Saddle fitting two saddles

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Saddle fitting two saddles

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 am

So the saddle fitter came to check my saddle. My horse lost his top line when he was retired and it is slowly coming back. The saddle is slipping less and less as he builds muscle back but it is still slipping and I was sick of getting off to re-position every ride.

First she tested to see if he had back pain which he did not. I knew that he had no back pain because as the saddle slipped I was worried about that and tested it often.

I have a Custom Star. She pulled out so much wool flocking that if you balled it up it would be the size of a soccer ball. I have never seen so much flocking pulled out of a saddle. It was too much and made the saddle too hard. After she was done and I tried it, there was an obvious feeling of being closer to the horse. I really liked the result and am shocked his back wasn't sore with how hard it was compared to how soft it finally was.

Then I asked her to help with a padding system for my Forestier which has no flocking. I wanted to try to ride in it again if it fit. It mostly fit but the clearance at the withers was not really enough with a rider up. She thought one pad in the front pocket of the Mattes would lift it up enough. As much as I love how easy it is to ride in the Custom, I think I could raise my game if I learned how to ride as well in the Forestier which is almost like a bareback pad. I am guessing that is the lightest dressage saddle made other than perhaps the synthetic saddles which I think are light but I am not sure.

musical comedy

Re: Saddle fitting two saddles

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 am

What's the story on the Forestier? I never heard of it before. Just googled it, and not that much info on their site. What do you mean, no flocking? Is it foam stuffed like many French saddles? Did you get yours custom made? Is it light weight? How much do they cost. I'm in need of a saddle that fits me and my horse, but I find it risky to purchase any saddle that doesn't have a local rep.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 am

A bunch of us including our instructor bought this Forestier dressage saddle (all one model) in about 2005. It is a foam saddle, monoflap and extremely light. Our instructor was a regional champion at GP in the saddle and that impressed me at the time!

It is not custom made. We all had the same saddle in different sizes. The knee pads are large but they are spongy and very soft. They are just suggestions even though they look large. I think I paid $2700 CDN back (I don't know the exchange rate) then but I can't swear to that.

The thing with the Forestier is even though it is not flockable, it fit every single horse in that barn whose owner bought it. It fit my horse in 2005 and onward and it almost fit my horse now. It's magic that way. I think it would accommodate your long femur. Look, I can send you the saddle if you can't find one and see if it fits you and your horse. If it does you can use it since I am not sure I am serious about getting out of the Custom because of how easy it makes riding.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:28 am

It's the Saumur model.

Here is someone on COTH saying her Saumur fits all four of her horses...

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/foru ... ost1975188

It's magic.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I don't think they make that model any longer. I like this model with the short block. I can't tolerate the longer block.
https://forestier.com/us/custom-saddles/22-aachen

What concerns me is the billeting. It sort of looks like a point billet, but the back billet strap looks stationary; i.e. not able to move forward. My horse has a forward girth groove and big belly, so billet strap positioning is important.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:53 am

Are you all really a fan of foam saddles? I like the look of the Forestier, but most foam saddles I'm familiar with have a pretty short lifespan for comfort....(and are harder to adjust)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 am

It's comfortable and the knee rolls are squishy. All good.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”