Trying to find a non soy diet

svvdressage
Herd Member

Trying to find a non soy diet

Postby svvdressage » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:18 am

Last fall my mare started to lactate clear fluid last fall. This spring she started to do the same. I have done some online research and would like to try to eliminate all/most soy from her diet. Right now she is getting 5lbs of Purina Ultium, 1lb of rice bran, a vitamin (with a bit of soy), msm and all the grass hay she can eat. Most days she also gets 1lb of rolled oats...I give it to her after I ride so she dsn't hate coming in. She is somewhat of a hard keeper. Do I switch her to all rolled oats? Is there such a thing as a retail horse feed that dsn't contain soy? Any suggestions would be great!!

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Trying to find a non soy diet

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:02 am

I've been no soy for some time. My boys at home get a mix of 2 parts whole oats to 1 part alfalfa pellets to 1 part rice bran meal, plus a multivitamin. They also get alfalfa hay. Boarded boy gets 3 quarts alfalfa pellets and a quart of rice bran meal in the pm, and 2lbs Renew Gold in the am, plus at the moment, alfalfa hay, though when he moves at the end of the month he will go to grass hay,which I think will be better for his busy brain...

Take a look at renew gold. We have been very happy with the results. You can feed a whole lot less than other concentrates with good results.

(My autocorrect didn't recognize "oats" so we had "whole oaths" to start with :))

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:14 pm

I also feed soy-free. My mare gets higher fat/low sugar diet from a free feed grass hay plus 3 meals a day of:
-alfalfa pellets
-coolstance (coconut copra)*
-rice bran*
-whole flax seeds*
-camelina oil
-vit/min suppl and other suppl.

*Renew Gold is a nice product combining coolstance, rice bran and flax (I just can't get it near me).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:55 am

I also feed Renew Gold with a multi vitamin. Add alfalfa for protein as needed.
Keep calm and canter on.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm feeding Renew Gold with a multi vitamin with alfalfa cubes (adding camelina oil as well). StraightForward, what multi vitamin are you feeding?

I used to feed Purina Ultium but he would go off it periodically and especially in the winter. Finally got tired of stressing about it and made the switch last spring. He's doing great on it and been pretty consistent about eating it. This past spring and summer he was super shiny too. His coat has always looked good and shiny but this spring he was really shiny! :mrgreen:

Actually, I just saw that Triple Crown has a soy-free feed

https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/product ... horsefeed/
Last edited by Larbear on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:34 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I also feed soy-free. My mare gets higher fat/low sugar diet from a free feed grass hay plus 3 meals a day of:
-alfalfa pellets
-rice bran*
-whole flax seeds*
-camelina oil

*Renew Gold is a nice product combining coolstance, rice bran and flax (I just can't get it near me).

Bummer about the Renew Gold. I take it you know if any of your local feed/tack shops can order stuff from Manna Pro they can order the Renew Gold eh? What vit/min supplements are you feeding?

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm very interested in this topic and trying to learn what was the reason to avoid soy based feeds? I just looked up the TC Natural feed then I read it was high in starch. My guys have minimal access to grass and I am always concerned for founder. I would like to feed a more natural diet and supplement as I always feel they are missing out due to poor pasture. Currently they get timothy/grass hay mix with Sentinel LS feed. Supplements with a vitamin and probiotics as older horse gets some GI issues in the winter. Pony has seasonal allergies so I'm trying a supplement with MSM and spirillum.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Here you can (with difficulty) get pellets that are a by product of processing hemp seed for oil. It is still a complete protein source (all 10 required AAs) for horses. They love it. The problem is the supply, which is intermittent due to processing. It is a better balance of Omega 3-6-9 than Flaxseed (usually called Linseed here), anti inflammatory.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Josette wrote:I'm very interested in this topic and trying to learn what was the reason to avoid soy based feeds? I just looked up the TC Natural feed then I read it was high in starch. My guys have minimal access to grass and I am always concerned for founder. I would like to feed a more natural diet and supplement as I always feel they are missing out due to poor pasture. Currently they get timothy/grass hay mix with Sentinel LS feed. Supplements with a vitamin and probiotics as older horse gets some GI issues in the winter. Pony has seasonal allergies so I'm trying a supplement with MSM and spirillum.

Soy contains phytoestrogens called isoflavones that may mimic the activity of the hormone estrogen in your body...my non prego mare is lactating and it freaks me out :o ;)

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Larbear wrote:
piedmontfields wrote:I also feed soy-free. My mare gets higher fat/low sugar diet from a free feed grass hay plus 3 meals a day of:
-alfalfa pellets
-rice bran*
-whole flax seeds*
-camelina oil

Bummer about the Renew Gold. I take it you know if any of your local feed/tack shops can order stuff from Manna Pro they can order the Renew Gold eh? What vit/min supplements are you feeding?

All Tractor Supply stores can order single bags. Mine will get here a week from Tuesday!

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:02 am

I think you'll like the Renew Gold. My WB gets it. My chubby Arab does not. :-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Larbear wrote:I'm feeding Renew Gold with a multi vitamin with alfalfa cubes (adding camelina oil as well). StraightForward, what multi vitamin are you feeding?

I used to feed Purina Ultium but he would go off it periodically and especially in the winter. Finally got tired of stressing about it and made the switch last spring. He's doing great on it and been pretty consistent about eating it. This past spring and summer he was super shiny too. His coat has always looked good and shiny but this spring he was really shiny! :mrgreen:

Actually, I just saw that Triple Crown has a soy-free feed

https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/product ... horsefeed/

I'm feeding Equerry's Choice, but honestly, mostly because it's available at my local feed store for cheap, and has probiotics, biotin and selenium. One of these days I'll look more closely at it and decide if I want to switch things up. I have one retiree and one 3 year old just starting her ground work, so it's not like I'm feeding a high-performance athlete at this point (YMMV). http://marystack.com/equerrys-choice-pe ... fgodBKkL7A
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Josette wrote:I'm very interested in this topic and trying to learn what was the reason to avoid soy based feeds? I just looked up the TC Natural feed then I read it was high in starch. My guys have minimal access to grass and I am always concerned for founder. I would like to feed a more natural diet and supplement as I always feel they are missing out due to poor pasture. Currently they get timothy/grass hay mix with Sentinel LS feed. Supplements with a vitamin and probiotics as older horse gets some GI issues in the winter. Pony has seasonal allergies so I'm trying a supplement with MSM and spirillum.

My previous horse, and Appaloosa mare, seemed to get hindgut irritation from soy. After a week or two on LMF ration balancer, she developed what I called "leaky butt" which cleared up within a few days of taking her off it (to be fair, it re-occurred to a lesser degree when she was off soy and I had to take some additional steps to get her poops more agreeable).
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Funnily enough, my appaloosa is the reason we don't do soy around here. He gets colicky and gassy from it--in very small quantities. Watch the horse treats!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”