Welsh Registries/Sport pony registries

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Welsh Registries/Sport pony registries

Postby blob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:48 pm

I purchased a pony this past summer/fall and was told that he was welsh, but he's unregistered. He does have a very 'type' face, so I am inclined to believe that he is at least part welsh, but of course I don't know for sure.

I've been looking around at welsh registry and the north american sport pony registry trying to figure out what requirements would be needed to register him with either, but honestly i'm get lost in all the language and rules and am feeling a bit lost. I was hoping someone here might help me figure out what kind of information I might need to track down/what kind of process I might need to go to through in order to get him registered.

If I can't get him registered, it's not a huge deal of course, but if it's not too much of a pain, it seems like it could be worthwhile.

exvet

Re: Welsh Registries/Sport pony registries

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:13 am

I can only speak to the Welsh registry. Do you know either parent? If you can track down the breeder (owner of the mare at the time of foaling) and find out if either parent was registered half or full welsh then there is a process. It isn't cheap but it can be done if one of the parents is known (and as stated registered) and there is DNA on file or the parent is still alive to get DNA testing of yours and the parent done. Due to the cost, I elected not to pursue it for one of mine. The fees are quite high if not pursued through the recognized and preferred means (registered as a foal/yearling/two year old) and especially if no stallion report was filed.......but it is doable. There have also been 'amnesty years' where WPCSA discounted the higher fees to get it done in order to generate more revenue for themselves; but, I do not believe 2019 is 'one of those years' but who knows next year could be.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:11 am

Thanks, Exvet, that's good information to have.

And it's sounding like based on that, it might not be worth trying to pursue welsh registration. Not sure the steps and cost would be worth the benefit at this stage!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:12 pm

I was interested in it for breeding purposes only. I had a mare that was half-morgan and half-welsh cob who we showed in USDF/USEF shows and ACTHA competitions. She was registered with the Canadian morgan association as a half-bred, the USEF, the USDF, and ACTHA. All the DNA testing had already been done; but, since the WPCSA only recognized at the time the welsh-half of any cross-bred and I was breeding her to my purebred Welsh stallion, there was no gain for me in pursuing it. The cost was just too prohibitive. The current lessor of her sire, however, was wanting recognition of his get in this country and had approached me to pursue it. Good luck with your pursuits.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I think if I had breeding aspirations it might be worth the pursuit. But the pony in question is a gelding and the only real benefit for me would be All-Breed Awards, which is always fun, but not necessary.

He is eligible for a pony card, so there are some fun showing/award opportunities that open up with that.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Blob,

I just got the following announcement yesterday and thought I'd pass it on.....

WELSH PONY & COB SOCIETY OF AMERICA, INC.

Extra Extra Read All About It!

The WPCSA has instituted a registration amnesty from 1/1/2019 through 12/31/2019 available to all Ponies, Cobs, Half-Welsh, and Part-Breds ages two (2) and older. The reduced registration fee is $125 (excluding DNA typing). Additionally, the charges for transfers submitted with the application will be capped at two (2) fees. Any additional transfer fees over the maximum of two will be waved. If the animal is a stallion, the additional stud registration and DNA typing will be at regular fees if applicable. The late fees for any Stallion Service Reports (SSR’s) required in the registration process will be waived.

Thank you for your continued support!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:10 pm

That latest info from exvet sounds encouraging!

If WPCSA doesn't work out and you are mainly interested in competing for awards, see if your USDF GMO offers any awards for grade horses and ponies. For example, I belong to Rocky Mountain Dressage Society, which offers a year-end award for grade horses. Also, my chapter offers year-end awards for the pony division.

Maybe also investigate the NorthAmerican Sportpony Registry. They offer USDF All-Breed awards.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks, Exvet, will definitely look into that, sounds like that could lead to something!

@Canyon, yes my primary purpose would be for all-breeds and other added opportunities. He's a gelding, so there's no breeding benefit for me or for anyone else if I were to sell him.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”