Best/favorite wicking winter cooler

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Best/favorite wicking winter cooler

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:57 pm

We are starting to get colder nights and a frost or two already. New horse wasn't in work last winter so I didn't bother to spring for a new cooler for her. Of course she is slightly larger than my last horse so what I've got doesn't fit.

So! What is everyone's current favorite coolers? This is for a cold weather climate/nonheated indoor so no scrims please but legit sweat wicking coolers that will also keep ponies warm through a New England winter while they dry. I probably won't be clipping her this winter so neck cover is more optional versus necessary.

Price wise is variable if you rave about!! Show me what you got!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Best/favorite wicking winter cooler

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:48 pm

I like the wool ones for wicking but they do cling to dirt

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:08 pm

I used to use an old army surplus wool blanket but now my absolute favorite is the Rambo Dry Rug (the microfiber one). Don't drop it in the shavings or let your horse roll with it on cuz everything sticks to microfiber, but you will have a dry horse within 20 minutes. I've had mine for several years now and still love it (so does Rudy).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:52 am

Just me personally i despise microfiber, i do not think despise is even a strong enough word for how i feel about it, again to me, ( no criticism of those who like it) it is awful, it picks up every scrap of everything you do not want on it, you cannot get it off. there is no such thing as a barn clean enough to deal with microfiber, and of course on the label of the microfiber sheets is the warning, be careful as a dirty sheet can irritate the horse. that is because everything clings to it and makes it really itchy

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Smart Pak fleece cooler with a neck cover.... thick enough to prevent a chill (I use it for walking to the arena which requires me to go outside and its supppper cold) but isn't so thick the horse doesn't dry.

I like these cheap ones from horseloverz for days I just want a lighter fleece but it WORKS well. Ive had the same one for going on 7 yrs now. I also use it under a sheet when travailing when its cold
https://www.horseloverz.com/horse-blank ... nket-liner

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”