Question about Papers for a PRE

TeresaA
Herd Member

Question about Papers for a PRE

Postby TeresaA » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi guys
In March I purchased a PRE (Andalusian) mare. She came with papers for USPREA and I wanted to transfer the ownership. I filled out the online form and paid a hefty amount. I just recieved a call and an email that I need a breeder code and that's another $295 US (which is close to 500 CAD). I don't want to be a breeder, I just want the papers to have my name as owner. I guess I thought that it was like the AQHA.

Do I need a breeder code? why?

Teresa

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Question about Papers for a PRE

Postby Canyon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:36 pm

I have never had a PRE, don't know anything about their registration/transfer process.

But, have you seen the USPRE FAQ page? It sounds like you need to pay for either a breeder code or an owner code (which I read somewhere is $50 or $75).

Good luck; you have a lovely mare!

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:04 pm

TeresaA wrote:Hi guys
In March I purchased a PRE (Andalusian) mare. She came with papers for USPREA and I wanted to transfer the ownership. I filled out the online form and paid a hefty amount. I just recieved a call and an email that I need a breeder code and that's another $295 US (which is close to 500 CAD). I don't want to be a breeder, I just want the papers to have my name as owner. I guess I thought that it was like the AQHA.

Do I need a breeder code? why?

Teresa

Congratulations on your new horse!

I'm not 100% sure why they want to charge you for the breeder code unless they think you are going to become a breeder of PREs. I'd have a chat with them about this as I think it is unreasonable to ask you to register with a breeder code if you have no intention of breeding your mare and producing PREs. I'm sure there was an owner category available so that transfers could be done without needing to pay for the expensive breeder code.

Normally here in NZ the new breeders of PREs join up with the local PRE representation Association [ACPRENZ] and then they apply for the ANCCE breeder code so that all horses owned and produced by them get loaded against their code in the ANCCE Spanish studbook. There is another Spanish PRE registry called MELPI which some of the other countries have joined in with, which may be the case in USA - I do not know which studbooks are operating there so you may have to ask some of the local breeders for some advice.

We run another separate local Association here in NZ mainly for registration and transfer of local purebred horses not eligible for the Spanish registry or for those who want dual registry, and for the partbreds which the Spanish do not register at all in their studbooks. You should check if your mare is registered under one of the other USA local registries too. ;)

Good luck with sorting it out!

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:05 pm

This is from the FAQ page on US site

"LG STUDBOOK FAQ’S Frequently Asked Questions about the LG Studbook

Why do I need a breeder or an owner code?

Either a breeder code or an owners code is required by ANCCE for all studbook services. You must have a breeders code before any services can be processed through our website at www.usprea.com under Breeder Services, LG Studbook. You need to register for a breeder code, select Service 700 ($295.00) if you are going to be breeding horses. An owners code, Service 802, should only be requested if you have no intention of breeding. A breeders code is also needed to inscribe horses in the ANCCE Studbook (Inscriptions). An owners code, Service 802, should only be requested if you have no intention of breeding and you are not requesting inscription."

So ask them for an owner code and you should be all sorted.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:58 pm

thanks guys. You are correct, I can get an owners code but the forms are not easy to find the website is tricky to navigate so I need to phone and sort it out.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:20 am

It's here : https://www.usprea.com/lg-stud-book-ser ... -code-802/

You can do it online or download the ANCCE pdf document on that page.

You may also need to fill in the International Solicitud [application for service] on this page https://www.usprea.com/lg-stud-book-services/ which can be downloaded at the top left of the page where it says click here to download pdf for services. This form usually accompanies any request for service through the studbook such as inscription of foals, change of ownership etc.

If you get stuck finding forms on USPREA you can also find them in the English forms section of the ANCCE website. http://www.lgancce.com/web2/?lang=en

It's a bit of a mission but once you've done it a couple of times you get used to doing all the paperwork. Just put in the service code 802 to get your owner number. ;) If you decide later to become a breeder I think they will allow you to update your membership to breeder with payment of the breeder code application. Cost me about $450 to become a breeder so it's not cheap!

You can also search horses in the studbook - under Services you will find the search engine "Search Horses" which allows you to view the details of any PRE horses in the system. Note it is a bit slow getting updated, just like the office there is a bit slow to process stuff!

Good luck!

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Why would she not be registered with IALHA?

I FINALLY got the microchip from the breeder for my mare (purchased March 2014) I believe he has received her papers (he sent me a text of them with her number) now I have to wait and see how long until he either sends them to me and hopefully they are signed so that I can get her transferred to me...UGH....

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 pm

So I thought I had it settled. Filled out the form for an Owner's code. Paid more money. Then had to phone to clear up some confusion because i need a Stud farm. I put in where she was bred because I don't have a stud farm. But I need to put in mine. So what the heck, I put in my farm name. I get an email with written instructions. Go to 'the website' (not listed), click on this button.

Couldn't figure out what website I was actually supposed to be on. An email later and I get that figured out. I have to log in first and then that button is there. That would have been useful info. All I want in her listed as being mine. But do they send a nice certificate like AQHA? No, I'm supposed to print it. Except that I can't. When I put in my username and password on click on the link to print (as per instructions) I get this message.
This option is only available for breeders.
If you request further information, please contact the main office of the LG PRE ANCCE Stud Book.

WTH? :evil: What did I pay money for? I just sent yet another email expressing my dissatisfaction with the whole process and asking for further help.

ARGHHHHH

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:18 am

Oh you poor thing! Why do some places make it so difficult to maneuver around their websites.

Wishing you luck to get this resolved!

Could the seller help you with this process at all?

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 am

Did you buy your PRE from a breeder? If so, they should be able to help you with the process. Although it was confusing, I didn't have any problems. With the breeder help, it wasn't that difficult.

Are you sure the sire and dam were revised by ANCCE?

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Wed May 11, 2016 1:10 am

greenhorse wrote:Did you buy your PRE from a breeder? If so, they should be able to help you with the process. Although it was confusing, I didn't have any problems. With the breeder help, it wasn't that difficult.

Are you sure the sire and dam were revised by ANCCE?

oh yes, they are registered- he sire was Gaucho III. I finally contacted the owner and she seems to be sorting it out for me.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”