filling a hoof crack

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

filling a hoof crack

Postby blob » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:26 am

RP has a hoof crack on his front hoof that I've been trying to manage. It's not that long right now and I'd like to keep it that way, so we can trim it off. Farrier isn't very concerned, but I'd like to slow it down/stop it enough that we can trim it off in a couple cycles.

I want to use something on it, but I'm torn about which product to try. Has anyone used any of the following products and have any thoughts on what might work best:

*B Gone white line treatment
*Life Data Hoof Clay
*Keratax hoof putty
*keratax nail hole damage repair
*SBS crack filler kit

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: filling a hoof crack

Postby Tanga » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:49 am

I am no expert, but my own horses' bare feet, but I am on a lot of barefoot groups. as far as I know, you can't fill a crack with anything and have it be useful. Cut in above it so it stops the crack and that's about it. It seems most of the things you listed are to prevent infection and such. But keeping it open the best way to do that.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Tanga wrote:I am no expert, but my own horses' bare feet, but I am on a lot of barefoot groups. as far as I know, you can't fill a crack with anything and have it be useful. Cut in above it so it stops the crack and that's about it. It seems most of the things you listed are to prevent infection and such. But keeping it open the best way to do that.

Well, but I think that's the point, I tiny crack is hard to keep clean, so to keep it fungus free I do need to get something in there and preferably something with some staying power. I've been doing iodine. But I can't do that multiple times a day and so it's not very effective

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:01 pm

Having dealt with a similar problem, regarding white line disease, I found packing the defect/deficit area with a metronidazole pack that I concocted to work the best. I would do it daily to every other day depending on the weather. Monty had some issues many years ago and I ended up dealing with it for close to a year through year end awards, state and regional championships etc. My farrier was pretty diligent in keeping a cut above and stabilizing the entire area cut away with clips on the shoe which did keep him sound throughout the whole time. This was on his hind and he was doing second level/third level work.

ETA: once we had it resolved the issue never returned despite no change in routine management.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:29 pm

My farrier, bless his heart, tends to be a bit heavy-handed with the rasping, despite my diplomatic reminders to trim instead of rasp. As such, he's created cracks before, most recently in a front midline. I used Tuff Stuff, the noxious fumes liquid in the clear plastic bottle, that some use to put shine on hooves. Worked well for me to keep a small crack from advancing until the next reset.

Once, when farrier created midline cracks on both hinds, he attempted to file a small cut at the top end to keep cracks from advancing, but that only made matters worse, since you've got to be careful how deeply your incision goes. Personally I wouldn't go that route again on my horse.

You might also putting a few drops of Dura Sole there until crack can be addressed, but the hoof will be purple color.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:32 pm

We just dealt with this on Juliet. Crack got stuff up
in it and abscessed. We packed the hole that had to be dug with cotton to keep crap out of it. Used magna paste (epsom salt poultice) in the cavity. If you are concerned with white line I would treat the crack with some white line treatment like clean trax

This wet summer has not been kind to their feet

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks all, most of the products I listed are white line treatments but will work on other fungi as well. I went ahead and ordered some of the B Gone.

I'm a bit frustrated with the issue because I was keeping things fairly manageable until I went out of town. I came back to things having gotten worse. Sigh.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”