Anyone make bridles a la the now closed Jerrie's harness?

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Anyone make bridles a la the now closed Jerrie's harness?

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Looking for a high quality bridle like Jerry's. Not liking the $300 crappy bridles being sold. (I have some nice bridles, but just not feelin' it....)

Does anyone know of US businesses that MAKE bridles like Jerry's? I kick myself regularly for not spending the money before they closed....

I have nice reins and a custom bling browband, so just need the noseband and crownpieces.

Thanks

goldhorse
Herd Member

Re: Anyone make bridles a la the now closed Jerrie's harness?

Postby goldhorse » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:58 am

Not much help to you but I did score a very lightly used Jerry's snaffle bridle 1-2 years ago on ebay. They occasionally show up. I think there's a way to set up an alert on ebay.

Olson tack carries Otto Schumacher bridles that they say can be customized. I've always liked their quality.
https://shop.olsonstack.com/pages/custo ... er-bridles

There still are some custom bridle makers in England. An acquaintance got one from here http://www.uisceleather.com/ I didn't care for the elaborate stitching design but otherwise it looked very nice. Disclaimer: I never got my hands on it to judge the leather quality.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:34 pm

Jerry's Harness used to make the Royal Oak bridles for Dressage Extensions. They still have some of that line in stock https://www.dressageextensions.com/sear ... oyal%20oak .You could call and see if they have anything that you are looking for, but too few to list on their website.

I did buy a Royal Oak double bridle from them many moons ago. It was decent quality. I haven't used it in years; I should see if I can figure out where it is hiding!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Does anyone have a Nunn Finer Bridle? I believe they are made by an Amish business - Bartville Harness in PA.

https://www.nunnfiner.com/Dressage-Bridles-s/157.htm

I ordered reins or something from Bartville probably ten years ago that were nice quality. Their Facebook page has photos of their catalog. They don't do tech, so I called them on the phone.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Canyon wrote:Does anyone have a Nunn Finer Bridle? I believe they are made by an Amish business - Bartville Harness in PA.

https://www.nunnfiner.com/Dressage-Bridles-s/157.htm

I ordered reins or something from Bartville probably ten years ago that were nice quality. Their Facebook page has photos of their catalog. They don't do tech, so I called them on the phone.

Years ago, probably 10+, I ordered a Nunn Finer breastplate from BoB. It was absolute crap. Like, had plastic grommets absolute crap. Hopefully they've improved, but have a good look over something you get from them before you ride with it. BoB was great about the return to their credit.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:31 am

I recently bought a Kingsley bridle. Probably the nicest one I have ever had. Leather is soft but not limp, and the finish is not dulling over time. (I use it ~4/days a week.... maybe for 6 months.... )

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:45 am

goldhorse wrote:Olson tack carries Otto Schumacher bridles that they say can be customized. I've always liked their quality.
https://shop.olsonstack.com/pages/custo ... er-bridles

I scored a used rolled Schumacher bridle on eBay that was custom fitted to a horse that was apparently almost exactly Annabelle's size. I have heard that they will sell separate pieces if you change horses and need something different, so you might be able to just buy the parts you need.

Another one to consider might be Albion. I haven't had my hands on one of their bridles, but based on their girths and saddles, suspect the upper end bridles would be nice. David Dyer in the UK will piece them together I think.

Yeah, I had a Jerry's for Obie and still kick myself for selling it since it was on the small side for Mister in-between-full-and-oversize.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Bridle2fit are equal in quality to Jerry's and you can buy your bridle in components to custom fit your bridle. Mine was less than $300 out the door and it's just gorgeous.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:34 pm

I have 2 old Stubben bridles that are still soft as butter.

I bought a new bridle from, I think, British Bridles on EBay and it is really nice, tho again it was another Stubben but I think it was made in Scotland. I like it as it is a bit dainty for my mare.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 pm

I would concur with redsoxluvr that the Bridle2fit leatherwork is very similar quality and craftsmanship to Jerry's work. I directly compared to my lightly used double bridle from Jerry and the Jerry snaffle reins do not look out of place on it at all. Very nice finish and still some heft to the leather itself. I purchased a snaffle from them for Kora as also kicking myself for not buying a snaffle from Jerry before he retired.

I've yet to torture myself to see if the double will fit Kora in the future. I'm sure I'm not the only one hoarding Jerry's work.

LindaJ
Herd Member

Postby LindaJ » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:47 pm

I have a double bridle and reins made by Pariani. The leather is amazingly soft and the quality is excellent!

Oops….just remembered you asked for US made lol! Well….if you decide for one not in that category, check Pariani out ;-)

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”