Stocking Up - Solved

calvin
Herd Member

Stocking Up - Solved

Postby calvin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:08 pm

My older horse's hind legs were stocking up rather badly overnight (stalled). He was not lame. They looked like stove pipes. The swelling went down when he was worked. It is winter. He is furry. Problem was solved when the legs were clipped. Just thought I would pass this along.

westisbest
Herd Member

Re: Stocking Up - Solved

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:13 pm

So they weren't stocked up? or just looked like they were? I have been thinking the same. My older guy now 22 has always been prone to "cankles" ie wind puffs from high level eventing for years. Decided I would clip his four white socks soon as they always look worse when unclipped.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi Westi - they were definitely stocked up (hind legs only) - he has four white stockings, and last year was AWFUL for scratches! I could not figure out the problem this year when this issue first arose. He did not have scratches, no abrasions, nothing. He is 20.5 years old. Anyway, clipping *seems* to have resolved the issue completely! I was surprised.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 pm

calvin wrote:Hi Westi - they were definitely stocked up (hind legs only) - he has four white stockings, and last year was AWFUL for scratches! I could not figure out the problem this year when this issue first arose. He did not have scratches, no abrasions, nothing. He is 20.5 years old. Anyway, clipping *seems* to have resolved the issue completely! I was surprised.

That's interesting. Can't really see why it would work? but a nice easy fix.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 pm

westisbest wrote:That's interesting. Can't really see why it would work? but a nice easy fix.

I read that the white hairs are coarser so somehow trap the moisture and that can lead to scratches.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Yes but Calvin says no scratches. Maybe in a damp climate tho there is still trapped moisture that leads to some kind of irritation.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 am

No scratches this year - but let's not talk about last year! You are right, Kande - there is something about those lovely white stockings ....I am AMAZED that the clipping solved the problem and I do not know why this worked.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:09 am

westisbest wrote:Yes but Calvin says no scratches. Maybe in a damp climate tho there is still trapped moisture that leads to some kind of irritation.

Didn't Calvin say the white hairs were clipped off, which would have removed the coarse hair that trapped the moisture?

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:55 pm

kande50 wrote:
Didn't Calvin say the white hairs were clipped off, which would have removed the coarse hair that trapped the moisture?

calvin wrote: My older horse's hind legs were stocking up rather badly overnight (stalled).
calvin wrote: Problem was solved when the legs were clipped.

kande, I read that the horse was stocking up when unclipped and stopped stocking up once it was clipped.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Yes, Code 3 and sorry Kande if I was not clear. I was very, very surprised to see that the stocking up ceased after the horse's legs were clipped. He was actually stocking up. With exercise, the swelling abated. Having fought scratches for over a year, last year, that was my first thought. However, there were no scratches this year (yet!). There were no abrasions. The skin was unbroken. He was clipped before a clinic. That solved the problem. I still do not know why, but perhaps Kande is right - perhaps coarse white hair holds coarse heat and moisture.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Code3 wrote:
kande50 wrote:

calvin wrote: My older horse's hind legs were stocking up rather badly overnight (stalled).
calvin wrote: Problem was solved when the legs were clipped.

kande, I read that the horse was stocking up when unclipped and stopped stocking up once it was clipped.

I was talking about the scratches rather than the stocking up, but thought the stocking up was probably related to the scratches? So once the coarse hairs were clipped it cured the scratches, which cured the stocking up. But now it sounds like there were no scratches this year but he was still stocking up, until he was clipped?

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:27 pm

Clipping last year did NOT cure the scratches. Mupuricin / Murpuricin (sp?) plus DMSO led to a solution last year. This year, the issue was "unexplained stocking up" in the absence of any obvious physical reason. Clipping seems to have resolved the issue. I do not understand why this worked, but I simply wanted to pass this experience along to those who may be looking at this issue.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”