Point billets

Point billets?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:36 pm

I have point billets because I wanted them
27%
I have point billets because that is how the saddle came.
36%
I do not have point billets
36%

Total votes: 11

no.stirrups
Novice

Point billets

Postby no.stirrups » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Point billets are standard on most dressage saddles, but most horses don't need them, and many go better without. I generally order saddles for my inventory with standard options, but based on customer feedback I'm considering ordering all my saddles without point billets in the future. So I'm interested in getting more opinions before I decide. TIA!

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Point billets

Postby musical comedy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:53 pm

The saddle came with them and I wanted them. They are, imo, a necessarily evil for some horses. I do realize the torque they can put on the wither area. However, when you have a horse with a certain conformation, they help.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 pm

When I ordered my saddle from Hennig per my pony's measurements - wide shoulders, I was advised NOT to use point billets as they would block his shoulder movement. In addition, I was advised to get a straighter cut back flap to again allow for his shoulder movement. It works well for me too being a petite rider but may not for someone with a long thigh. (Custom saddle) Saddle fit is personal to the horse and rider IMO. What works on one may not work on another. Some may need the point billets.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:50 pm

I have a round appy and ride in a Black Country Vinici, which I think would be considered a point billet. Since it's monoflap, there aren't any options for different billet configurations, but can't most regular flap saddles be set up to use point or regular billets, and then just have the billets moved to the individual's needs/preference? My experience is that a point billet and swing billet combo tend to keep the saddle at the right placement and I haven't had any issues with shoulder restriction, far as I can tell. However, I'm not riding upper-level horses that are really swinging their shoulder blades back in extension.
Keep calm and canter on.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Billet configuration can be changed, so it definitely is not a life-altering decision! And certainly if I were ordering for a particular horse I would order whatever works best for that horse. I was just curious what you all thought you might prefer to ride in on a trial. I suppose I could have 3 billets on all my stock saddles... :idea:

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:00 am

If I were buying second hand, I'd be looking for what suits the horse, but might have to accept what I could find in the right seat and gullet sizes.
If I were ordering a new saddle for a specific horse, I would order 1) to suit that horse *and* 2) to suit potential future horses... It's not impossible, but it is often difficult and expensive, to add billets in different places.

When I ordered my custom Albion, I had them add a rear-ward billet, for ease of future fitting options. It didn't cost much at time of manufacture. If the leather part ever annoys me I can cut the stitching to the web strap. Perhaps that could be something you consider - 3 web straps to appropriate places on the tree, and the 2 billets placed to suit the particular horse/owner.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:30 am

For me, there are not enough choices. My saddle (old Passier) has 4 (short) billets. The point billet is for use on young horses who have not yet developed muscling behind the scapula, so it is rarely used unless the horse is not yet muscled. Usually I use 2 & 3, rarely 4. Depends upon the horse. Personally I do not care for how the saddle fits with long billets/short girths; but then I don't like extended points, wide channels, nor thick seats either.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:55 am

galopp wrote: The point billet is for use on young horses who have not yet developed muscling behind the scapula, so it is rarely used unless the horse is not yet muscled.
False statement. A horse with a large barrel and a very forward girth groove needs a point billet.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Don't have them (well, actually, I'm doing the treeless thing now, so it's a moot point, but speaking for when I was using a treed saddle).
I found that my gelding went much better without, so we avoided them. The only saddle I had that came with point billets was my Albion SLK, but that had the option of moving it to a center billet.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:10 pm

They are a no go for me. I absolutely don't want the tree points "pulled" into my horse. A reason why I would rule out a saddle if it had them or have them changed.

musical comedy wrote:
galopp wrote: The point billet is for use on young horses who have not yet developed muscling behind the scapula, so it is rarely used unless the horse is not yet muscled.
False statement. A horse with a large barrel and a very forward girth groove needs a point billet.

You can still have a billet in front (for said forward girth groove) and not have it attached to the points of the tree.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:44 pm

AmityBee wrote:They are a no go for me. I absolutely don't want the tree points "pulled" into my horse. A reason why I would rule out a saddle if it had them or have them changed.

You can still have a billet in front (for said forward girth groove) and not have it attached to the points of the tree.
If you don't want a point billet that is your choice. The point billet from the tree point is the only way it works for some horses. It's a necessary evil. There is no alternative for some horses. My horse does just fine at advanced work for over a decade in a point billet and I have zero problem with his back or shoulder freedom.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 pm

I have a wide barreled forward girth groove horse that goes best in a point billet that's off the rear of the block. (An old Passier GG) Billets farther rearward- you can girth him up and pretty much watch the saddle slide forward no matter what the tree size.

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:02 am

Point billets are useful for some horses, depending on girth groove and shape. They can come out of the bottom of the block or angled out of the middle of the block. To answer another's comment, the Vinici doesn't have to have a point billet. It can have a billet just behind the point as well. When ordering a saddle, it can be useful to have a nylon tab put in place in order to change to a point billet more easily but often, the block might have to be considered in the change.

They can help stabilize a saddle on a round horse with a forward girth groove but they are not for every horse.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”