Decent cob sized drop?

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Decent cob sized drop?

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun May 22, 2022 1:02 am

I haven’t started looking and I am lazy. Does anyone know of a nice drop that adjusts on both sides of the nose and is for a smaller horse or cob?
I have an adjustable one that has adjustment on one side. It is on the last hole and still is a bit wide across her nose. I could poke another hole but she already has 6 inches of leather hanging off the one side now. I have to tuck it under the bit arm. Most of the leather workers I know have sold the business or retired or they could take care of the tail. She doesn’t tolerate a regular cavesson pushing her flabby inner cheeks into her teeth. The bit is a Baucher and I don’t think it will work with my PS of Sweden bridle. I was watching a program about Charlotte Dujardin and they had a nice basic anatomical cavesson on Blueberry. I guess I could email them? Why not.

TIA
Susan

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Decent cob sized drop?

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 22, 2022 4:02 am

She might have been using a Fairfax. That's the only drop type I have seen with adjustments on both sides. You might be able to get just the noseband, but it will need a monocrown. I had one for Rosette and it was really fiddly to put on and adjust.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun May 22, 2022 5:21 am

Thanks…yes, the Fairfax is what Blueberry was wearing. I can try the Fager bit on the PS of Sweden bridle but I am not sure the Baucher will work with it. I won’t know until I try I guess.
I also found a reasonably priced Kavalcade bridle with a drop that adjusts on both sides. Of course it is out of stock.

She is working pretty good with the Fager and having the drop helps when I pick up the reins. The drop isn’t very tight but it helps convince her that she needn’t gag on the bit (and cross her jaw) every time I pick up the reins. Other than picking up the reins, she is much quieter in the mouth with this bit. She is a little heavier than I like but part of that is the lack of fitness to achieve true self carriage. I think we will get there.

Thanks for the help. I don’t have the $$ right now for a Fairfax.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 22, 2022 3:22 pm

What about this? https://www.lumiereequestrian.com/colle ... idle-brown

I have Annabelle in the Lumiere Mila which is similar, but it looks like this one would avoid Kyra's cheek flesh even better.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun May 22, 2022 3:46 pm

That is a nice bridle but back to whether a bit that is the Baucher configuration will work on it. I can test that with the PS of Sweden.
More choices for retail therapy ;) .

Is Annabelle’s bridle cob size or horse size?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 22, 2022 3:57 pm

OK, I've spent an embarrassing amount of time bridle shopping over the past few years. None of these are exactly drops, but might achieve the same objective. I do have a PS Sweden High Jump in a full size that you might be able to adjust down enough to see how it works if you want to borrow it before buying (similar design to the Collegiate below, but the curved part has metal inside the leather).

This is like the Montar bridle I was using on Tesla until recently: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/horze ... idle-24324
Another possibility: hhttps://www.equinavia.com/horze-stewar ... -p-10082/p
Or: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/coll ... S8EALw_wcB
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Annabelle's Lumiere is a cob, though I did just replace the crown with a full size crown. Lumiere will switch parts out on request, though I've read on CotH that they aren't always super accurate with their shipping. They do have a warehouse in SLC now though, so returns are easier.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Baucher since the cheek pieces are separate from the noseband pieces.

An actual drop: https://www.equinavia.com/horze-bergen- ... -p-10109/p
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 22, 2022 4:09 pm

Baucher with the Lumiere Mila:
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon May 23, 2022 1:47 am

Yes, I need to get the PS of Sweden and try the bit on it. That would be the most economical. I wish I could have more leisure time at the barn but I have to be pretty economic in my barn time. I can’t leave Mom alone too long. I will bring them home next trip so I can fiddle around with it here. Today she was kind of busy in the mouth but she had a lot of spit and drool…Which I don’t it think she is fond of. Although with the Fager, she doesn’t dive for her leg to rub her mouth when we are done so that is good. When she is gone (hopefully no time soon), what will I obsess over?

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed May 25, 2022 6:06 pm

Silly me. I have no idea why I thought the Baucher bit wouldn't work with the PS of Sweden. I put it on that bridle and she worked really well in it. She was very even in the contact/connection. I don't know if it was the day or she actually is happier in this setup. The only downside, she is a lot of foaming and she kept trying to slurp it up but despite the slobber/foam, she didn't dive down to rub her face on her leg. So, I think she likes the titanium. It is nice and light.

So I got the cheap fix...that was there all along.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”