Chin Padding

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Chin Padding

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:41 pm

I need help finding something.
Phoenix's bridle has started rubbing/chafing her on her jaw under her noseband. I tried a foam pad someone else had at the barn, but it wouldn't stay put.
I've started putting her noseband a hole tighter for the time being and that seems to help, but I'd like to find some sort of padding with velcro that will stay put.
I'm having trouble finding what I need. I'd like it to be something like this, but that isn't back ordered and I can get in quickly since I'm riding much more often now. http://www.dressageextensions.com/kaval ... d/p/23676/
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Chin Padding

Postby khall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 pm

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 pm

I've also made my own using velcro and shoulder padding I have gotten at Walmart. Synthetic fleece not wool.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 pm

I have that Kavalkade thing. I LOVE it!!!. I took off the chin pad that came with my crank bridle and put on that soft sheepskin thing. I have two of them because when the horse sweats, I need to wash it off (with plain water) and it takes a while to dry.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:39 am

Is it the bridle from your wedding photos? (Love the creek and horse photos, btw!) It looks like you can pull the noseband up a hole or two, so it rests just below the cheekbones. I'd do that until her raw spot goes away.

Padding did not work for my mare. She ended up with a big raw hole in her chin, and I had to remove the drop noseband for several months so it could heal properly.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:03 pm

I do what khall does and sew my own. It makes it more custom for exactly what I want.

Or get something like this and cut it to what you want. https://www.horseloverz.com/horse-equip ... eece-cover https://www.horseloverz.com/horse-equip ... her-crowns

I have issues with my mares with bare spots this time of year. It's something hereditary as mom has it and the the daughters get it in and off. Some of it is where things are rubbed and some not. Padding it doesn't work. I find neem oil seems to help keep it soft and heal it.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:52 pm

I think Cashel makes one, also try Schneiders

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:56 pm

I ended up waiting for the Kalvalkade pads to come into stock, and they've been working wonders. But now there's a new issue I'm just not sure how to solve. She's been in this bit since she was started, and has never had an issue with it before that I've noticed.
https://youtu.be/jwl5q_GgZVI

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Is there space to raise the noseband? Of course you just got the padding, but a drop or cutaway noseband, or one of the anatomic types would avoid that pinching.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:29 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:I ended up waiting for the Kalvalkade pads to come into stock, and they've been working wonders. But now there's a new issue I'm just not sure how to solve. She's been in this bit since she was started, and has never had an issue with it before that I've noticed.
https://youtu.be/jwl5q_GgZVI

Your noseband is too low. Just bring it up an inch or so.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:45 pm

There should be room to raise it, I'll check that tonight and give it a try!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:26 pm

Yes pop it up a hole or just take it off for everyday riding. Stick it back on for a show?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Raised it a hole, and put Vaseline on the sore spot before riding to reduce friction. Seems to have worked, but I'll be monitoring it closely over the next few rides to be sure.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:24 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:Raised it a hole, and put Vaseline on the sore spot before riding to reduce friction. Seems to have worked, but I'll be monitoring it closely over the next few rides to be sure.

Great! I always have to check because I want to put the noseband too low, too.

I have had some issues with rubbing when I was told, after riding with a western curb chain with a leather buckle to the bit so it doesn't run and every single TD said it was OK, suddenly it was not OK. As soon as I put the curb hooks back on, even the rubber ones, with the chain and everything around the bit, one of my horses got a rub. I'm putting vaseline on her lip every single day to keep it soft and it seems to help.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”