Blankets for the petite horse

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Blankets for the petite horse

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Miss A. is 15.2 and petite. Narrow chest, medium withers. She has 2 medium weight blankets--the Smartpak one with the 10 year guarantee, and one from Schneider's. Yeah, she's a 76, but the drop is waaay too long. She needs a heavy blanket for those single digit days. Should I get a blanket liner and pair that with the medium, or get a heavy (like 360)? I ordered her a Weathabeeter and I swear her knees would buckle from the weight. Any suggestions on what to do? Currently she wears her sheet with a medium on top if it's reallyreally cold.

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: Blankets for the petite horse

Postby Quelah » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:59 pm

I have some blankets with a short drop, when I go back out I'll check the name for you.

I'd rather do one heavy than layered. Double blankets mean double straps, double trim, double hardware. I hate heavy blankets (as in poundage) so I have a thing about that. Suppliers should be able to tell you the weight (poundage) of different blankets, they need to know that for shipping right?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:17 am

I have several Schneiders with a short drop that fit my slim older mare perfectly. I'd measure your Miss A's drop at her withers, and then talk to a CSR at Schneiders.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:50 am

360 is really heavy! My max weight is 300 and that’s used only in the low teens and single digits.

I’d rather just add a liner or a thin over top of a 300 than buy a 360!

Is she out long? Is she clipped? Is your barn super cold?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 am

I use Rambos and both were not super long on my 15.2 mare and gelding they both were a 75 in Rambo.

My blankets are super thin Amigo, thin Rambo, 100 , 200 and 300 Rambos. I do have a liner fromSchneiders that I use occasionally when it’s really cold. My horse is not clipped, out for 5 hours unless it’s bitter cold and the barn is fairly warm.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:22 pm

She’s not clipped but doesn’t grow much of a coat. She’s out 7/8 hours a day unless there’s inclement weather/wind. The barn is no warmer than the outside temp. It’s January 31 so the harshest days are behind us. I’m going to put off blanket purchase but like the idea of blanket liner.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:35 pm

Had the UPS store weigh the blanket before shipping, FIFTEEN pounds!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Paula. I hope your right about the harshest weather is behind us. In PA we have had a mild winter so far and my guess is feb and March will be brutal!

Liners are easy to wash too! They are light weight but insulate well. Just be careful Ms A is checked to make sure the top blanket doesn’t let water penetrate the liner.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm

I would recommend a Thinsulate lined blanket as very warm without the heavy weight. In the past, I body clipped then used a very thick Rambo fleece with the 2 belly strap style as a liner under a winter blanket. Also, I've used a Baker blanket (Original style) underneath with the thick weave fabric. Everything sticks to the Baker blanket so I preferred to use it underneath a water proof sheet or medium blanket.

https://bakerblankets.com/product/Bak_BBorg_Tartan.html

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 am

Little late to this post.....The schneiders evergreen is good, my horse wears it when it's 0F just fine. I save heavy for -30F. It has a shorter drop.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:38 am

I have Schneider's high neck heavy weight blankets and they seem relatively light weight even in an 80. The Blizzard weighs less than the Nordlund due to the lighter denier. Right now is a good time to get deals on blankets if you can find the size you need.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”