What is this training device?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

What is this training device?

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 am

A barn mate is using this but doesn’t know what it is called. It’s thin bungee material that attaches on the girth, goes over the poll, and attaches on the other side at the girth. She was told it will help train her horse to keep his head down. It is not a chambon. She warms him up, then puts it on, rides a bit, then takes it off.

I internally rolled my eyes when she told me about it, but I have learned to keep my comments to myself. She got this device from a “trainer.” Now I can roll my eyes. :roll:

heddylamar

Re: What is this training device?

Postby heddylamar » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:22 am

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:23 am

It's a neck stretcher. Eh. I don't think it hurts. It doesn't pull anything, but puts pressure on the poll if they get too high.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:26 am

Yep, that’s it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 pm

it's a neck stretcher. I know of people who very successfully rehabbed horses with Kissing spines using it.

I also know some barns who put it on every horse, in other words overuse it

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Interesting that this should come up because I have just started using one on my colt. He is very smart and has little interest in working. About 1/2 hour into any ride he starts trying to go back to the barn, and if being really a jerk, threatens to rear by hopping up in front. I have had him checked for physical issues and he was cleared. Using a tie-down was helpful and I decided to try the neck-stretched idea. ( He is Dutch/Dutch Harness Horse so has a long elegant neck which he loves to use against me). So far the neck stretcher is doing what I hoped in that it discourages him from rearing when he doesn't get his way. I generally run him in an arena for 10-15 minutes before riding him as other wise he can be quite unmanageable....worked down he is much more likely to be compliant. He is very talented and I do hope I can bring him around to the idea that he has to work for a living, but am quite appalled at all the "gadgets" I have tried on him. Mostly for my own safety. I have never had the need for such things ( maybe side-reins while lunging) in the several other horses I have trained for dressage, but he is extremely smart and stubborn. Plus I spent too much money on him to give up!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Yeah, I'm so safety minded, I would never have any straps or things on a riding horse like that. I have visions of disaster if the horse trips, gets a leg over, etc.
Also that's a hell of a lot of poll pressure. Every massage client I work on has some poll tension "just because" so I would never add this strap like that.
I don't longe in side reins anymore, just my opinion.
JMHO. No thanks.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”