Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:12 am

Congrats on everyone's progress and what nice pictures. Blob my hat is off to you. It takes a lot deep down to know that there will be challenges after the warm up day and still go, show and most importantly have some success. It's disgustingly hot here. I had to give my horses two weeks off of work due to travel and helping my mother move and close her house. I rode yesterday despite the heat warnings. We were able to put in 20 minutes of quality work on each of mine; but, that was it. I rode again this morning, not as bad as yesterday but still hot even at 6:30 am. Junior continues to impress me with his counter canter being relatively smooth and easy for him as well as the walk-canter, canter-walk transitions. I'm not going to throw anything new at him in this extreme heat. That wouldn't be fair. I'm going to try to get in some more ride time this and next week just to maintain where we're at and then give the herd another week off while I'm traveling again...........then the real training begins. I've been working half-steps in hand. We'll see if I can start to get something under saddle when we're back at it. Stay cool everyone.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 am

I had a really horsey 4 days off. Clinic with both horses, which was really good. Busy though, so it's hard to digest it all and with 3 to 4 months between clinics I always forget stuff. Others did some video for me, which is soooo helpful. The clinic reinforced stuff that I feel I should have squared away by now though.
Norsey - she took me through step by step how to set up for piaffe steps. He had a few good attempts and is so close to getting it right, but she said don't be tempted to push on through, just keep setting it up and waiting for him to get there. Same with those flying changes leaps. She just had us set up and then ask for a change and he did it without the leap! So, not pulling or pushing or holding, just set it up and let it happen. Sounds so easy when you know what you're doing???
Ding was a lot about self carriage and for me to stop 'helping' so much - not holding an aid on, sitting still and holding my own body and position. We worked pirouettes, some piaffe to extended trot.
Then with Ding we had a working equitation day, and did some demo's. Ding was very good, he's a sweet horse.

Cool pic of Norsey with the light/dust. Here at the very start of setting up for some piaffe steps

Norseyclinic4s.jpg
Norseyclinic4s.jpg (86.02 KiB) Viewed 25386 times

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Flight - Such a lovely picture! He looks ready for pretty much anything.

One of my biggest struggles with Odin has been in the canter work. We've been going in a French link KK snaffle for years, and after a suggestion from a friend and some hugely frustrating rides I tried a Baucher. And the last two rides were amazing. He backs off it a lot, so I can actually sit quietly each canter stride instead of each stride feeling like I'm doing a massive sit-up. So I'm really hoping it's not a fluke and we can carry this through and do some better and more consistent work.

I've got a schooling show this coming Sunday. My neck is acting up, so if I have to rise most of the trot work then so be it (Elementary/2nd level). I actually just want an outing to ride the counter canter serpentine and the shoulder-in work again, because it's been going so well at home.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 pm

I didn't get any proper video or photos from the show, since I was at the show alone. But a group stabled next to me got some shots and texted them over this morning. They are not great quality, but wanted to share anyway.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190728-162426.jpg
Screenshot_20190728-162426.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 25373 times
Resized_20190728_080302.jpg
Resized_20190728_080302.jpg (230.95 KiB) Viewed 25373 times
Resized_20190728_075508.jpg
Resized_20190728_075508.jpg (17.2 KiB) Viewed 25373 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:03 pm

blob - he is lovely! Those are very nice photos even if they are a little blurry! I hope you are pleased with those because I certainly would be.

StraightForward - Nice to see some video of you and Kyra! You guys look good together, She looks very fun to ride and I envy what appears to be a very large arena AND some shade as well. :)

Flight - Someone else said it, but Norsey really does look ready for anything there. He looks totally on the aids and ready to do whatever you ask.

Isn't it amazing how much better they go sometimes if you just set them up and then get out of their way. I had a few moments like that in my lesson yesterday with the half passes in particular. :) It was my 4th lesson with the new trainer and it's working really well overall. I am very pleased with the current arrangement.

Some pics from yesterday:
Attachments
July28_18.jpg
July28_18.jpg (130.79 KiB) Viewed 25368 times
July28_8.jpg
July28_8.jpg (114.39 KiB) Viewed 25368 times
July28_17.jpg
July28_17.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 25368 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Wow, so many great photos and update. Agreed on the good job of hanging in and settling in at your show, Blob (and nice photo evidence!). Rosie, I swear Bliss looks *taller* in these photos! His carriage is really changing. Flight, your clinic experience sounds fantastic and love the Norsey at the ready photo.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:42 pm

This weekend and our next clinic is rapidly approaching. I'm scheduled for a lesson this Wednesday after some barn drama caused a two week break in lessons :roll:. I'll be happy to get some more help before the clinic, as I really want her to see progress.
This video is from our ride yesterday morning. I'm hesitant to share, because I see a lot of my own mistakes. My inner monologue watching this is something like "Look up, WTH is going on with your wrists!? Keep your hands down! GET YOUR WEIGHT DOWN!! Oh for F*** sake" :lol: But I also see a lot of improvement on both our parts, and a few really great moments. Trainer keeps telling me not to be so hard on myself and that I'm doing a good job, but it's hard not to be. https://youtu.be/jzgf9UcIQBg
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Nice seeing and reading about everyone's progress!

Sorry your saddle is not working for you and MM as you'd hoped blob, but those pics of RP look very nice! Sounds like even though your first day wasn't as successful you had a good show.

Rosie it seems like you've found a really good arrangement, Bliss is looking better and better.

Seems like it wasn't too long ago Phoenix was just being started, she's looking nice and also quite grown up now. I think it's in a lot of dressage riders' nature to be hard on ourselves which in some ways is good because it makes us notice and correct our flaws but in some ways is bad because we can sometimes get down on ourselves instead.

I'm still on the sidelines hoping my hip will get back to where I can ride. It's been an entire month now which is frustrating but I think my trying to ride a few times while it was still feeling iffy has caused this whole process to go slower than it would have if I had just stayed out of the saddle so I'm going to try really hard to give myself the time I need before trying again. This has been more difficult here because I can't just turn her out to pasture, she's either in her stall/run or I have to do something to get her out so I'm trying to make sure she gets to do something every day even if it's just some hand walking or an hour in a small turnout but it's unfortunately still not as good as getting out and stretching her legs in the big arena.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:24 am

Great pictures and vids everyone! A lot of progress and success going on this summer. Phoenix, I'm with your trainer. Your horse looks like she's really developing correctly--quite the little hunk, isn't she?!

Rosie, wow, Bliss looks really great--another one who is packing on the muscle in all the right places.

Blob, that sounds like a pretty successful outing on the whole! Pink pony looks like he is very focused on you in these pictures.

And Flight, he's such a handsome horse and you make such a good pair. I do admire how much you achieve with your horses.

Exvet, it's been stinking hot here, so I dread to think what it's like down your way. We rode outside yesterday as we needed to ride in the big arena to fact check our counter canter, and Mother Nature had provided a good watering overnight (oh, the bugs...) I thought my head was going to explode. I wish I could organize my schedule to allow me to ride in the mornings, but it just doesn't seem to work out.

I'm having a ball with my lovely boy. He's feeling so much better this week even than last week--I'm so lucky to have what I have at the moment--good horse, nice barn, great training, time to ride. I am blessed indeed.

We are going to toddle off to a show the weekend after next, and the weekend after that I've got Mette coming in. I'm excited about that--I have a really good group of more upper level riders and horses for her, which I'm sure she will enjoy, and from whom I can learn a lot, and we are going to be at a very nice barn, so it should be a fun weekend--and I'm looking forward to showing her how we are progressing, even if we aren't as exalted as some of the others!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Wow Mountaineer I'm jealous - a show, a clinic and good company. Have fun and good luck at the show.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:00 pm

I'm in County Fair mode so no riding for me. Shoer did finally come out and put new shoes on the boys so at least no one is sore footed at the moment. I'm planning on taking Tio in a schooling show in a couple of weeks...fingers crossed I get there. :P

I put on the Fair Dog Show every year with Showmanship, Obedience and Agility. Pretty much went off without a hitch except for the downpour just as we all moved to the agility course. Judge walked the kids through the course in the rain, no one had coats but someone gave the judge an umbrella. A great time with lots of laughter was had by all in spite of the damp. It's been so hot, it felt good to have a bit of a cool down. I'm catching up on this board while I wait to do surgery, then it's back to the fair so I can sell hamburgers for 6 hours. :D

Great vids and pics everyone!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 am

Well I found my missing right seatbone. It was there all along :roll: Turns out, it was breeches related. I've been trying various summer weight breeches and settled on a Dover brand with one of those silicone seats. Yes, they are sticky. Too sticky. I thought that my seatbones were moving inside of the breeches but horsie was telling me no in no uncertain terms. Went back to my old breeches with a clarino seat and voila, all was good in the world.
Next para show isn't until October. Para rider has made some significant changes to her riding and needs to let them coalesce before she goes in front of a judge again.
Pour in pads have made horsie comfortable again. Life is good.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:12 am

SueB, you are a week ahead of us on County Fair... got to get my art entries I next week!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:42 am

Blob, your pony is looking really fabulous! I hope you've gone back and compared to his older photos. Very elegant, and you make a good pair.

Rosie, Bliss is looking great too. His frame is really getting rounder! Great that you've found a good situation with an instructor.

I had a nice ride on Kyra tonight after two morning so failing to get my arse out of bed early enough to ride before work. We've been lucky with a relatively temperate summer so far, so once the sun gets low in the sky, it's pretty pleasant out. After watching my last video and cursing my left shoulder, I focused on keeping my upper arm more with my body and not letting Kyra talk me into giving away my left shoulder. Hopefully I'm keeping it more even as well. The result was more honest bend and better connection in the SI, straighter transitions and canter, and the best trot HP we've had to date.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:18 pm

So good to hear that so many are making moves despite the heat and getting out to clinics and shows.

Rosie, Bliss is so lovely. I'm always awed by what an elegant pair you two make anytime you post pictures!

In a true example of horse's are unpredictable and things can change at any moment: RP had a freak accident in pasture yesterday. Was running around like a fool and slipped and went down. His legs are clean (no heat or swelling) but he can barely walk. Yesterday we couldn't even tell what leg he was favoring, seemed like maybe he was just body sore all over. But today it's clear it's the left hind that he cannot bring under. and it's looking like something high up--pelvis or hip. Hoping it's not a pelvis fracture or a ligament and just something in muscle. The vet will be out either this afternoon or tomorrow morning and we'll know more then. Luckily I saw it happen so there's no confusion as to the origin. I think if i had seen him yesterday without seeing the fall, i would have thought it was something systemic rather than injury given that there was no clear place he seemed off, he just seemed unable to walk.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Oh jeeze. Jingling that it's nothing major and he's good to go again soon!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Oh, darn it, Blob! Horses and their constant pull towards extinction...

Last edited by Moutaineer on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:59 pm

Oh geez, major jingles Blob!

I'm still around. I have had a bit of a break due to a car accident but hopefully shouldn't be too long term.
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:03 pm

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 pm

Oh Rye, hope you are okay. Gosh, Norsey is a handsome dude. And Bliss is looking really good. Nice work for your guy too blob. Some photos are better than none, that's for sure.

We are back on track, though a few steps behind. Then again, I think the tension he was starting to show is gone so maybe this has been a good thing for both of us. I need to be careful about that. His back is all better after a break and as of today I have my happy, floaty, forward guy back. Great lesson with my instructor and we both did well. Funny how a month can really take a toll on you. He's been happy hacking out too, not reactive and just a good fella so upward and onward.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Oh gosh, jingles to you blob. At least there is some consolation in actually seeing the incident than forever wondering the 'what if's or how's in the hecks'. Hope you find out it's less dramatic and just painful inflammation of whatever internal damage is.

Ryeissa- Car accidents are no joke and the forces incurred on the body during one can certainly take a while to surface. Be aware of soreness and don't power through!

Another positive notch in our belts in Field Trips Phase II as I like to call it. We headed out to a local-(ish) schooling night at a farm we had not been to. Strange indoor to warmup in and right out to strange outdoor to go around in. She was cautious but brave and I couldn't be more pleased with her. Mind you it was stupidly hot the day before so we went to this straight from 2 days off. Good 4 year old.

Onto some schooling show walk-trot tests next!!
Trot.jpg
Trot.jpg (185.83 KiB) Viewed 25039 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:11 pm

Blob, that is just crazy crappy for BP! Please update when you can. Fingers crossed. Heal well, Rye.

Aleuronx, that is yet another gorgeous picture of you and your young partner. :D What a good mare working right next to the Coverall! (My old barn had one of these, and I often found that horses think they are scarier on the outside than the inside, due to the perception of wall movement).

Goldhorse, I am unable to ride in those super sticky breeches. I have one pair of Kerrits Sit Tight Tights that I now love because I washed the crap out of them for 6 months before riding in them (well, I tried riding once and it was NOT FUN). Glad life is good!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:05 pm

thanks all!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Alyssa clinic was yesterday and today. We had two great while challenging rides. Working on an overall better connection, which has been really improving lately, and getting her more consistent in the trot-canter and canter-trot transitions as well as more balanced and supple while in the canter. We introduced small leg yields in the canter, and tiny bits of counter canter. Overall I’m really happy with how it went, and I’m excited to work on our new “homework”.
https://youtu.be/A9kKrKixO78
https://youtu.be/3R0m27QNIYw
Attachments
5B4480A1-D3E1-4929-A202-9312890E8FFB.jpeg
5B4480A1-D3E1-4929-A202-9312890E8FFB.jpeg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 24922 times
38C68B61-2909-40FA-8379-34E50B6B5271.jpeg
38C68B61-2909-40FA-8379-34E50B6B5271.jpeg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 24922 times
70530981-C0DA-4EB5-BF4E-23CAEC9F8559.jpeg
70530981-C0DA-4EB5-BF4E-23CAEC9F8559.jpeg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 24922 times
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:01 am

You and Phoenix are looking good. You're doing a great job of sitting up and letting her figure out how to get organized and balanced under you. Nice to see her start turning into a "real" horse. :)

I had lessons both days this weekend as well. Saturday it was 2pm, out in the sun, about 95 degrees. Kyra was sure I wasn't serious about working, but eventually we got going, and worked on basic connection and engagement. Lots of HI and SI to get her more supple and bending better.

This morning I was relieved to be scheduled at 8 am, and we worked more on getting collection in the canter. Here, we are doing an exercise on a circle of 180 degree TOH, then canter out the opposite direction, spiral in in a bit of travers, then LY out, think of cantering on the spot to do the C/W transition. Once I quit being so confused, we got some really nice moments, then finished with a little bit of trot HP. Still working on my shoulder; I tried to correct it periodically within the ride, but with so many other things to focus on, it kept reverting to left shoulder lower, but the first step is admitting the problem, right?

https://youtu.be/1xocxyeH040

And a little trot half pass starting to come together:

https://youtu.be/Zi6VEvTIg3A
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am

Having a wobbly moment. Had a show yesterday, rode Elementary 3 again (2nd level). It was not amazing. Odin was not amazing. And I was definitely not amazing. The warmup felt pretty good. But in the test, after the medium canter, he just tanked me around. Obedient transitions in the sense that they happened smoothly and where they were supposed to, but HEAVY HEAVY on my hands and overbent and scrunchy-necked. And I just hate every photo and my results and my life choices.

(Just bear with me, I promise I will be more positive in a few days but right now I am demoralised.)

Ironically, we're getting really good scores for our halts, which used to be our worst. Imagine the scores if he didn't treat the salute as the ideal moment to sight-see :p

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:27 am

Oh Mari, I am right with you! I did elementary with Norsey on the weekend too and we sucked. Really badly, in fact I feel my face going red thinking that people saw us. I have video and I don't even think I could fashion a nice still from it!
We were opposite in that we had no collection, long and lanky. I cannot ride my guy successfully in a snaffle, the half halts get stuck in his mouth and don't go through his body. I feel a failure saying I can't ride as well in a snaffle, because that sounds like I am a bad rider (and I probably am!) but with the curb I can get a lift and release. With a snaffle, he just goes squish with his throat. My saddle kept lifting at the back too, because his back was so dropped. I hate my life choices too ( :lol: )

But if it's any consolation, your photos aren't that bad and there are some nice ones. And your plaits are lovely.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Putting the medium canter first in the canter section of second level is a rather unkind bit of test writing IMHO... But that's probably why it's there...

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Ok, I haven't posted in a while. I've been working on getting Delilah ready for our next show end of August. This show forms part of a series and after the last show, we are sitting in fifth position overall in Adult Novice. Considering most of the other combinations have two qualifiers scores under their belts and we only have one under ours I'm pretty impressed. Now I just need to make sense of a new test for the next show as the last time I competed in Novice was with my old man and that was back in 2015 before he was retired. Let's just say in my last lesson there were a few moments when I stopped Delilah and first asked my instructor "Wait, what?"

Mountaineer, it seems as though whoever was writing the latest dressage tests in South Africa was feeling unkind in general. My trainer has said a few times with both Novice and Elementary there are a few weird or confusing moves (Novice 5 has a particularly confusing part with a half 20-metre circle followed straight on by a half 10-metre circle).

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Wow, Aleuronx, that arena even makes me want to spook! Picture looks great and glad you had a successful outing.

Phoenix & Straightforward--thank you for sharing video clips. Great to see your progress and to give us ideas for exercises. I really like that TOH to canter exercise and will have to try it with MM, who will likely not like it as much as I do!

Mari, your pictures are actually very nice! But I very much understand the feeling of leaving a show ring with a subpar performance.

Mari & Flight-- second level is a real doozy. I don't know what your tests look like, but in the USDF 2nd level, it seems like you canter around for ages and ages. There's definitely a much longer canter tour in 2nd than in 3rd, which seems crazy to me.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Well, several months later, and Moose is starting to look like less of a moose! I expect that in another month, month and a half, he’ll be ready to sit on. When I say that it takes months to adjust side reins, I meant it, and it’s fun to see the gaits and the shape change over time! This is “finished” shape. We went low on the side reins about 3 weeks ago, which is unusual, but with his neck shape, and how he wanted to use himself, it needed to happen.
My hip is still a work in progress. Not out of the woods by a long shot, but I got to walk on a horse for 5 minutes. It felt like heaven.

58FD7648-1AF0-49B5-9699-4BCFD761BAF7.jpeg
58FD7648-1AF0-49B5-9699-4BCFD761BAF7.jpeg (88.48 KiB) Viewed 24726 times
6402169A-69DC-4421-B6D9-963805B0C567.jpeg
6402169A-69DC-4421-B6D9-963805B0C567.jpeg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 24726 times

131F755C-2357-4D2B-9DB3-598915E6D930.jpeg
131F755C-2357-4D2B-9DB3-598915E6D930.jpeg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 24726 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Dang Mari, definitely been there, done that! I really hate leaving all the good stuff in the warm-up ring, but sometimes that's just the way things go. At least your horse didn't try to leap into the judge's stand! :shock: Next time Odin (and you) will be rockstars, I just know it. You two are so lovely together, hang in there. :D Same for you Flight!

Great video, SF and Phoenix, thank you for sharing.

I have only been dousing the horses in fly spray and giving them hugs, nothing else. Fair is finally over as of yesterday afternoon, but the heat sure isn't. Oh, and on Thursday afternoon I have to drive about 80 miles with a pickup full of equipment to put on a dog show for 2 4-H kids whose superintendent ran out on them with all the equipment. I swear I'll ride any day now. :P

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:19 am

To be honest riding inside the coverall arena was more worrisome than outside due to the space between the wood built kickboards and the structure itself. She did settle into warming up but there was some avoidance of the edges at the start for sure. The outside she didn’t give a second thought but we have a large greenhouse right by our outdoor arena that is very similar.

Ahh, the doldrums of 2nd level I remember it well. You finally feel like you are ‘doing’ things and many times just feel like you are failing to do them well. For me it is the strength building level, the stronger you and your horse are the easier and more capable the movements come.

Kora had bit of a chill weekend after 2 kinda back to back outings. I finally felt accomplished enough in her wash stall acceptance that I attempted a bath. While the bath was a success and I even washed her tail she was madder than a hatter about it at the end!! I ending up placating her by turning her out in the temp grazing area for grass while she dried. I made sure to bring mints when I went to swap her back out to her normal paddock. Thankfully all was forgiven and she came jogging up nickering to me or well the mints, either way ;)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:52 am

Flight wrote:Oh Mari, I am right with you! I did elementary with Norsey on the weekend too and we sucked. Really badly, in fact I feel my face going red thinking that people saw us. I have video and I don't even think I could fashion a nice still from it!
We were opposite in that we had no collection, long and lanky. I cannot ride my guy successfully in a snaffle, the half halts get stuck in his mouth and don't go through his body. I feel a failure saying I can't ride as well in a snaffle, because that sounds like I am a bad rider (and I probably am!) but with the curb I can get a lift and release. With a snaffle, he just goes squish with his throat. My saddle kept lifting at the back too, because his back was so dropped. I hate my life choices too ( :lol: )

But if it's any consolation, your photos aren't that bad and there are some nice ones. And your plaits are lovely.

This sport is very humbling :lol: I had a jumping lesson today, which went very well and made me feel like maybe I'm not totally crap.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:56 am

Moutaineer wrote:Putting the medium canter first in the canter section of second level is a rather unkind bit of test writing IMHO... But that's probably why it's there...

It is flat-out diabolical! :D

So that bit of the test goes:
(Tracking left), after P, turn on the haunches in walk.
F: Working canter.
KH: Medium canter.
AC: 3 loop serpentine, no change of leg.
V: Turn right.
Over L: simple change.
AC: 3 loop serpentine, no change of leg.
P: Turn left.
Over L: simple change.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Sorry your back is still sore, Rye. Jingles you get better really soon.

I DID IT!!!!

Obviously, I am very excited. :D I was riding last evening when the neighbor drove by in his "new" ancient ATV he was rehabbing. Tio was kinda keeping half an eyeball on him when suddenly, neighbor's dogs popped up out of my pasture. Naturally, Tio did a 90* whirl-and-bolt in response (no big deal) followed by explosive, back-cracking bucks when neighbor's border collie decided to take a little nip at him. He got in 2 really good ones and a third half size one before I got him back under control, but I did not come off AND i can still walk today! :D :D :D Not only am I relieved to have stuck the bucks but I know now that my back has recovered well enough to handle whatever Tio dishes out. Felt really good to this "old lady" to have made it through without injury. Party on, people, party on!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Good job Sue!
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:59 pm

yay SueB!! Well done You :-) Such a confirmation of your abilities to stick on and great that your back coped with the antics. [said with heart felt sympathies from a fellow rider-of-an-occasional-bucker!].

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 pm

So happy for you, Sue! You must feel so much more confident now!

We haven't been able to get a definitive diagnosis for RP because the injury seems to be behind the shoulder blade--making xrays and ultrasounds impossible. After several days with no improvement, he suddenly had some good healing overnight and is walking sound. He's still off at the trot. But the improvement makes me hopeful that this is a pulled muscle type thing. I've been giving him supervised turnout when i'm at the barn in a small space that is about the size of a twenty meter circle turned into a triangle. He hasn't done any crazy antics and i've been keeping a close watch. I'm hoping even just 1-2 hours of time outside the barn is making some difference in his mental state.

Meanwhile MM is doing well. She's itchy as can be and is very ready for fall. But work is going well. I've also been working half pass work. Her trot half passes are easy and decent enough in the canter. But there is a lot of room for us to improve and get better fluidity and self-carriage.

While waiting for RP to heal, I've been riding a horse that is jointly owned by the barn owner and trainer (it's a h/j barn). He was imported as a hunter prospect. But has made it clear that he doesn't love to jump. He's a lovely mover, so they are now looking to sell him as a dressage horse. I've been trying to put rides on him when i can, to get him more used to dressage work. He's a very sweet and smart horse and i'm really hoping someone snatches him up. It's been nice to get a few rides on something very different, especially while RP is laid up.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:34 pm

well, here I sit, beating myself up. Wobbly moment here, too...

Yesterday's show was a bit odd. I barely squeaked not achieving my goal of getting a qualifying score for regionals, so that was disappointing, But how I managed to mess it up was what was really disappointing. The stuff I've had problems with in the past, we did really quite well on (or we exchanged "too much angle" for "too little angle." sigh...) But somehow, having been able to do them really very well both at shows and at home in the past, we really washed out on the TOH--which are of course both a double coefficient, and the medium walk between them (which is all of about 10 steps, but counts for a lot as if it goes lateral apparently your are going to get dinged on your gait scores as well..) and got a trio of 4's. He also switched behind in one of the canter lengthenings, which got us another 4.

I'm wondering if we haven't quite got to the bottom of his hind end issues, and an hour and a half on the trailer made him uncomfortable. And of course, my farrier went on vacation and pushed us out a week, and his hind feet had already put on a rather interesting huge growth spurt when I had his hocks done, so that didn't help. I was riding fairly conservatively because of that, and to keep his sensitive little self from getting too anxious and amped up.

I'm wondering about his SI--I think if that's sore it might cause him to want to pivot rather than step in the TOH, and it could certainly be a culprit in the switching behind in the canter--and it would be aggravated by the long feet and the trailer ride. However, his lateral work is all still very fluid and easy, so I don't know. Of course, it could just all be the long feet.. (fingers crossed.) I like my farrier. but getting him to come more frequently than every six weeks is impossible, and this cycle being 7 was really not good at all.

Oh well. I probably didn't need to spend the money to go to regionals anyway. I have to say it was a really lovely show yesterday--beautiful friendly facility, the weather was perfect, blue skies, sunshine, not too hot, a nice breeze, quality judges (I'm not complaining, just a bit sad) and it was good to see some old friends riding well and having fun.

Farrier on Tuesday, Mette next weekend. Her eagle eye should spot any incipient lameness issues that the rest of us are missing.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 am

Aaaaaw Moutaineer, it happens. If he's fit and not tired after the show yesterday, I would give the troublesome movements another go at home today or tomorrow. If the same issues crop up, then start problem-solving for the physical issues you are worried about.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:19 pm

is the footing really different at the show? that can bring out some hind end stuff....? Best of luck getting to the bottom of it. Sounds like you have a good plan

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry you didn't have a good show, Moutaineer. hard to be amped up about going to Regionals only to "blow" it in the end. Is there no other show you can hit in time? Jingles that Laddie's si is okay and that this was just a one-off deal. Sure was beautiful weather this weekend, though.

Many things conspired against my riding much this weekend (including laziness on Saturday evening) but I did manage to get both worked on Sunday. Rudy was reluctant to step into the right rein when we started out but about 20 minutes of work in the walk sorted all that out and he had some really lovely trot and canter work afterwards. I did not ride "hard" per se, but I insisted that hh cause more "sit" (no popping up of the croup, hind legs must fold) starting in the walk--so it was a very focused ride. Tio was good beyond belief. Just to be safe, this time I lunged him before hopping on. As usual, he wanted to take off bucking in the first canter, but for the first time ever, he shut it down before he even got the first buck off! Usually, I have to hang on for dear life while I drive him on through his airs-above-the-ground, but this time when I urged him forward, he simply went forward. No muss, no fuss, perfect both directions. Up on his back, he was still very forward-thinking without nay bully behavior. I even managed to get a pretty good semblance of si on the long side both directions, and his canter to the left was so easy. He is still too strung out in the canter but that will come soon I trust. To the right, he tends to ball up too much and I'm always trying to open up the stride. Anyways, both kids were fun rides.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Ugh Mountaineer!! I concur on the footing perhaps exacerbating an issue perhaps?

A bit of highs and lows this week too. I was circling the worry drain of is it uclers? is it saddle fit? is it chiropractic? The answer is none of those but an incorrect Regumate dosing due to air in the dosing gun. Fixed that and within a few days we were back in business. Which was a good thing as we hit up a local schooling show to do a proper test!

In keeping with the 'low expectations, high praise' mantra it was a highly successful day. Sadly no media other than this post-ride apple snack as I was solo on this excursion.

All good things that she was able to step off the trailer and be tacked, mounted and ridden in the new place with strange horses. We managed to ride around/near the judges booth with help of the friendly scribe stepping out and giving encouraging words. Then rode a proper wobbly Intro B test! Comment on our post halt centerline was 'slightly swimming centerline' as we trotted off 3 steps, stopped and backed a few then back on forward to cut the corner away from the judges booth. :lol: We did all the movements just not always in the right places...

She was so brave and grew with confidence through the test. It was a great educational day and I'm excited to try again this weekend!
apple.jpg
apple.jpg (16.35 KiB) Viewed 24241 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 pm

So we had our Marius Schreiner clinic this weekend. The weather was perfect, my friends and the trailer in clients spot on nice people. My students really took good lessons so I was well pleased.

I also was able to really improve the grey wonder mare, and feel like I have a real.path forward.

Riding was a real pain, thanks to nerve impingement and trochanteric bursitis. I was given steroids to reduce inflammation, but was unable to take NSAIDs (allergic) so I rode thru pain. Sad face.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 am

So glad your clinic was a success, Chisamba! It's a lot of effort and a certain amount of risk putting it all together, so it's great when it's all works out!

I'm sorry you are in pain, though. I hope it all settles down to a manageable dull roar (which is how I feel about mine nowadays... if I were a horse I'd be a constant source of worry to my owner.)

Trying to schedule my clinic this weekend is like herding cats--I've got a lot of other things going on so I need people to get with the program! However, I have a keen group and a nice facility, so it could be a whole lot worse.

Laddie was good for the farrier today. His eagle eye couldn't spot anything wrong, so fingers crossed that it's between his ears...

I was working away at my desk this afternoon when a neighbor drove up to tell me that Walker had shimmied through the fence and was out eating grass on the side of the road. I think he's surprised himself and was quite happy to be caught and walked back home. He's bored, not handling retirement well. Once I get through the next week, I need to work out how to give him some sort of job and keep his mind occupied.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 am

I have been fiddling around with Kyra a couple times a week (SF is riding her 3-4x/week) so she is getting plenty of exercise. She looks good. Her muscling is spot on (all the right ones are developing) and I am enjoying her pearlescent summer coat because it won't last long. She is shedding the summer stuff now :P .

I am still wearing the dang cam boot. I try to get my paddock boot on a couple times a week but so far, no go. However, she was being very good today over on the track so I asked for some trot. Holy cow, but my middle is not in shape...even for rising trot. So we did short trot sets (one side of the track) and then back to walk. Her trot was quite lively but I let it roll. I am trying really hard not to ride front to back after being out of the saddle for so long. She is feeling much more responsive to the leg and I am able to send her to the bridle and keep my hands forward, above her withers. We also did a killer schaukel. I certainly wish they would have left this exercise somewhere in the test continuum.
We did 5 steps back, 5 forward, 5 back, then forward. She nailed it. Prompt and "forward" in the rein back then stepped smartly forward after each rein back. She seemed quite proud of herself and I was happy that I could actually control the number of steps for each phase.

I am glad you had such a good clinic Chisamba. He sounds like a wonderful clinician. I hope the nerve issue gets resolved and soon. Really hard to ride through that so kudos to you for being able to progress.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:I have been fiddling around with Kyra a couple times a week (SF is riding her 3-4x/week) so she is getting plenty of exercise. She looks good. Her muscling is spot on (all the right ones are developing) and I am enjoying her pearlescent summer coat because it won't last long. She is shedding the summer stuff now :P .

I've been noticing that she's grown some muscle behind the withers and her back is looking flatter and more filled in. Funny how it seems to show up all of a sudden.

Last night was day 4 of ground driving for Tesla, and only the second day that I had both reins through the surcingle. Smart girl is turning nicely both ways, stopping, and even backing up. So far we are working in the lunging caveson, so the next step will be to switch to the bit. I just ordered some long reining DVDs so we can up our game a bit. She's still a little off at the trot, so even though the vet said to put her to work, I'm cautious about doing anything that makes her associate training with discomfort. Hopefully the last bobble will resolve soon so I can get on and ride.

Annabelle seems lame as a month ago. Sigh. We'll see what the vet says next week.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Ugh, Mountaineer, I know that feeling well of having a show that just wasn't quite right in many small ways. I will second the question about the footing. There is a show venue in my area that I wont' take MM to until they fix the footing. it's not objectively AWFUL footing (though no one would call it good footing), it's just really bad for her. I would take another horse there, but for her it's just the perfect formula for a mess for her. I've also known some horses who swap behind when they get tense/nervous.

Glad others are having productive rides and clinics.

Straightforward, sorry to hear there's not much move and change in Annabelle. It's frustrating to not see change.

Speaking of no change, that's also where things are with RP and his not really diagnosed front lameness. He's perfectly sound in the walk, which is good, but his trot is pretty substantially lame. I will give it one other week (making it 3) before calling the vet back out. He's been going bonkers in his stall and I suspect getting him going again under saddle will not necessarily be the easiest.

MM's saddle came back and has been sent back AGAIN. Sigh. Someone remind me next time to never buy a new/custom saddle. I'm really hoping this time is the charm. I'm also starting to feel like i will never have reliably clean changes on MM. Not because she can't/wont' do them but because I can't. I really wish I had a horse with confirmed changes I could practice my timing on. The only ones I have access to are auto-changers, which won't really help me much either.

I've still been putting rides on that sale horse that is transitioning from hunters to dressage. I really hope someone scoops him up fast. Once RP is back in work I won't have time to ride him and he's just wasted potential. He really is such a trier and would be a dream AA ride--safe and comfortable. And he's been so straightforward and easy to ride compared to my two!

Here's a picture of the fellow. He needs to build a lot more strength, but hopefully he'll find a good home and will have the time to do that.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 12.46.23 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 12.46.23 PM copy.png (70.87 KiB) Viewed 24082 times

Return to “Dressage Training”