Me feeding straight ingredients to help . . .

Tanga
500 post plus club

Me feeding straight ingredients to help . . .

Postby Tanga » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:42 am

I never like to feed just a bunch of stuff because I don't know what works, so I'm always trying ingredients to see what will work.

On my quest to see if maybe Quinn has ulcers/tummy issues (despite being out 24/7 and food all of the time!) and me having a LOT of aloe vera in my yard, I started with that. I have become a expert dryer. (I worked at food banks for a year and a half starting with Covid and would take home the "bad" fruit and practiced drying everything. I got it down to a silicone sheet on a cookie sheet in the oven at lowest heat until dry. I did slices, but I think it works best to blend one thing or a combination and pour that on the sheets.) I have been drying a ton of aloe and started feeding it to Quinn and mom (just cause.) It dries up SO much, just a little pinch is equal to like a cup. I think I'm almost on two weeks, but I think I might be helping. Quinn seems a little less her stressy tight self, and mom seems to be finally putting on some weight. (It might be they final got some better hay, too.)

Mom is coming 24 and is probably Cushings, but I don't want to put her on Prascend, and it is very expensive. She was looking good about a year ago and then got a lot thinner and lost muscle pretty suddenly. But so did Quinn. So, I don't know what is is/was. I have been trying a lot of everything over the last year. I got pea protein powder to get her extra protein (80%, so by far the highest) and se's been on oil, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

So, I researched everything on "natural" things for Cushings and the ingredients in products for that. The main thing that seems to help is chaste berry. And then I was looking for things for ulcers and tight, nervous horses for Quinn--main thing is marshmallow root. I found a new black to buy bulk and got a little out of control. Since it was free shipping over $300 AND I got 15% off my first order, I ordered everything that might be of help and they have a GREAT deal on stevia, so I got that for myself (no sugar natural sweeter I always use) which is about 1/4 of what it is on Amazon. I got two boxes with about 50 lbs full of herbs today! https://www.herbco.com/c-2-bulk-herbs-spices.aspx

And they didn't have pea protein, but I found a new place closer that has it after my last place started charging postage, and it is a better price. So, I have another $150 (to get free shipping) worth of protein and a few other things coming from them, because they have glucosamine, magnesium, and turmeric way cheaper than anywhere else. https://www.nutrivitashop.com/pea-prote ... usp-grade/

So, I am going to play with adding supplements to see what works. Mom is creaky, so already added turmeric, but adding just chaste berry to see what goes. For Quinn going to start with adding the marshmallow root, chamomile, and spearmint (as an appetite stimulant, and it smells so good, I'm making tea with it.)

For mom, other ingredients I got that are in cushings supplements and help with weight and arthritis that I will play with adding are ginseng, rosehips, nettle, marshmallow root, spearmint, elecampane, chamomile, fennel, garlic, ginger, hawthorne, and dandellion and the pea protein.

For Quinn for maybe ulcer/tummy issues, nervousness, tightness, loss of topline I'm going to add eleuthera, dandelion, ginkgo, garlic, ginger, and pea protein.

So i thought I'd share in case anyone was interested in any of it.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: Me feeding straight ingredients to help . . .

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:15 pm

I’ll be interested in your results! I have three cushenoid horses on Prascend. In the past I have had good luck with the compounded Pergolide powder which is much cheaper. Unfortunately my compounding source no longer makes it. Also I thought you might be interested. Chasteberry is from the Vitex Tree. I have three of them I planted on my property. They are quite pretty large bushy type small trees. They bloom in spring with beautiful white or purple flowers. I would think they would grow in the Bay Area.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Me feeding straight ingredients to help . . .

Postby Tanga » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:38 pm

Srhorselady wrote:I’ll be interested in your results! I have three cushenoid horses on Prascend. In the past I have had good luck with the compounded Pergolide powder which is much cheaper. Unfortunately my compounding source no longer makes it. Also I thought you might be interested. Chasteberry is from the Vitex Tree. I have three of them I planted on my property. They are quite pretty large bushy type small trees. They bloom in spring with beautiful white or purple flowers. I would think they would grow in the Bay Area.

I will let you know. I did not know the tree grew here! I don't know if it would be viable to try to grow a tree to get it, but you could! Do you get a lot of berries? I suppose you could dry and grind them.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”