Replacing zipper in Mountain Horse jacket

texsuze
500 post plus club

Replacing zipper in Mountain Horse jacket

Postby texsuze » Sat May 06, 2017 4:16 pm

My very old, wonderful, still in perfect shape, perfect fit, original Mountain Horse riding jacket has a double zipper that won't work now. I found a zipper website (yep, just zippers) to order a new one. Local dry cleaners suggested me buying a zipper first, then having their alterations folks put it in.

I'm convinced any new zipper won't be as good as the YKK brand that is in there now, but I prefer having a zipper over using the snaps alone. Is this as straightforward as it seems? Anyone have tips for when coat zippers need replacing?

Backyarder3
Novice

Re: Replacing zipper in Mountain Horse jacket

Postby Backyarder3 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:28 pm

You can get a YKK zipper at Amazon. Putting it in is a breeze for their alterations people. Sewing stores may have good heavy (coat) zippers too.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks for the input!

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Removing the old zipper will probably be more time consuming than putting the new one in ;)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon May 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Nancy, that is probably true!

This winter I finally put a new zipper in my old Lands' End Squall parka, after years of nursing it along as I described here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=574&p=9432&hilit=zipper#p9432

I didn’t care how pretty it looked, as I only use the coat for barn chores at home. So, I cut the old zipper tapes out next to the seams and stitched the new zipper in, without opening any seams. I also used a one-way zipper about 6” shorter than the old two-way, since the double zipper foot seemed to be problematic.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 pm

I got 2 replacement zippers from Mountain Horse directly for free for a pair of winter boots - fixed the bad winter boot and ended up using the other in a pair of MH dress boots.

You could contact MH and see if they can send you a zipper for that specific jacket.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm

After making inquiries with them, Mtn. Horse says they'll be sending me a new zipper for my winter coat! Yippee, now to find a seamstress who can do the replacement. Thanks for the suggestion!

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Wed May 10, 2017 12:07 am

Canyon wrote:Nancy, that is probably true!

This winter I finally put a new zipper in my old Lands' End Squall parka, after years of nursing it along as I described here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=574&p=9432&hilit=zipper#p9432

I didn’t care how pretty it looked, as I only use the coat for barn chores at home. So, I cut the old zipper tapes out next to the seams and stitched the new zipper in, without opening any seams. I also used a one-way zipper about 6” shorter than the old two-way, since the double zipper foot seemed to be problematic.

Yes! That's the way to do it if you don't care how it looks. I've done this myself a couple of times.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”