Signs of Ulcers?

TeresaA
Herd Member

Signs of Ulcers?

Postby TeresaA » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:56 pm

With the weather easing up I've been able to start working my mare. Before we started I was noting how calm and cool she had become over the winter compared to last year. As we started working I noticed a change in behaviour. I at first thought that she might be coming into heat but she showed no signs. I was then reading a blog where the writer was talking about using palpation. i was curious and started researching and found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr05hMmLCY4

:shock:
As i watched it I realized that Carmen was showing the signs of sensitivity:
-girthiness when I put her saddle on (new)
- not wanting me to touch her sides or brush hard where the girth runs (new)
- balking at going forward (not new, was there last year)
- sensitivity to touching her belly right behind her front legs (not new, thought she was 'ticklish')

I started wondering if maybe she was starting to get some ulcers. I purchased a supplement (AlphaOmega Gastric FX). I figured that it wouldn't hurt and might help. I also added some alfalfa to her diet. (I should mention that she's fed a wee bit of fat & fibre and has pretty much free access to hay 20 hours of the day and is outside all day).

After a day I thought I saw a bit of improvement. Today marked day 3 and all of the symptoms above have disappeared and the soft, calm look is back in her eye.

So it could be placebo but I think I'll keep her on it for a while longer and see.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Signs of Ulcers?

Postby orono » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 am

That's the regular course of action for suspected ulcers - treat and see if symptoms go away. Hope it continues to help her!

Code3
Herd Member

Re: Signs of Ulcers?

Postby Code3 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Mark DePaolo, many years ago, was in Oregon and I've used him as a vet. I think very highly of him and am glad to see this video going around.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”