

It does, but you know how impossible it is to see cause and effect in most things. Pretty cool. I can't imagine she had a weird two week thing that went away. It would be interesting to see if it works with damaged tissue that had that effect.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:02 am

Sure makes you feel like money well spent! Very interesting!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”