favorite dressage daily use tall boots?

lorilu
Herd Member

favorite dressage daily use tall boots?

Postby lorilu » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:36 pm

My beloved daily use Mountain Horse boots are about done. :( MH fits me really well.... but the new tall boots have a front/inside zipper, and my high arch prevents me getting my foot into the boot. Really dont want field boots. Not a fan of Ariat, I find they dont last as well and the calf is either too tight or a bit too loose. Any experiences with Tredstep? What is your favorite for daily use? I walk in them. I bathe and feed in them. I am not known for polishing of them..... LOL Thanks all

goldhorse
Herd Member

Re: favorite dressage daily use tall boots?

Postby goldhorse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 am

I had a pair of Tredstep Donatellos. The first iteration. The leather was super soft-more like a hunter boot than a dressage boot. The zippers gave out after about 2 years and I'm not a hard rider. I would take them off after riding and put on paddock boots for barn chores. Currently, I'm in a pair of Mountain Horse with a back zipper which I like much better than the Tredsteps since the shaft is stiffer. But they are an older model and no longer available and the current model won't fit my x-wide calf. So I'm babying these boots along.

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:24 am

I have no clue, but I'm in the market too. High arch + narrow calves + long tibia.

My favorite 3-season half chap/boot combo is dying. I refuse to give the boot maker any more business, and I have not liked any paddock-type boots I've tried.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:25 am

do you prefer a softer boot or one with a harder outside?

I have a pair of tredstep padillos that have a very stiff outside (my preference) and i REALLY like them. I currently have a pair of cavallos that are softer than I like, but I think would work well for a long, narrow calf.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Can you do the front zip polo style boots?

This summer I bought a pair of Mountain Horse Estelles and love the front zip. They are unfortunately discontinued, though if you scour the web, you might be able to nab a pair in your size. However, before that I was riding in my Petrie Anky boots, and can see that they are WAY more durable than Mt. Horse, which are showing more wear on the calf area already. So when these die, I'll probably order a pair of Petries with the front zip for my every day boot. I've had issues with back zippers working their way down a little bit and scratching my saddle flap, plus they seem way more prone to blowouts, so I try to avoid them now.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm

I hate Tredstep. They have never fit. I am very hard to fit, and Ovation and Mountain Horse have been the only ones I can buy off the size chart that fit. I got about five pairs of Ovation front zip boots on sale before they discontinued them, but I keep those for showing. I have a very high arch, very wide 8/9 feet, super wide calves, and tall.

I mostly do every day work in paddock boots now because they are cheaper to replace as are half chaps. I just got these and like them, but they are definitely warm, so winter boots. https://www.horseloverz.com/english-rid ... tall-boots I got them for $50, which I can't find now. You might be able to find them on sale if you look. They have a rubber sole with insulation in them and a neoprene upper for a snug fit.

I will NEVER buy a back zip boot again. They always break and it's a mess. I wish all of the manufacturers would switch to the front/side zip. The back just wrecks the zipper.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:15 am

StraightForward wrote:Can you do the front zip polo style boots?

This summer I bought a pair of Mountain Horse Estelles and love the front zip. They are unfortunately discontinued, though if you scour the web, you might be able to nab a pair in your size. However, before that I was riding in my Petrie Anky boots, and can see that they are WAY more durable than Mt. Horse, which are showing more wear on the calf area already. So when these die, I'll probably order a pair of Petries with the front zip for my every day boot. I've had issues with back zippers working their way down a little bit and scratching my saddle flap, plus they seem way more prone to blowouts, so I try to avoid them now.

I have not tried the front zips.... I worry that it will bother my ankle where the boot "breaks"? Maybe I'll try some on, I think the local tack store has some on clearance....

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 am

Tanga wrote:I hate Tredstep. They have never fit. I am very hard to fit, and Ovation and Mountain Horse have been the only ones I can buy off the size chart that fit. I got about five pairs of Ovation front zip boots on sale before they discontinued them, but I keep those for showing. I have a very high arch, very wide 8/9 feet, super wide calves, and tall.

I mostly do every day work in paddock boots now because they are cheaper to replace as are half chaps. I just got these and like them, but they are definitely warm, so winter boots. https://www.horseloverz.com/english-rid ... tall-boots I got them for $50, which I can't find now. You might be able to find them on sale if you look. They have a rubber sole with insulation in them and a neoprene upper for a snug fit.

I will NEVER buy a back zip boot again. They always break and it's a mess. I wish all of the manufacturers would switch to the front/side zip. The back just wrecks the zipper.

Well, I have not had trouble with back zippers, and if everyone goes to front side zips I will be left with nothing but customs boots to wear. I am glad paddocks work for you. I do not like them, the tops irritate my leg and I do not want to mess with on-off- whatever half chaps. ANd winter boots are def not "daily use" boots - at least not here in Florida (it was in the 70s today).

But thank you for your opinions!

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 am

blob wrote:do you prefer a softer boot or one with a harder outside?

I have a pair of tredstep padillos that have a very stiff outside (my preference) and i REALLY like them. I currently have a pair of cavallos that are softer than I like, but I think would work well for a long, narrow calf.

Thanks blob, I'll look for them!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm

lorilu wrote:

I'll also add that I find petries have the most uncomfortable footbed of any boot I've ever tried. If you're interested in the softer cavallo boot, let me know and I can look up the model. Otherwise I really do love those tredsteps and get compliments on them all the time.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Well I must be the only Petrie fan. I can take them off the shelf and have them fit pretty well. I do have the softer model with the zipper in the back for every day use. They're 3 years old now and still are in pretty good shape.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 am

blob wrote:
lorilu wrote:

I'll also add that I find petries have the most uncomfortable footbed of any boot I've ever tried. If you're interested in the softer cavallo boot, let me know and I can look up the model. Otherwise I really do love those tredsteps and get compliments on them all the time.

Well I looked for them and apparently they do not exist..... :(
thanks anyway.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:41 pm

exvet wrote:Well I must be the only Petrie fan. I can take them off the shelf and have them fit pretty well. I do have the softer model with the zipper in the back for every day use. They're 3 years old now and still are in pretty good shape.

You're not alone, I really like my Petries, I just needed something softer when I started riding Tesla. I'll go back to the stiff boots when she's more well broke in a year or five. :lol: The MH Estelle is stiffened on the outside, but soft on the calf and through the ankle. I put my boots on right before we go to the arena though, so I don't take much notice of the comfort of the footbed. The MH are certainly a little easier to walk around in though.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

StraightForward wrote:
exvet wrote:Well I must be the only Petrie fan. I can take them off the shelf and have them fit pretty well. I do have the softer model with the zipper in the back for every day use. They're 3 years old now and still are in pretty good shape.

You're not alone, I really like my Petries, I just needed something softer when I started riding Tesla. I'll go back to the stiff boots when she's more well broke in a year or five. :lol: The MH Estelle is stiffened on the outside, but soft on the calf and through the ankle. I put my boots on right before we go to the arena though, so I don't take much notice of the comfort of the footbed. The MH are certainly a little easier to walk around in though.

The model I have is the newer softer model, very flexible through the ankles. I opted for these because as you eluded to, I need something not so stiff due to all my injuries that I can keep on all day if need be and not suffer when taking (or trying to take them off) later in the day. Due to age and injuries my ankles can swell quite a bit even with all the activity I do. I really like them and they haven't broken down/shortened at all.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 am

exvet wrote:
StraightForward wrote:

The model I have is the newer softer model, very flexible through the ankles. I opted for these because as you eluded to, I need something not so stiff due to all my injuries that I can keep on all day if need be and not suffer when taking (or trying to take them off) later in the day. Due to age and injuries my ankles can swell quite a bit even with all the activity I do. I really like them and they haven't broken down/shortened at all.

exvet, do you remember the name of the Petrie model you have? thx

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm

These are the ones I have (though I think I bought them through Dover and got 15% off).

https://www.dressageextensions.com/petr ... X1-381289/

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:24 am

exvet wrote:These are the ones I have (though I think I bought them through Dover and got 15% off).

https://www.dressageextensions.com/petr ... X1-381289/

wow thanks that is inexpensive!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 am

Ugh. I've looked up everything mentioned here. Nothing will fit me. There's nothing cheap and off the rack (so to speak) for narrow + tall + big honkin' feet.

I may have to buy a second pair of custom fit boots — with zippers — for daily wear :shock:

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:27 am

https://www.doversaddlery.com/cavallo-s ... X1-381117/

These are the cavallos I have. A little on the soft side for me, but a nice every day boot. They come in xxtall and xxslim. I have the regular height and they are taller than most so I imagine the tall, xtall, and xxtall go quite high!

Many stores have them in stock, so you might have to look around to see who has them in your size.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:52 pm

I picked up a pair of Petrie's in my weird size from this place in the Netherlands. With shipping, it was still cheaper than any place in the US. You may find that your odd size is on sale.
https://www.ooteman.nl/ladies/riding-bo ... ding-boots

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Loved my Petrie boots! I have a pair that I got fitted for probably 15 years ago, before zippers and they are a field boots. I retired them a year ago! Only because the leather around the ankle started to crack. I did take a few years off from riding so they probably would have worn out sooner. I ended up buying a lightly used pair on eBay. I want to get zips put in them which there's is a girl local to me that is really good at fixing or adding zips.

In the meantime, I bought a pair of Treadstep Meduci's on sale at Dover. Love them! Naturally, this style is now discontinued. They are holding up quite well and are a softer leather, which I like. They mold to my leg very nicely.

I did try the Petrie Sydney from Dressafe Extensions and couldn't get my foot in them due to my instep being a bit high. Even with a zip! I think they also ran a bit small.

I have short legs and a bit of a bulky calf so finding off the rack will not be easy.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 pm

Love my Petries. I have a cow version of the Anky Elegance, more durable than calf leather. They are custom w/ front zip because I have fat calves and a high instep but they were 'only' about $650. I wear them every day and polish them for shows. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever had. I have soft Ariat Volant S's with a back zip and they hurt everywhere. I don't think they're bad boots, just don't fit me as well as my Petries.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:03 am

I have Petries and Kingsleys. Love the Petries, do not love the Kingsleys. The Petrie I have are the cowhide Olympic ones and they fit perfectly.
They are three years old and still look brand new. Not a mark on them even though I have worn them many times.
The Kingsleys have been worn lightly twice and already have signs of wear on the finish. Literally, I have not even cantered in them.
I have the London Kingsleys which are the polo boot model. They are much softer and TBH feel like a fashion boot instead
of a riding boot. The Petries were full custom and cost me less than $600 shipped from Europe. The Kingsleys were over $1200 and so far are not remotely worth the $, Maybe I got a bad batch but at this rate I could not recommend them.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 am

thanks all.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 am

redsoxluvr wrote:The Kingsleys have been worn lightly twice and already have signs of wear on the finish. Literally, I have not even cantered in them.
I have the London Kingsleys which are the polo boot model. They are much softer and TBH feel like a fashion boot instead
of a riding boot.

Wow, that is good to know! I was eyeing some Kingsleys, but I want a mostly everyday boot that can clean up for clinics and wear well, so those are crossed off the list.
Keep calm and canter on.

LindaJ
Herd Member

Postby LindaJ » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:36 pm

I have Tred Step Donatello’s that are like the hunter ones. I LOVE them. Such easy break in. Zipper works well. No leather pressure on the front part of my ankles. Very happy with them

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”