Winter paddock boots

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Winter paddock boots

Postby PaulaO » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Winter will be here quickly. I ride in paddocks. Any recommendations for insulated paddocks that really do keep one's feet warm? I'm thinking of getting whatever paddocks that do the job a half size larger to accommodate thicker socks.

Hayburner

Re: Winter paddock boots

Postby Hayburner » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 pm

I have yet to find a winter paddock that really keeps my feet warm. I spend many hours at the barn so I need my feet to be warm out of the saddle more than when I'm in the saddle. I can spend 4 hours on the ground and maybe 1/2 to 45 min in the saddle when it's cold.

I just wear my regular boots to ride in - for my non-riding time, I wear a Merrill insulated shoe/croc. I buy them a 1/2 size large to fit my thicker/ wool or alpaca socks. They have polartec and thinsulate, are they cute?? Hell no, but my feet never get cold.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:33 pm

PaulaO wrote:Winter will be here quickly. I ride in paddocks. Any recommendations for insulated paddocks that really do keep one's feet warm? I'm thinking of getting whatever paddocks that do the job a half size larger to accommodate thicker socks.

Depends how cold it gets. After freezing my toes in every winter riding boot I tried, I finally just got wider stirrups so that I can ride in regular winter boots. The ones with the felt liners are bulky, but they're super comfortable.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:37 pm

i too wear and ride in regular winter boots, i too use a bigger stirrup, and choose a winter boot with a reasonable arch and heel without very aggressively ridged soles. I have been known to ride in my uggs.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:57 pm

My favorite is Ariat Extreme insulated paddock boots. They keep my feet warm and comfortable to walk in. Waterproof too.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Josette wrote:My favorite is Ariat Extreme insulated paddock boots. They keep my feet warm and comfortable to walk in. Waterproof too.

These are great!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”