Close Call

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Close Call

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:56 pm

I had my second ride on Phoenix since bringing her back last week. That's only being lunged 4 times, and ridden one of those at a walk (with 1-2 laps of trot) on Sunday. She's got a lot of "go" so this time I went ahead and let her trot and canter. She's really goofy, as many 4 yo are, and decided that the parked tractor outside one of the doors was of grave concern while in a not so controlled canter :lol: Fast forward through some aerobatics, loss of a stirrup, and a few kicks of the heels and I by some miracle remained seated (the first couple jumps were a cloooose call). We continued on with our ride, but avoided that door except at the walk the rest of the ride. I'm honestly impressed with how she's handled coming back to work, I didn't expect to be on her so soon but she told me she was ready. A friend was there "just in case" and took a little short video for me (too bad she didn't catch the spook). She looks really good, better than she feels, probably because I'm so out of shape too :lol:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Close Call

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Good job sticking the aerobatics! Youngsters are so weird. What was the tractor going to do to her?!

But, then, I avoided my trainer's indoor — random windows, mirrors, etc — for fear of a similar ride! I know she thought I was nuts when I chose to ride outside in 95+ weather last week at our lesson rather than under the fans :lol:

We'll conquer the indoor and all it's shining objects on a day when it's unavoidable!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 pm

heddylamar wrote:Good job sticking the aerobatics! Youngsters are so weird. What was the tractor going to do to her?!

But, then, I avoided my trainer's indoor — random windows, mirrors, etc — for fear of a similar ride! I know she thought I was nuts when I chose to ride outside in 95+ weather last week at our lesson rather than under the fans :lol:

We'll conquer the indoor and all it's shining objects on a day when it's unavoidable!

She's really a character. She will randomly decide to look at things funny but at the same time you can tell she's not ACTUALLY scared. I told her after we had walked past it about 4 times post spook that if it hadn't bitten her or jumped at her yet, it probably wouldn't. :lol:
I'm with you on that, avoid until you cant! For me our indoor is safer than trying to tackle outdoor riding, although I want to work us in that direction over the next few months. I'm going back for a ride again tonight and I'm really hoping the tractor will have been moved, I'm not sure anyone will be around to save me tonight if I actually did end up coming off LOL.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Goofy girls! LOL. Last week I was hand grazing Ariel and she decided the stack of THREE pallets was so scary that she needed to barge into me. Yet she was fine riding in the indoor with temporary stalls and show activity....

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Glad you stuck with her. I recommend silicone full seat breeches at that age. Of course they wait until you least expect it.

Our BO rides a TB/Friesian cross and says that sometimes the TB side gets excited but then the friesian side decides it's too much work to maintain that level of energy expenditure.

I did catch it on film when Annabelle took exception to some birds this spring. Fun to watch frame by frame.
https://youtu.be/V0xSfkFgZtk
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Well stuck! Yes, young horse spooks.. always entertaining. :shock: :D

StraightForward wrote:Our BO rides a TB/Friesian cross and says that sometimes the TB side gets excited but then the friesian side decides it's too much work to maintain that level of energy expenditure.
https://youtu.be/V0xSfkFgZtk

Yep, that's pretty much my guy. Although once he thought a mini pony prancing in a pink rug was the worst thing ever and galloped flat chat up the road. I was amazed that he could gallop but it only lasted 100m or so.

Birds can be scary :lol: :lol: A magpie did this: https://youtu.be/hSTA8fWMCZQ
Not quite as fancy moves as Annabelle though! Gotta love the soloshot for capturing everything.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Flight wrote:Birds can be scary :lol: :lol: A magpie did this: https://youtu.be/hSTA8fWMCZQ
Not quite as fancy moves as Annabelle though! Gotta love the soloshot for capturing everything.

ZOOM! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm going to be running by our local tack shop this weekend, I'll have to look into those silicone breeches! Anything to help my chances of staying on should it happen again! :lol:
I rode last night and had a much better ride. I'm realizing as soon as we get to doors she's not paying *any* attention to me and is looking out to see the sights. I finally started giving her a light whack with the whip to remind her I'm up there and to pay attention, and that helped a LOT. What SF said about her BO's horse sounds a lot like her! She gets worried over silly things but you can also tell she's not serious about it, or really actually scared most of the time and its always short lived.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”