good long lines?

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

good long lines?

Postby blob » Mon May 17, 2021 12:20 pm

I've now bought and returned three sets of long lines and would love suggestions for a good pair.

one pair wasn't long enough to do any lunging work with the lines they were probably only 10ft long. Another pair was too thick near the clips to run smoothly through surcingle roles. And the third pair didn't have loops at the end, which sounds silly but it made hanging them a pain--they kept falling down--and it was hard for me to keep them organized in my hands without something to 'hold' at the end.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: good long lines?

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 17, 2021 2:33 pm

You might check with Rose Lodge Equine on Etsy. They do custom work with yacht rope. They made my long lines with 3/8" rope and slobber snaps instead of straps. The length I have (26') is a little heavy, and I am thinking of ordering some shorter ones for doing more close-in work. I really prefer the buckle on slobber straps over rings, whether attaching to the bit or lunging caveson rings. Just less metal clanging around and gives a feel more like a rein on the bit. I can also coil them up and buckle the slobber strap over the coil to keep them organized.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue May 18, 2021 4:17 pm

A long while back my trainer special ordered a set for each of us. Ours are nylon, about 1 1/2" wide and quite slinky. My trainer was a master at long lining--ballet in motion! Me, I could never quite get totally comfortable with handling that much line ;)

Can't remember the company who made ours but this might be the website: https://www.strapworks.com. With a custom order you can decide exact length, width, weight of strapping, attachments, color, etc.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu May 20, 2021 11:22 pm

I have long lines similar / identical to these. I bought them from a friend who was getting out of horses, so not sure of their exact source.

Dover long lines

First 10 feet of each line are rolled and stitched and easy to get through surcingle rings. Next 20 feet are cotton webbing which I prefer to nylon webbing. They did not come with hand loops, but I doubled the ends over and stitched below the black plastic buckles to create loops. I know very little about long lining, but I find them easy to use.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”