Saddle fitting the young horse

Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Saddle fitting the young horse

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 pm

So I finally had a saddle fitter out to fit Lynx. I had scheduled it all the way in April and it got rescheduled multiple times. Very frustrating but I'm glad she finally came out.

It was a new to me fitter. She did a wither tracing and said he was average for a QH his age. Bigger shoulder, slightly downhill (growing) and slightly more developed on one side than the other.

As I suspected, my saddles don't fit. Technically my Dressage saddle almost worked, but is a bit too long and the balance is a little funky. I haven't been very happy riding in it so I'm going to just move it along. My jumping saddle really doesn't fit.

The good news: barn owners older Prestige fit him very well. She said I can use it on him as long as they aren't using it during a lesson.

The bad news: it's an 18 inch. I usually use 17 inch saddles, maybe 17.5 if it's a deep seat. I haven't ridden in it yet but the saddle fitter said it will most definitely be too big for me long term. And he's going to training in June and I obviously can't take that saddle.

The fitter had an ideal Susanna I think it was. She said that also fit really well although to me it looked very different. It's cut back at the pommel. She said it's made to fit downhill horses... I'm not totally sure. I definitely would need to try it out. It's also $2,500 brand new. Which really isn't that bad but seeing that he's only turning four I was hoping to try and keep the saddle under 1500. I just hate invest and something and not be able to resell later if he quickly grows out of it.

The saddle fitter said she thought it would work for him up until third level work. I found that statement pretty insane... I don't think those saddles are really that adjustable are they? And even then can anybody promise such a thing? I just can't imagine the difference in him from now being a coming 4-year-old to later on as at third level horse.

So the plan for now is to ride in the prestige for a few weeks. If I like it maybe see if I can find one used in a smaller size. If I can't do that then I think I'm going to have a different saddle fitter look at him when he goes into training. She has a much bigger inventory and knowledge of different brands. I have a much easier chance finding something used through her.

And if that all strikes out then I guess I can try out the ideal Susanna and see what I think.

StraightForward

Re: Saddle fitting the young horse

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 pm

I wonder if you could get him into a Kent & Masters or Thorowgood? The K&M has exchangeable gullets and wool flocking so it can be adjusted. They are like $1600 new, and you could probably snag a nice used one for <$1K and resell when needed. Annabelle was in a MW tree as a 4 year old, grew into my wide hoop tree Black Country fall of her 5 year old year, and this winter outgrew that and needed an XW, so I think it's wise not to invest too much money at this point when they are growing so much.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 11, 2021 1:18 am

Maybe try looking for a 2nd hand prestige if it works ?
Agree with trying a K&M or Thorowgood too.
They do change shape on you as they get older.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:03 pm

We tried one Thorowgood on him but it was too wide- but I know there are different gullets and tree shapes we could try. I definitely think they can change so much that I don't want to invest too much in the first saddle for him.

A used Prestige would be nice. :D

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm

for a young horse that has not had much time under saddle and therefore will change some, I would also be hesitant to spend too much on a saddle! A lot of horses tend to pop a wither in their 5th or 6th year, which can change the shape.

Another adjustable and affordable option that I find quite comfortable and tends to put riders in a good position is a wintec isabel.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Blob, yeah he definitely seems like he is yet to pop a wither So I'm sure he's going to change pretty dramatically. Maybe when he's six or seven we can splurge.

I actually had a wintec Isabel years ago. I actually liked it a lot and it put me in a better position than most. I definitely would consider one again if it fit. Although I know most fitters around here favor the Thorowgoods over wintecs. And I do agree with the quality being better for Thorowgoods But so far I've preferred riding in the wintecs myself.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 13, 2021 1:15 pm

I purchased and had customized a new Prestige for Junior. I specifically waited until he was 7 before taking that type of plunge. Prior to that time I used my Albion SLK which was fitted to his father and worked well except it was just a little too long. Let me tell you it wasn't until we were seriously working at second level that the length definitely made an issue. Young horses will change and Junior is nothing like the pony of his younger days. I will say that I love the Prestige; but, then I love almost any saddle fitted to me and the horse. I also will admit that I like the Ideal and it's a popular 'economy' saddle in the UK and Wales for welsh cobs. I kind of 'get' what the fitter means about how long the saddle should suit given my experience over the years with multiple welsh cobs that I started and took up the levels. During my most recent saddle search I ran across a number of used Prestige dressage saddles for a good price. I also ran across a few used Ideal saddles as well, many were in Texas because there's a Welsh breeder there who also was a stateside rep for them. I also during my search picked up a used Roosli Pilatus which I also like and it fits Brandon who sounds like he's built similar to your QH. The one I got is old but still in good usable shape and I got it for a song. Obviously this was my choice for a 3 year old who in 2 years will likely no longer resemble the cheeky chap he is right now and will hopefully 'earn' the right for his own personally fitted saddle (and hopefully I'll have the cash for it too).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Exvet, the one dressage trainer who I was taking some lessons with on her school horse, said she didn't like Prestige. Not sure why, I've always loved the ones I've ridden in.

And I will keep in mind the idea that it being too long won't be too much of problem until later on. Because technically the fitter said that my saddle did sort of fit. I still want something different as it really puts me in a funky position. But I guess we could use it in a pinch.

He's going to training in June. I contacted a different fitter with a large selection of used saddles. She can't come until July 1st. So hmm. Hopefully one the trainer's saddles will work in between.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 14, 2021 5:49 pm

Sent you a PM...

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:50 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Sent you a PM...

I have not received a pm yet if it was for me.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Yes, I just sent again... finger trouble (ha ha...)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:20 pm

Shopping for a used Prestige in his size and yours seems obvious and reasonable for a young horse. Will your fitter re-flock if needed?

I think it's pretty pointless to get a very expensive new saddle on young horses, unless you like supporting saddle businesses!

FYI, Albion SLKs to my memory fit many horses and people quite well. Also fairly easy to find used. A good fitter will know the type of saddle you need at this point! There are also remote fitters who are surprisingly good with assessment and recommendations. I know of one a friend used and was impressed...will find if you are interested.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Piedmontfields, thanks! That's along my thinking as well. It's a good time to look for used saddle not try to buy something that's expensive and new!

We have an appointment July 1st with another saddle fitter that I've used before. She has a bigger range of used saddles. If for some reason that does not work out I might reach out to you for the virtual fitters name!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:49 am

Ideal makes great saddles, and they build saddles for a ton of other companies. If you know what model
and size Suzannah you need, you can easily get one off eBay UK or one of the UK saddlers for $500-$600.
David Dyer Saddlery always has a good selection, as does eBay.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:35 am

redsoxluvr wrote:Ideal makes great saddles, and they build saddles for a ton of other companies. If you know what model
and size Suzannah you need, you can easily get one off eBay UK or one of the UK saddlers for $500-$600.
David Dyer Saddlery always has a good selection, as does eBay.

Thank you!!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”