Hoof boots revisited.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Hoof boots revisited.

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:15 pm

New horse has spent the last 9 months rehabbing his feet, which are now looking pretty nice. However, when I tried him, he was still wearing boots, and I can tell that he was a little more comfortable and forward in them than he is barefoot. Which is exactly what the seller told me. Her thought was he could easily go back into shoes now if that was my preference and I had a decent farrier (which I do--he will also do a good barefoot trim.)

So the question is boots or shoes? And what kind of boots?

I know I can't show in boots, but that's a way off at the moment, so I''ll deal with that when we get closer.

He was in Easyboot Epics--but what a PITA to deal with! So, I've been looking at the new Easyboot Sneakers and also the Cavallo boot range. In fact, I think I've looked at every hoof boot known to man and I'm now in overload...

I know some of you use boots--which are your preferences and why?

StraightForward

Re: Hoof boots revisited.

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:15 am

I am happy with Scoot Boots on Annabelle. They are easier to put on than Renegades, and don't collect as much sand. Picking a boot that is a good match measurement wise is the main key though.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:54 am

I use the Mustad Delta hoof boots
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 51bedb0667
My morgan gelding has very round feet. Also one foot is a club foot with some dishing from previous laminitis. I used to use Renegades but they didn't fit well on the club foot so I switched to the Deltas. I only use them if he's ouchy after a trim.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Disclaimer - I don't know a lot of the newer boots, so my generic comments relate to older styles.

The key to success with hoof boots is getting ones with the right proportions for the hoof, and adjustability to suit the hoof over the trim cycle.

A boot that is the correct proportions and design for the hoof and type of riding will be less likely to rub, slip, twist or be thrown off.

No good getting "the best ones on the market" if they are for long and skinny hooves and your horse has wider-than-long hooves. Etc etc. Equally, no good getting a version without a closure mechanism (ie like Easyboot Gloves) when your horse's hooves change a lot between trimmed and due to be trimmed, as they are unlikely to cope with that size change.

If you do a lot of trot/canter, then a boot that sits above the pastern and is relatively rigid (like the Old Macs), as the pastern sinking onto the upper part of the boot can be problematic over time and cause rubs.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:09 am

I agree with what silk said. You need to find the boot that will best fit his feet. There are so many out there now.

I have used Renegade's for years. I ordered a new hoof boot but have yet to receive them (on backorder). They are called Explora Magic hoof boots. They are from Spain but Riders Warehouse is supposed to carry them...provided they get them back in stock.
They look to have lots of adjustment and do not have all the velcro that the Renegades have. Hopefully they will be shipped soon.

Kyra has a tidy (teenie) hoof. She hasn't had shoes since she was 6 since she was such a bitch to shoe. She hated the nailing process and every strike of the hammer seemed to go straight to her brain :roll: . Continued shoeing would have required sedation and I didn't want to go there unless I really needed to. That said, she hasn't ever had a foot problem (other than size) and I haven't been dealing with any pathologies. She has hard feet but thinner soles than ideal so I use the boots solely for protection for our less than ideal and rocky footing.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Another idea... Use what already works on the horse. Or at minimum, fit (even better, trial) other kinds before committing to purchase them.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Kyra's new boots are on the way. Finger's crossed they work. The US rep sent her pics to Spain and I ordered the size they said. IF I had a passport (which, homebody me does not have), they would have sent them direct from Spain set up for her. I thought that was weird that I needed a passport...I have ordered other things overseas and not had to have it??? Alas, I will have to figure it out myself. Christine (rep) I am sure can help me if I can't.

If these don't work, I will probably re-order the Renegades because I know they work. I probably should just stick with that anyway :P .

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:05 am

I ended up with Easyboot Trails. They fit him well, though they look a bit huge before you put them on. He is noticeably more comfortable even just walking around in them.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:42 am

Such a helpful discussion. I'm thinking about this for the future----just in case (Emi is barefoot and comfortable in our normal terrain).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:21 am

I just ordered my first pair of hoof boots. There is a trimmer at the barn that did a fitting for me. She mostly works with Easy boots so that's what I'm starting with.

I can just tell that Lynx is just a little hesitant in harder footing (which unfortunately in the indoor arena, it's pretty packed firm.) His feet are nice and healthy over all right now So I'm going to try and keep him barefoot for as long as I can.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat May 01, 2021 5:33 am

The Explora boots did not work for Kyra. She has kind of 'muley' feet and they just didn't fit right.

So, I guess I am happy to work with velcro and will order her another set of Renegades. She has worn through one of the fronts but with my light riding schedule, I think they have lasted at least 3 years. It seems like I need to use them more every year though. I used to be able to use them mid-May to mid-October. I had to use them well into November last fall and already have used them in April. We had 0 precipitation in April until last weekend and the ground conditions were like July..ugh. She definitely needs some protection in the footing we have to contend with and she is (at least was...she hasn't worn shoes since she was 6) a bit** to shoe and boots have worked well for us. Every place I have ridden for a show has much better footing than we deal with at the home barn and she is fine BF in good footing.

Susan

butterflyrider
Greenie

Postby butterflyrider » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:27 pm

The Cavallo Simple Regular hoof boots have been a god send for me, horse walked not-lame for the first time in years and seemed comfortable within a few steps. Link here! https://corroshop.com/collections/horse ... hoof-boots

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”