Vitamin supplement for minimal pasture

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Vitamin supplement for minimal pasture

Postby Josette » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm trying to research a high quality vitamin supplement for minimal pasture. I know there are different types for horses on grass versus those without access. My horses are currently get grass/timothy hay Sentinel low starch feed.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: Vitamin supplement for minimal pasture

Postby Fatcat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:11 am

I use two, Smartpak thrive for my Morgan, and High Point grass pellets for my pony. I like both, but because they each have different needs, I use two different ones. In addition, for my area, I also need to add a selenium/vitamin E supplement (smartpak's), to these.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:45 pm

I would have thought that you could do a range of blood tests to figure out what the horse is deficient or has excess in, in the form of vitamins and minerals.

I have done this before, and found the results very interesting, I could therefore supplement in what the horses needed... Ended up saving money.

For instance Selenium is seriously bad if you OD you horses on it, so you would only want to use a supplement with selenium if it is deficient.

Other than that, there is a range here called Platinum. This is probably (in my opinion) the best mineral/vitamin supplement mix on the market at the moment.
I don't hard feed a few of my horses, so there is a mineral block on the market, designed for paddock use. It comes in a bucket, and you leave it in their paddock, they will use it when they want to. It lasts a fairly long time, unless a horse gets really stuck into it, and they can empty the bucket in a week!

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:06 pm

I use horsetech high point grass. I used to use smartpak smartvite but then they really increased the price a couple years ago.

I think they will custom order a blend for your needs. Customer service is awesome.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”