Struggles in Cantering Up Hills

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Struggles in Cantering Up Hills

Postby PNG_Pony » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:28 pm

So, I'm throwing this question into this forum because if it's merely a training/strength issue, then I have a plan, but if it's a potential vet issue, then I want some ideas.

Background: I live in a *very* mountainous area, and the horses are on very hilly pasture 24/7. Rowena is a 5 year old, 14.2 hh Appaloosa, one year under saddle, and generally has a weak hindquarter. We've done lots of walking up and down hills to strengthen her, and now she easily and eagerly powers up them, no matter what I point her at. And I have no vet or farrier or physio or any expert to talk to me in this country. So welcome, armchair professionals!

This last week I asked her to canter up the hills (we've done some trotting, not a problem). Suddenly, that was a really big deal for her--she ended up stopping halfway up and really wasn't interested in continuing. I gave her long breaks in between, with easy movement on flat ground for her to catch her breath and asked her to try a few more times. She started off very gallantly, but each time, it was a bit of a struggle, and she tripped several times. (I wish I could give you a gradient, but I have no clue how to measure. These are not just little slopes.)

Now, her canter is very flat, minimal power, and has almost no jump; it's definitely her weakest gait (it used to look like a bunny rabbit). I always had been under the impression that walking up hills is far more difficult for a horse than cantering, but maybe for her, that's not the case? Do you think it's just a strength/weakness issue that makes this difficult for her, or should I be concerned about something causing pain (like in the sacroiliac etc.)?

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Re: Struggles in Cantering Up Hills

Postby myleetlepony » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:27 am

Does she appear lame on the flat at all since? Especially at the canter?

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:13 am

does she canter uphill when turned out?

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:53 am

No signs of lameness. Her canter has always been weak, but it's developed into a solid, 3-beat gait now, and she's reasonably fit--30 min of arena trot and canter work or an hour trail ride and she barely raises a sweat or breathes hard.

In the past she never cantered in the pasture (only would trot fast). Now she will happily canter if the herd does, but she doesn't run on her own. She's a very forward horse but not hot. She almost never refuses the canter under saddle (and will almost "beg" to canter in the beginning of the ride--it does a lot for loosening up). Oh, and she has recently discovered flying changes on her own, so the ability is there.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm

I also have a 5 yo Appy mare that started out with no canter and still doesn't canter much of her own volition. However, she will canter up hills.

I'd maybe focus on big trot up the hills first. She might decide some of the time that canter would be preferable, but I think trot can help to develop the pushing power. Also, canter out of the ring but not on big slopes could help too. It might just be a lot for her to deal with, trying to hold the canter as well as navigate the hill and uneven terrain, so try to break it down and get her comfortable with cantering on trails, then add the slopes back in when she's handier. Also, look for the gentlest slopes you can find at first. It doesn't sound to me like a physical issue outside of weakness and inexperience.
Keep calm and canter on.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks! I've been enjoying watching your progression with Maya, since she sounds so similar to Rowena.

Good idea on the big trot and letting canter become her choice. I think you're right--I think it's more of a weakness and inexperience issue, so yes, the plan is to try to find some gentler slopes (flat ground outside the arena doesn't really exist). I might also try to find a calm horse for her to follow and see if that can give her some confidence.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Are you sure this isn't a balance issue for you? Are you hindering her in anyway going up hill? Behind the canter for instance? Is she out of breath when she stops? Does the saddle move and possibly pinch her?

Since canter is a weak gait for her, why not start by putting up some small jumps for her and have her jump them in the canter in the arena. Nothing big or elaborate, just something to encourage a really forward canter and bigger. Even doing 3-5 ground poles and having her in a REALLY forward canter. This may help you get together with her in the canter if you feel you might be struggling with her as well. My mare's canter wasn't the greatest, not horrible either but we went to a jumping clinic once and left with an amazing canter after three days of jumping (not hard! there was a lot of rest, relax, reward time). Taught me a lot about letting go myself in the canter too and that I might have been holding her back a bit.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm

It's definitely a possibility, since every little shift of my weight causes her to react. I was off her back in a light/2-point seat when we tried before, loose reins. We can canter forever on the flat and adjust within the gait, and I can switch between 2-point and sitting without a problem. She's not out of breath when she stops, but I have been staring at the saddle the last few times and wondering if I need to do some tweaking, since she has built quite a bit of muscle. She does wear a breastplate right now (the saddle doesn't slide back, but it's for some extra security)...it's never caused any problems before, but I wonder if it's putting pressure somewhere.

Yesterday we trotted up the same hills, and she was happy and eager. At the very end, she broke into a canter for the last few steps, and I praised her profusely... maybe all I need to do is put a banana at the top of the hill.

I would LOVE to put her over jumps and cavalletti (and she has showed great affinity for it before). Unfortunately, a year ago, an angry nearby village came through and either destroyed or stole all our jumps and cavalletti (along with other things). We're still in negotiations about that and can't set up any more until its resolved, otherwise within an hour of being set up, they'd be stolen. But, I think you're right, I think it would do great things for the both of us.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:31 pm

PNG_Pony wrote: Unfortunately, a year ago, an angry nearby village came through and either destroyed or stole all our jumps and cavalletti (along with other things). We're still in negotiations about that and can't set up any more until its resolved, otherwise within an hour of being set up, they'd be stolen.

Okay, that's a challenge few of us face! :shock:

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:18 pm

It's never a dull moment here, that's for sure!

I did some tack-tweaking, and we did more long trotting up hills. The last time up, she broke into a canter right away and maintained it the entire way up! It was the biggest, most bounding canter I've ever ridden on her. She got to the top and gave this huge snort/sigh, like she was surprised at herself. Of course, after that, she was a bit wired...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Yay, sounds like she is getting it?!

Responding to your Wednesday post, you mention 2-point on a loose rein. One thing that has taken some getting used to for me, is that Maya needs me there for support. It's not so much an issue for her galloping out on the trail, but she really needs me there for her with the contact and leg support over jumps. Maybe Rowena is looking for that same kind of support? My instinct is always to get out of their way to let them figure it out, but some horses are looking to their riders for more support and reassurance, so maybe play with the level of contact and see how she responds.
Keep calm and canter on.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 pm

I realized I never gave an update so for those who care...but here, over a month later of lots of trotting up hills, she now will regularly canter up one or two and will even hand-gallop. I just greatly underestimated how much strength she needed (and how long it would take to get there)!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Great update! I agree, it is surprising how much time it takes to develop strength.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”