T-Bar Stirrup Leathers

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

T-Bar Stirrup Leathers

Postby Hayburner » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:42 pm

I currently use the Frank Baines t-bar leathers, which I love! Tho, they don't match my Wintec Isabell I color, so I ordered the Prestige T-bar leathers

From the website it said riders under 5'5 should order a small which are 27 inches long. I'm 5'2 sothe small should fit me. The Prestige are definanetly shorter than my Baines which are probably 30 or 31 inches. I have many holes left on the Baines and only 2 holes left on the Prestige to make adjustments. The Prestige start their holes further up than the Baines.

I will definitely be dropping my stirrups at least one hole from where I am riding right now. That will only leave me one hole with the Prestige where as my Baines I'd have at least 4 holes to play with.

I read on Trumbull Mountains website that the t-bar should sit below where the leather crosses your shin/ankle. I'm sure my Baines are higher and they are not uncomfortable.

Where should a t-bar sit ? I can return the Prestige and get the 31 length but they state they are for rides over 5'6!

Thanks!

StraightForward

Re: T-Bar Stirrup Leathers

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Unless you think you might need them to adjust much longer than where the currently are, I'd keep them.

The height thing is just a guideline though. I have to adjust my leathers differently on two different saddles I have (same brand). Also, inseam would dictate stirrup length more than overall rider height.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Straightforward - I will put them on my saddle and see if I do actually have the 2 extra holes. I only lined them up with my current stirrups.

Is it correct that the t-bar should be below my ankle/shin?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Hayburner wrote:Thanks Straightforward - I will put them on my saddle and see if I do actually have the 2 extra holes. I only lined them up with my current stirrups.

Is it correct that the t-bar should be below my ankle/shin?

I don't think it matters as long as it's comfortable and there's a sleeve to protect the saddle flap from the T-bar. I've only tried that type of leather once, and I think they hit somewhere mid-shin when I had my feet in the stirrups? It wouldn't be possible to have them below the ankle since your stirrup iron is probably 5" high.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Yes, I was confused by your location suggestion, Hayburner! I've used Bates and Prestige webbers (t-bar leathers). The t-bar portion is usually below my knee.

I'm 5'6" with short legs and ride with (relatively) short stirrups. I order the regular size and they are plenty adjustable .

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:26 am

I'm going to return them for the next size up. Which is the 31, they will be same length as my Baines.

They just don't look right to me.....I'm short, I don't think I have long legs, it maybe I do for my height :lol:

Thanks girls!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”