Girth question, again

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Girth question, again

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 am

Regarding my prior post on the Thinline girth, after responses saying it was fine that it came up the bottom of my saddle , I was going to use it that way.

With the drop in temperature, I put on my back on track pad and now the girth comes up a bit above the pad, but not enough to sit perfectly on the edge. When I called thinline about other sizes and the actual total length of the girth, they felt it could actually pinch the skin being up to or at the pad, grrr.

When
When looking at other girths some have very little material past the buckles, while others have many inches of excess material beyond the buckles.

Is there a purpose for the extra material?

I may end up taking this to a shoemaker to have about 2 inches taken off to that it fits 2 inches below the pad. They are too expensive to buy another one and when I aphad them measure smaller sizes total length they went that much different.

Their 26 inch girth is actually 33 1/2 inches in total length. Thinline suggested I get a 22 inch, but I'm afraid it will be way to short, ugh...

Beorn
Herd Member

Re: Girth question, again

Postby Beorn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:40 pm

It may be that Thinline designed their girths to have excess material around the buckles to distribute pressure at the buckles.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Beorn - Excellent point - maybe that's why my mare seems to like this girth....though, she's not outwardly girthy.

Maybe she just likes the difference in pressure from the Wintec.

I'm still going to have to get some of it cut off - I'll just take as little as possible to get it a bit below her pad.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:54 pm

You never know until you try!

... says the person who has tried pretty much all known varieties of girths on her guy... :lol:

It's surprised me which styles he prefers. But once we found one that he likes, the difference for him was amazing.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 pm

I have several German Westip elastic girths if you are interested. These were great comfort girths for sensitive horses and hard to find now - manufacturer discontinued making them I believe. I know when I had to find a smaller size I ended up purchasing the Passier elastic girth.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks Josette - I have a Passier full elastic girth that I bought for my old horse and he hated it! I think I tried it on him twice and gave up. I put it on my mare once and it was too big for her.

She has a small girth groove - that why I tried the thinline contour girth - even though I think we both like it - it doesn't stay straight at the top. The contour on this girth is minimal but for some reason it tips - if that makes sense. Could it being a bit wide cause it to not sit straight?

I loath girths! I never feel like I have them in the right spot.....I think they are either too far up or too far back....grrrrr

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:14 pm

Hayburner wrote:I loath girths! I never feel like I have them in the right spot.....I think they are either too far up or too far back....grrrrr

How are the billets positioned on your saddle? That's also affected where the girth falls on my guy... if they're pointing straight down vs. tilted forward or back.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Mine are straight down - currently using a Wintec Isabell. I think on my Baines Elegance they also are straight down. In frustration I put my Wintec cushioned girth on her and it was better aligned with the billets and stayed straight. I really want the thinline one to work, I still plan on having the excess cut off.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”