Blankets for horses who kill blankets?

Benatus
Greenie

Blankets for horses who kill blankets?

Postby Benatus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 am

Albert sheered off a belly strap on a turnout sheet so I don’t know what to do.
The piece is gone and it’s a weatherbeeta that lasted 3 season in shreds. That’s a long time for him.

Usually I can sew them up, get camping nylon and fix shredded lining (his Schneiders is almost dead, he somehow popped the tongue out of an adjustment buckle and so I sewed it on, one more year sih)

I need a wind/rain protection bc it drains the weight off.

Thanks!!

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Blankets for horses who kill blankets?

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 am

I just buy cheap saxons because my horses enjoy pulling each other around by their rugs. Funnily enough they are the best fitting rugs for my horses, if you get the next size up.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm

I look for at minimum 1500 denier, and if it is open fronted, once i have it sized i remove the buckles in front and sew it shut so you put it on pulling it over the head. My horse is very fine with that. i find that a slightly snug fit lasts better than an baggy fit. I like the shires highlander turnout sheet. it has a shoulder gusset to reduce shoulder rubs.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Spend the money on Rambo blankets.

I have a blanket destroyer - he killed Amigo, high-end line Weatherbeeta, high-end line Schneiders...He's torn 2 of my Rambo blankets but tiny tears and I spend the money to have them professionally repaired. All of them are still waterproof.

I've also got a Smartpak Ultimate with the 10-year guarantee so I can get it replaced if he does kill it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Shires StormCheetas are really heavy duty ballistic nylon and way cheaper than Rambos. They are nicely cut, too.

SmartPak and Schneider's offer 10 year warranties on their higher-quality lines, so those are the others I would look into for blanket destroyers.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:31 pm

A lot of people I know with horses who are tough on blankets have Schneiders and love them. They offer a tougher material.

I have Rambos, but probably wouldn't if I had a blanket destroyer due to cost. You could also look at the SmartPak blanket guarantee if that would cover your typical ribbons...

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”