High-neck turnout blankets/sheets?

texsuze
500 post plus club

High-neck turnout blankets/sheets?

Postby texsuze » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Anyone have any "yea" or "nay" about turnout blankets and sheets which extend a bit further up the neck than conventional cuts? I don't mean the separate neck attachments, just the style with higher neck coverage. It always seems the blankets/sheets I buy my oldster sit so far back on his neck. It is a fine line between adequate coverage for him at the front, versus too much binding across the shoulders and chest. He is a big-butt size 78, which may have something to do with it ;)

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: High-neck turnout blankets/sheets?

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:01 pm

I love them for two reasons, they let less rain in over the shoulders and snow of course with horses that have to be out in inclement weather due to inadequate shelter. If I clip for riding, I like to be able to clip under the neck and chest because they are swear areas, and prefer the high necks over the separate neck attachments.
I do put a silky "bra" on for horses inclined to shoulder rub.

I have one mare who gets rubs no matter what blanket size or brand I try and the under cover definitely helps.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:17 pm

I don't like the high neck blankets, but that's because I have a Friesian/Perch and only classic necks fit him. The high-neck blankets ride up too high and don't fit through the shoulders at all.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm using a high neck rhino Wug on my pony this winter so far it isn't impressing me. The high neck part bunches up just in front of the withers and ends up being effectively a standard neck. I don't know if this is something she's doing like rubbing it that way, or if it's the design. The rest of the blanket is good, the neck part just does not stay extended on to her neck.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:58 pm

I just got one of the Schneider's ones, but it hasn't been cold enough to use it yet. However, what I like about it is that the shoulder gussets go up higher than on a regular neck blanket. Hoping this will reduce shoulder rubs. Time will tell if this is true, or if I have issues like some of the other posters. I do prefer how it fits vs. the regular neck turnout sheet I bought her in the same size.
Keep calm and canter on.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:18 am

I love the Rhino ones because the high neck coupled with the Wug-type chest closure creates a very nice fit, with less pulling at the shoulder in my experience (depending on horse's build, I'm sure). I bought the SmartPak brand, high-neck version, for my new mare. Traditional chest closure, so I will be curious to see how the two brands compare this winter.

Dreamer
Greenie

Postby Dreamer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:29 pm

I prefer the "wug" style blankets. I have one horse that gets too much wither pressure with traditional fit blankets.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I've always preferred them as I think they put less pressure on the withers and neck. Yes, the Wug does bunch down, but it still puts less pressure on the neck. I bought one of these for last year, and really like it. http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/centa ... 729#92=107 Its a combination of ideas and workes really well. Held up well. Horse was even less impacted with tight shoulders than with the Wug. I am surprised they didn't take off as its a great design.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:56 pm

digihorse wrote:I've always preferred them as I think they put less pressure on the withers and neck. Yes, the Wug does bunch down, but it still puts less pressure on the neck. I bought one of these for last year, and really like it. http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/centa ... 729#92=107 Its a combination of ideas and workes really well. Held up well. Horse was even less impacted with tight shoulders than with the Wug. I am surprised they didn't take off as its a great design.

Interesting design. What kind of horse do you use it on? I've got a wide, big shouldered Morgan who has been in Hugs, but their waterproofing isn't what it used to be and I'm looking for a different style for her. This might work.

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:33 pm

I love the high necks- I have used the Schneider's house brand ones. They do let in less snow and rain and don't ride back and bind on the withers, even on shark-fin horses. As an aside- anyone have a good place to find pony sized high necks? I have to get a blanket for new pony this winter.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:23 am

I had a high neck on my shark find and it rubbed her mane out in chunks. :(

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 am

Valerie wrote:I love the high necks- I have used the Schneider's house brand ones. They do let in less snow and rain and don't ride back and bind on the withers, even on shark-fin horses. As an aside- anyone have a good place to find pony sized high necks? I have to get a blanket for new pony this winter.

I got my rhino Wug at justforponies.com. they also have another high neck, weatherbeeta landa.

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks! I googled, but didn't find a pony specific site.

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:46 pm

digihorse wrote:I've always preferred them as I think they put less pressure on the withers and neck. Yes, the Wug does bunch down, but it still puts less pressure on the neck. I bought one of these for last year, and really like it. http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/centa ... 729#92=107 Its a combination of ideas and workes really well. Held up well. Horse was even less impacted with tight shoulders than with the Wug. I am surprised they didn't take off as its a great design.

Very innovative design. What are the front closures like? Thanks!

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Inside on the left is a standard blanket hook... err... don't know what those are called.... THere are 2 inside, with a large patch of velcro, and then the 1 blanket strap on the left side as shown in the picture. Its rather like a big double breasted cost for horses.

Dqwannabe
Greenie

Postby Dqwannabe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Love them! I have a little 14.2 Arab and regular blankets used to rub his mane and shoulders. No rubs at all with the high neck ones. They seem to be so much less restrictive of his shoulder/leg movement. I have a turnout blanket from EOUS and sheet from Horze.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:01 pm

I love them, they're all I buy. Mine is a 15 QH. I like keeping the neck warm and dry, too. But they can sometimes be hard to find, so I guess not everyone has the same experience as me.

I usually buy Weatherbeeta or the generic WB through Chick's Saddlery...get a heavyweight waterproof high neck blanket, usually on clearance for less than $100, it works great for me!

The one my horse is using is....uh....I think this is its 4th season? It's a hideous purple plaid, but has been waterproof, doesn't rub, and keeps him warm. I am very happy with it.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:19 am

I really like the Wug style blankets as well, and they've served me well on a number of different horses. My Rambos are on their 8? season and still going strong.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:49 pm

I have several high neck styles from different companies.
I like the idea but I don't like how they fit.
They all rub my horse's manes out just in front of the withers.
It takes all summer long for the mane hair to grow back to a scraggly 1 inch long.
My horses all have thick necks, so maybe that is the cause.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:29 pm

dasher wrote:I have several high neck styles from different companies.
I like the idea but I don't like how they fit.
They all rub my horse's manes out just in front of the withers.
It takes all summer long for the mane hair to grow back to a scraggly 1 inch long.
My horses all have thick necks, so maybe that is the cause.

Mine has a thin neck and did the same thing.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:37 am

I think that is because of the way the weight bears on the elongated neck, rather than the wither. On the one I posted, You don't get that because of the complete articulation at the wither for the shoulder.

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:51 pm

I like them for some horses and not for others. I think they don't fit all horses well but for one of our OTTBs, it works great because he is clipped and it offers a bit more protection. For our Connemara, I like the regular style, as I felt it restricted him. The others have regular blankets or the neck attachment which I also like.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”