Safe Flea Prevention for dogs and cat

Artemis
Greenie

Safe Flea Prevention for dogs and cat

Postby Artemis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:08 pm

I have 2 dogs - ancient German shepherd and neurotic chihuahua. Neither dog does more than putter around the yard at home. They both spend most of their day indoors. I also have 1 indoor cat.

We've been alternating between Frontline and Advantage for flea control for years. The products have worked, however I am concerned about the toxicity levels the pets are getting, and us too.

Has anyone had success using Bug Off Garlic from Springtime? I get the catalogs and love reading the great reviews. I'm tempted to give it a try.
https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

Or maybe you use something else that works for fleas? I'm in the Pacific North West. We aren't terribly buggy - but I learned the hard way we are not immune -
Ages ago we had a flea infestation. It was a nightmare of washing bedding, vacuuming, washing pets, etc. - repeated many times. I don't want to go through that again.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Safe Flea Prevention for dogs and cat

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:00 am

Garlic does not work

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:40 pm

I switched to using the comfortis pill for the dog. He usually only gets fleas maybe twice a year. If I give the pill right away it takes care of it. If I didn't get it right away and my indoor cats picked up fleas I use advantage on them. That rarely happens though. Vet wanted me to start my little kittens on something monthly no matter what. They will be five this summer (indoor only cats) and I have only had to use advantage maybe three times in their whole lives. I don't like putting stuff on them unless it's really necessary. Frontline plus stopped working for my dog so that was one reason I went to the pill. He doesn't get ticks thank goodness.

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:14 pm

I was worried the garlic is too good to be true. Kitty can't partake in any case.
I was reading online: One person had used garlic and thought it was working, apparently had no clue until she brought her dogs into the groomers. She was informed her animals were infested with fleas. That makes the reviews for garlic a bit suspect.

I'll ask the vet about the flea pill. I'd heard about it last year and then promptly forgot about that option.

Thanks! :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:10 pm

I had a bad flea infestation last year between cats and dogs. I believe I used oral Bravecto for the dogs good for 3 months. I used a topical on the cats which I need to reorder again. (forgot the name) Bad tick problem too in our area and this was the only med that worked. Frontline stopped working and was a waste of money.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:07 pm

I use "Flea Go" on the carpets twice yearly when there is no sign of fleas. I wash their bedding weekly. If the dogs needs something topical (it's been three years since they have) I use lavender. I have a lab who reacts horribly to any chemical so this route works for us.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:20 am

Best thimg ever is Fleabusters, IMO. I do it myself, not the company, so it's cheap. Takes a while, though, as you have to work it into the gaps in your hardwood, into the carpets, etc. But just once a year. My dogs are still Frontlined against ticks, as around me there is cytauxzoonisis (carried by bobcats and spread to domestic cats via ticks--and fatal for domestic cats, as I know all too well :-( ). The dogs can bring ticks into the house, so they get Frontline. But we had fleas despite the FL a few years ago--Fleabusters took care of them, non-toxically!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:55 pm

I have used comfortis and can be used for cats as well. Great stuff when just needed for fleas. I am using Bravecto now which gets ticks as well. My dogs squirrel hunt on the farm and will periodically pick up a tick or two.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Recently changed to Bravecto for Paris. We're also in PNW "flea and tick country" and this has worked the best. She is actually allergic to flea bites, so I know immediately if we have an issue.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:29 pm

I suggest you look into Precor, it's an IGR (insect growth hormone regulator) not a pesticide. It's very safe, and not messy. I used to be a sales rep for one of the biggest flea and tick product companies. I'm very comfortable with Precor/methoprene. I don't use spot on products on my dogs. I would if I had to since I myself am highly allergic to fleas, but it's a last resort to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Precor-IGR-Regul ... entries*=0

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”