Short Back????

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Short Back????

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Many of the baroque breeds are considered short backed and need either a hoop tree or a saddle designed for short backs.....

How can I tell if my andalusian is short backed?

I have had 3 different saddle fitters check out my saddles and none of them said she was short backed - but, maybe I should have asked..or would a saddle for short backed horses work better on her than what I'm using........

StraightForward

Re: Short Back????

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Back length for saddle fitting is determined by the distance from where the tree points should lie behind the scapula to the 18th rib. While it might *look* like a saddle fits, it could be bearing weight in the lumbar region behind the ribs, which stresses the back.

Hoop trees are dictated on how *wide* a horse is, and the shape of that width, rather than back length. The only way I can think if it accommodating shorter back is if it's fitted to sit over the scapula. I've heard that this is how gaited horse saddles are fitted, but it would be unusual for a regular dressage saddle, as far as I know.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 pm

This explains the back length:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0BryiqVzDY

I'd say your saddle fitters would have measured?

The shape of the horses back, if it's the A frame then a normal gullet. If they are really wide they tend to do better with a hoop tree.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:26 am

Thanks for the responses and the video.

None of the three fitters actually measured her back.

Just by watching the video I'd say she doesn't have a short back, but I am going to try and measure her just to be sure and to be sure that I'm placing my saddle in the right spot.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 pm

Specific breeds/types do tend to have a more compact frame and thus higher likelihood of a short back; however, keep in mind that mares within those breeds are more likely to not have as short of a back as their male counterparts. Mares have to have some depth of frame to accommodate foals. While I haven't had a 'long back' welsh cob of either sex, my mares do have longer backs compared to their male siblings/counterparts. The saddle night'mare' has been experienced with both sexes in my breed and my worse nightmare was with one of my mares but it was due to her flat wither and beer keg shape not back length. The second worst saddle fitting nightmare was with my stinker pony who is only 13 hands and has a relatively short back. Good luck with your saddle fitting. It's only second to buying/selling horses in my most hated tasks.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks for further explanation and your experience!!

Gestalt
Greenie

Postby Gestalt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

exvet wrote:Specific breeds/types do tend to have a more compact frame and thus higher likelihood of a short back; however, keep in mind that mares within those breeds are more likely to not have as short of a back as their male counterparts. Mares have to have some depth of frame to accommodate foals. While I haven't had a 'long back' welsh cob of either sex, my mares do have longer backs compared to their male siblings/counterparts. The saddle night'mare' has been experienced with both sexes in my breed and my worse nightmare was with one of my mares but it was due to her flat wither and beer keg shape not back length. The second worst saddle fitting nightmare was with my stinker pony who is only 13 hands and has a relatively short back. Good luck with your saddle fitting. It's only second to buying/selling horses in my most hated tasks.

exvet, in saddling short backed, round girthed horses, are you able to use this guide to "locking" the saddle in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4hWnlmxqPc

There's an Arab at my barn that is flat across his back with a little wither. His owner uses two breast collars and was talking about getting a crupper to help hold the saddle in place. I've seen cruppers used on a couple of mules that were mainly trail ridden.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:02 am

Yes and no - I have been able to find the 'sweet spot' so to speak so that the saddle locks into position longitudinally - ie, behind the shoulder/wither; but, I still can have problems with the saddle - when girthed being pulled forward, hence I tend to prefer anatomic girths and I've had two that despite having distinct withers, they are so round behind the wither that even when I've solved the problem of the saddle creeping forward or backward from the sweet spot, it still will move from side to side. My gelding I'm currently riding has that problem except I'm able to balance in the saddle and prevent it from happening to any serious degree. I find most horses don't like or are easily irritated by cruppers. I try to avoid them at all costs; but, if there is no other way.....

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I too find my mares girth creeps forward a bit.

I like the Oglivy, thinline and thinline attached to back on track pads. I think they all help stabilize the saddle.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”