Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:19 pm

Time for the sweaty slog through summer! :lol:

Self
Continue running 1x per week and gym 2x per week
Feldenkrais and/or yoga 2x per week
Lose the stirrups for part of a ride 1x per week

Tesla
Well, she is lame as of today, but hoping she'll be back to work next week so:
Improved contact and straightness in transitions.
Cantering on smaller circles.
Baby counter canter.
Jump crossrails.
Continue suppling with SI and HI, ToH.

Annabelle
Continue with the homework we were given in last lesson:
Quickening up the hind end
Riding in the double
Lots of canter transitions getting the canter more through and collectible
Yielding the haunches out and in on a circle to get the hind legs more under
Hopefully show August 20th
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm

My goals are much of the same of what they've been, just building more on to what we've been doing:

Junior
Continue to work the canter so that it's supple and the same canter on both leads
Hopefully we'll be ready for consistently clean flying changes towards the end of this challenge but we'll see
Build stamina in Junior's second trot and medium trot
Do a little more jumping

Brandon
I've already been working on his trot-halt-trot transitions which we'll continue to work on more engagement (appropriate for his level).
Work on even better balance at the canter
Continue to work on leg yields so that the one to the right (sticky) is a mirror image of the one to the left (much better/easier)
Start true trot lengthenings
Do more cavalleti work

Ace
Continue his work on the lunge at the canter
Hopefully get some trail riding in if the monsoon rains would cooperate

Me
Continue to work out 4 days a week (my current number of days off) despite planning on taking on a bunch of extra shifts at work

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 pm

2nd show all year on Sunday. FEI test and freestyle with each. For Quilla, we will NOT stop in piaffe! For Quinn, just more relaxed and quicker from behind. One more show end of July so I can do AA champs. with Quinn at PSG and I-1, and then just get in another GP and freestyle with Quilla.

For me, lose those extra pounds, maybe now my hormones will be settling after menopause? Seriously, I work out hard 5 days a week an hour, hike to get the horses, ride two and really don't eat much!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:20 pm

I have a big trip in August, so this will be a bit of a slower period in terms of goal, trying not to be too ambitious!

Me:
Continue to eat healthy
Drink water
Do something physical on days I can't ride
Practice hauling once trailer arrives

MM
Start doing work in the arena
Continue trot and canter, working towards a 40 minute riding session
Bring in poles and small jumps to keep interest up

RP
2nd clinic with Heidmann in July, get more homework
Show? There are not many options in July/Aug so this one may not happen
Keep trotting in hills, add in canter
Start working on haunches-in in trot and canter
Continue to build strength in SI

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:12 am

Me…continue to work on the diet. Cut out more processed food and stay hydrated. I am still having issues with my left hip…tendonitis and/or bursitis.
I have had 2 steroid shots. They definitely help but not for long (4-ish weeks). I don’t want to just keep doing steroid shots so on the 12th I
am getting PRP in the bursa and the gluteal tendons. I am really over this…it has been bothering me more on than off since last September. I want it gone before my vacation next May.

Kyra…continue on basics. Get her more even in the contact and continue to seek relaxation. She is much improved from 2 months ago but she could be mellower and more responsive to me vs her environment. Canter is feeling much closer to a ‘working’ canter where we can start doing some counter canter and simple lead changes.
Get her up the hill and onto some trails. We need a babysitter for that and my main buddy for this has COVID :( so I need to wait until she recovers or I may be able to get the BO to babysit us up the hill.

Today I had a lovely ride. It was my first ride since her weird bleeding episode and I kept it easy with just walk and trot. She was better relaxed and I felt her tempo was slower with a bit longer stride with some actual suspension. She is not a big, strong mover so suspension isn’t a given. Everything has to come together to get that. We had plenty of distractions too so I was very happy that she stayed tuned in to me. When I went to mount, there was a deer on the opposite side of the creek and willows. I was sure it was just going to hop out of the willows at any time so I cut the arena in half to warm up and give us a buffer. Eventually two of them popped up out of the creek on the other side of the next arena. Usually they head straight up to the road and cross. Oh no, they turn down parallel to arena and start running toward us :shock: . I stopped her, she stuck her head up in the air trying to figure out what was going to attack her and they realized she was there and stopped. I waved my arms a little which convinced them to go up to the road. They crossed and were gone in a flash. She stood for all of that and went right back to work with a bit of looky-lou stuff but still tuned into me. We ended with a cruise up the hill on the barn property and she didn’t even lose her mind over the foal. Win-win.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:04 am

Goals for these two months

With the heat and humidity it’s lighter work sometimes and we are gone on vacation for a week in August. But here goes

Joplin schooling CC piaffe from trot do some gallops in the field. Trot poles on lunge maybe haul to poplar place to school depending on the heat. She has a sarcoid in her ear we are dealing with. Needs injecting.

Gaila riding in double work on CC maybe FCs? Definitely have eyes on the ground for that.
Hauling next week for US and uterine culture see what the reason was she did not catch. Looking to breed again November for October foal.

Did find a Saphiro 3 yr old palimino gelding but $35,000 is a bit out of my price range. There are young horses out there that look to have nice potential if Gaila is not able to be bred successfully. So all of this is still up in the air depending on what we find on the culture.

Me eat better. With Kevin still isolating (still tested positive) food is haphazard I also tend to be an emotional eater which between Roe and the SC other decisions Jan 6 hearings and mom whose dementia is progressing and the scare of Covid yeah the eating is not good. And I turned 55 today. Reminding myself age is just a number

I hope to be back in pilates next week and I’ve been introduced to vibrating plate and how it can help with weight loss. A friend is using it for her MS. Supposed to be good for bone density so will probably have mom use it some too because as a typical small light framed white woman that does not exercise her bone density is an issue.

Will report back on the vibration plate. I know some use them on horses and I’ve actually looked into them before.

Let’s hope the weather is not too difficult these next two months especially considering it is hurricane season now ( our vacation is in Florida always risky this time of year)

Stay cool and happy riding all!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:28 pm

I'm having trouble coming up with many goals this time. Summer just gets extra busy for us and I feel when you have a young horse it's best to keep things realistic.

Me: keep working on my position as always. I need to sit up more, longer leg and bend my elbows. My back has been killing me but I discovered our bed frame has broken, definitely not helping me feel good. So new bed on the way.

Lynx: keep getting him in front of my leg, keep getting him to work straight and stay strong. He's at times getting a little fussy in the contact, mostly in transitions. Trainers both say they think it's just him now working harder and not so sure that he wants to do that. I do have a new bit to try but I think it's more about getting his hind end working than the bit.

I do want to ride in the field and get off property at least once. We might do a schooling show in August.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:14 pm

Goals... well it will be hot here for this period and the construction at the farm will be ramping up, so not dieing will be top of list :)

Apart from that:

1. Continue to improve my timing for the FCs, which has got so much better but could be better still.

2. Continue to work on not fiddling with my hands and using my legs more.

3. Extended gaits. Everything about them (including that not dieing thing in more ways than one!) He's good, I need to learn to go with the flow and not pinch.

4. Still struggling to lose 5lbs. In times past, it would have melted off with the riding and heavy yard labor I've been doing in the heat so far this year, but it just isn't this year. Blah.

5. Go to a show. Aiming for Estes Park in mid August. It should be much cooler up there. I might also try and go to a local (as in 10 minutes from where I board) recognized show in 3 weeks or so just to test the waters. There's some weirdness and tricky politics involved there though, so I have to check it won't freak out my trainer.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 pm

Tesla seems to be better. Yesterday I mostly tack walked her and added on a bit of trot at the end. She was good to the left but a touch off circling right. Today I hopped on and she seemed totally fine both directions, so we had a good ride W/T/C. Working on maintaining bend, keeping her with me and not just anticipating and charging off.

This morning I hauled Annabelle over to the large indoor and she was foot perfect. It probably helped that there wasn't a soul around, so nothing to get excited about except the resident mules. I think the work on getting her inside hind more under and quick is helping. They have big mirrors, and while it wasn't all perfect, I liked most of what I could see. She was going nicely into the double bridle without hauling me off. Hopefully she'll get a little quicker/stronger and that can translate back into the snaffle.

Board is being raised substantially at Obie (my retired guy)'s barn, so I am looking to either move him to my main barn, since the cost will now be the same, or try pasture board for half the cost about 15 minutes away. I'm unsure about that though, since he lost condition winter before last and I've been feeding him amino acids and the Buckeye rice bran pellets since then to keep his weight right.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:35 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Board is being raised substantially at Obie (my retired guy)'s barn, so I am looking to either move him to my main barn, since the cost will now be the same, or try pasture board for half the cost about 15 minutes away. I'm unsure about that though, since he lost condition winter before last and I've been feeding him amino acids and the Buckeye rice bran pellets since then to keep his weight right.

Oh no, that is tough. Could you do the pasture board for the summer and then move him to your main barn for the winter?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:18 pm

I thought about that, but I'm concerned that there won't be space in winter. BO is letting me cut in line on her waiting list and it will still be two months to get him in. It will be a good thing for him though, because I'll be able to stay more on top of his hoof care and blanketing and whatnot. I would love to find him a spot as a companion since he is really a good boy and does well with all types of other horses.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:08 pm

I hope you find the right spot for Obie. If you were near west TN, I could point you to my equine retirement resort — Mom :D

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:10 pm

Hope all the US based ponies are surviving the holiday weekend of 'sky booms'. We are on the 4th night (lol), dog doesn't much care but enjoys barking with the neighbor doggos. Neighbor puts on a good show, ~30mins a night but we are hoping tonight is the finale.

Barn is still a cluster of here and there barn care for the horses. No word on new help yet...

I had a lovely canter in the hay field this morning, just trying to enjoy our summer time. We'll be competing quite a bit in this section which I'm excited about, 2 one day affairs in July and then an overnight in August to the regionals venue. Also a good distraction to barn turmoil.

Section Goals:
-Rider fitness of some variety (yoga? bike? weights?)
-Pip the 70% barrier at 1st 3. Trainer says good and reasonable goal to have so putting it to 'paper'
-Going 'lite' on lessons as we will be here there and everywhere. 3x to trainers
-Keep rolling with the Sunday Funday's of either polework or field play

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:22 pm

Laddie had a choke episode last evening and ended up having to go to the vet, (after hours on the Sunday before a holiday--I'm not looking forward to that bill...) I've just got back from visiting him and he's doing pretty well today, but it was a bit of a scare for the old boy. I do love the barn he is at though, she just loaded him up, took him in and sat and held his hoof while they dislodged the blockage, and then took him home again, and has been fussing over him ever since. Refuses to take a dime for the extra work.

So I didn't get a ride today, and I clocked up a hefty speeding ticket on the way back from the valley... so happy 4th, guys.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:17 pm

Wow Moutaineer, that sounds like an expensive and scary day! Glad Laddie is OK and in such great hands.

Aleuronx, sounds like you have a busy summer coming up!

Heddy - handy to have Hotel Mom for horses that are out of work! Unfortunately no one in my family has horse property.

I had a great ride on Tesla last night until the fireworks started along with a couple yahoos running their dirtbikes of the canal bank. She is really starting to listen and letting me balance her more in the canter. The quickening up the hind legs work with Annabelle is really making a difference for her, along with lots of canter transitions. Last night we got some really nice W/T transitions in SI keeping the RH under and active. I think she is getting it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm

Way to bring out the red, white, and blue flashing lights, Mountaineer! That's one way to celebrate the 4th. Sorry for the choke scare, too-- these horses keep us on our toes.

The one upside from our months-long drought is a county-wide burn ban and prohibition on fireworks, which made this Monday the quietest 4th of July we've had in years.

The downside of our months-long drought is that we're still looking at weeks of 100+ degree temperatures (~40ish C for our non-US board members), which is withering both the grass in the pastures (which is crunchy and brown) and also my willpower to even exist outdoors.

But we'll sweat our way through it, although I fully expect a reduction in duration and quality of the work as we just look to survive the heat.

Goals this time around:
- Lessons 2x/month
- Break in the new saddle (! Although poor thing gets its intro to work via the sweatiest season of the year)
- Continue to improve engagement: school compression (half-steps or similar, pirouette canter, etc.) and extension on the same days; 2x/week
- By end Aug: Install working pirouette

For me:
- Lose 5 lb (but this time, it's a different 5 lb!)
- Walk/bike/yoga 30 min/day

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:01 pm

Mountaineer, I am glad Laddie is OK. Kyra repeatedly choked as a youngster. It is not fun. Thankfully, all hers cleared on her own but she probably did it 6-8 times. I did have her scoped and she was clear (no adhesions or anything like that). Amazingly, the choke episodes quit when she grew wider in the chest. She was a puny narrow little horse until she was about 5.

Well, fingers crossed she has had no more bleeding from the south end. I am still just flummoxed at what happened to cause it. At least it went away as fast as it came on.

I put her back to work last Friday and have had some nice rides/works. I have been working on straightness in the connection and trying to figure out how to get some softness in the connection. She always tends to brace against the bit more than I would like. I know she doesn’t like bits but come on—figure it out after all these years. If you can be soft, I will be soft. I long reined her on Saturday and she alternated between braced and soft. so, the soft is there, I just have to figure out the best way to induce it.

Today, I kind of stumbled into better softness by doing a LY exercise. I would turn early, LY 5-6 strides to the rail, do 10m half circle, LY 5-6 strides, another 10m half circle then LY 5-6 strides back to the rail then straight down the rail in a nice very forward trot. She was very soft and totally in front of the leg :) . She had some nice what I consider appropriate even lipstick. I couldn’t get canter as soft but her canter is improving a lot since this spring and the crazy tense stuff she was giving me.
I did do a bit of LY in canter. I did a few w/c/w transitions. Canter to walk was not great but walk to canter wasn’t bad. Right lead she is totally coming from behind. Left lead, not so much but it makes sense that her right hind is her weaker side. We finished with a walk up the hill and 3 laps around one of the hilly turnouts that was open. All in all very pleasant rides and good progress.

My barn peep that had COVID is back and hopefully, in the next couple weeks, we can head up on the trails. I won’t go out alone.

Susan

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:08 pm

Gosh, Mountaineer, how scary--glad everything turned out ok and that you have such a wonderful BO!

I am finally feeling much better, post-COVID, but work is looking very busy this week and then this coming weekend we are supposed to go out of town. So, I'm not sure much riding will get done, which is probably ok as both horses seem to be doing fairly well right now.

MM and I are starting build back into real work and not just hacking around with trot and canter sets. It's nothing crazy, but I'm starting to ask her to engage her body better when we're trotting and cantering and bringing in more lateral work into our trot sets. I've also tossed in some jumping. All while keeping an eye on breathing, of course. I am keeping her what I think is a reasonable rate for exercise. We are still getting to that point earlier/easier than we would have at this time last year. But I'm also recognizing that I will have to push her some to increase the stamina.

RP has been doing well. Our trot work is feeling stronger, but I still wish I was getting a bit more sit and push. We've been taking to the fields to really work that hind end trotting up the field. I've put a pin in the w-c-w transitions for a bit, they were going well but I think he needs to work on a bolder/bigger canter right now. So we've been doing more canter lengthenings and also LYs in the canter--these feel easy for him and I can already tell we're going to have an easier time with canter HP than trot HP once we get there. I am ITCHING to play with changes some, but also worried about messing them up.

Also got some pictures from the JS clinic, here a few:
Attachments
MMP_4269©meg-mcguire.com.jpg
MMP_4269©meg-mcguire.com.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 98043 times
MMP_0783©meg-mcguire.com-2.jpg
MMP_0783©meg-mcguire.com-2.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 98043 times
MMP_4317©meg-mcguire.com-2.jpg
MMP_4317©meg-mcguire.com-2.jpg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 98043 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:36 pm

You're such a lovely, elegant pair @blob!

I read that with my hand at my throat @Mountaineer. How is he doing today? Maia chokes and that's my worst nightmare.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:12 pm

He's doing much better, thanks! I haven't had the intestinal fortitude to call the vet to find out the financial damage yet...

I had a good ride in the sweltering heat this afternoon. I think I have finally sorted out my timing for the flying changes. I dont know why I have found it so difficult. Except my long suffering musician husband would concurr that I am also a rotten dancer with little sense of rhythm!

Nice pics Blob! Looking good!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:04 am

Blob - such beautiful pics! That indoor with the stone pillars is also wow...

I've been off-horse for about 5 weeks with a bad thumb injury. I started riding yesterday, just the warmup part of a jumping lesson and popping over a few tiny things. Pain level is okay, but I don't have a lot of grip, and it hurts to hold the whip in that (dominant) hand. So it was a so-so lesson. Dressage lesson tomorrow, so will see how that goes.

I just feel very meh at the moment. I'm terrified of getting hurt again, and having a less-functional hand is much more scary than it was having a bad ankle injury and just going stirrupless. Doing my head in, blegh.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:20 pm

Is there a word for the harder I try the worse it is, the less I try the better it goes! It is my goal to do that from now till the show.

Goals. Show and improve fourth level on Saiph.

Schooling show and improve all aspects of third level on Kimba

Show second level on Cali. Introduce piaffe and flyover changes for what it gives to collection.

For me, manage hip pain and improve riding level

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:33 pm

Blob. Pony looks fabulous, those are really some nice photos.

Exvet, if you ever actually get an equal canter in both directions bottle that skill and sell it for millions.

Kyras mom, stupid question, have you tried treading water at whatever point she gets against the bit and demi arrete until she relaxes her jaw

Mari, there is a lot of mental recovery after being hurt. A lot more than physical recovery. Try a sports psychologist?

I am in full empathy with everyone trying to lose that five pounds.

Moutaineer sorry about the choke, Estes Park was always cooler when I showed there and good luck with your flying change timing.

StraightForward, full steam ahead on treating Tesla like an adult lol.

Khall what is a CC Piaffe? ( only joking that is how I read it and for a moment o thought whaaat? ). I decided to scrap the idea of breeding but I bet I'll regret it.

Aleuronix riding out does great work in improving and enjoying the canter. Yay.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:50 pm

Chisamba wrote:Is there a word for the harder I try the worse it is, the less I try the better it goes! It is my goal to do that from now till the show....

If you figure it out, let me know as I have that issue too. Finding softness and how to ride less but get better results. For example LY, keep the hands where they belong-no pulling back on the inside rein, make sure I have the outside shoulder, and just swing my hip in the direction of the leg yield while keeping him forward. And bam! Whaaaaaaaat??!! Think swing were the words and wow :D

Goals:
A schooling show with at least 1 First level test (maybe 2) but TR test 3 and FirstT1 probably.

A real show at First Level

Get the canter transitions with no resistance, meaning he stays round and I don't pull my hands back and I don't fall back in my body.

Keep the inside hind in both directions active in corners and on circles

Work on CC, I've been playing with shallow loops on the long side. Good on the left lead and we are making progress on the right lead.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:31 pm

Beautiful, Blob! I really enjoyed looking at those pictures. I so like it when a horse and rider “fit” each other so well, as you and RP do. Athletic and elegant at the same time. Thanks for posting.

I didn’t close out the May/June thread because my riding life has done an about face since I got Besa. I don’t have any clear goals for her at the moment, but I am planning to show her in the future. I want to show starting at 1st and go up through the levels with her. My trainer “loved” the idea.

As far as progress, I am into week 7 of 5 lessons a week. As of this week I am going to go to 4 lessons a week and riding her on my own 1 day a week. The 5 lessons a week has been a “total immersion” way of learning and it’s working. My trainer trained Besa from day one, and she has trained me on Rocky as an occasional haul-in for 4 years, so she knows both of our strengths and weaknesses. The lessons are intense. Not that we are doing anything difficult, but that she is re-training me and not letting me off the hook for a second. The very second I lose the outside rein connection, she corrects me. The second I let the reins too long, she corrects me. We do walk, trot and canter, all the time not letting my mistakes get passed one stride. Im exhausted after each ride but quite thrilled! We just started getting collected canter and today she added walk-canter-walk. She said for now “doing it her way” is hard for me because I’ve done it on my own for so long. I have muscle memory that needs to be overwritten. She know Im working each lesson till I have no more muscle or brain left, and has thanked me several times for “sticking it out”. And she reminds me that it will be worth it. Little by little she is letting me feel my own way. It’s hard to describe. She said I have good feel, and for now, the feel she is teaching me doesn’t feel “right” to me, but not to worry because I won’t lose my own feel. It will be there when I am ready for it….

There are a million other things that I am being drilled on, like looking where I am going so that I can handle a busy warm-up ring at shows.

I am keeping up with all ya’all’s reports!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:23 pm

mari wrote:
I just feel very meh at the moment. I'm terrified of getting hurt again, and having a less-functional hand is much more scary than it was having a bad ankle injury and just going stirrupless. Doing my head in, blegh.

Mari, hang in there.

It took me a long time to feel comfortable again after I injured my hand badly over a year ago. I think, because we are so dependent on them, hand stuff makes us really realize how vulnerable we are to being taken out by small-seeming injuries. I slipped on ice at the very end of winter, and this last winter I spent my life outside shuffling around in terror of going over again.

That anxiety about getting hurt really spilled over into my riding life, and, as far as my brain was concerned, when I tore my rotator cuff last November doing something totally trivial, I just proved to it that it was right and I wasn't safe to be out, let alone riding.

I was helped quite a bit by reading and working through the exercises in a book called "Brain Training for Riders" by Andrea Monseratt Waldo. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally do, to be honest, but I was getting to the point where I thought I should just hang it up, I was getting so anxious about riding, so I'd try anything! I also sobbed all over my poor physical therapist about the whole thing, who was kind and supportive and helpful with strategies to help me get my head back in the game--which were not so different to those offered up by the book.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:58 am

Chisamba, I guess I am not sure what you mean by treading water?? What has been working fairly well is to do some counter bending for 2-3 strides then allowing the reins ‘forward’ (not dropping the reins at all just a forward suggestion with my hands or going to neutral if you like). If she softens and comes over the topline we proceed. If she braces again, I rinse and repeat. I do a demi arrete if she starts bearing down on the bridle but mostly lately she is stuck popping out her lower neck, not really heavy but most definitely not ‘through’ or even in the contact.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Kyras_Mom wrote:Chisamba, I guess I am not sure what you mean by treading water?? What has been working fairly well is to do some counter bending for 2-3 strides then allowing the reins ‘forward’ (not dropping the reins at all just a forward suggestion with my hands or going to neutral if you like). If she softens and comes over the topline we proceed. If she braces again, I rinse and repeat. I do a demi arrete if she starts bearing down on the bridle but mostly lately she is stuck popping out her lower neck, not really heavy but most definitely not ‘through’ or even in the contact.

Susan

Whatever you did that caused the stiffening, repeat identically gently lifting the bit til the horse can no longer use the bar of its mouth to hold and softens. For example. Do not change bend, do not allow the horse th change posture. Whatever posture you were at, stay there and make to only request be that she chew softly before anything is allowed to change.

Most of us change something to achieve a desired result. Add leg, go sideways, change bend, add impulsion. Horses get very good at knowing this so if you ask then to do something they do not like, or do not understand, they grab the bit because they have trained us to change something rather then wait to get the correct response before offering the reward of correct contact.

I tell my good riders to learn to
a) immediately identify the moment the undesirable change occurred.
B) tread water. Ie maintain the exact same speed rhythm, posture and position.
C) change only one thing be very consistent and very quick to reward when the horse understands and accepts whatever caused the problem.

I'll describe an example. My friend bought a horse I had trained. All of a sudden he had no left lead. When she got the left lead he would rush and not collect or break. So she trailered in for a lesson. I watched her warm up and noticed that whenever she put her leg on he would throw his head up, she would squeeze the bit. He would tuck behind the vertical and rush. So to her intense frustration we didn't even get to the canter. Every time he threw his head up I would ask her to put her leg on, not let him rush and not let him tuck. The key was to keep his neck in the exact posture it had been before the leg was added, and repeat. ( tred water) my goodness it too about 30 minutes of my patiently repeating. After about 30 boring minutes of insisting she remind him no tucking. He quit tossing his head and when I asked her to canter left, she didn't even remember it was his *bad side.

So the problem was not really the canter, it was the small evasion that had crept in to every time she applied leg.

You just have to be a very observant rider to do this. Try to notice the moment something goes less well, identify the cause and tread water til you have created an improved response.

For example with a rider. Every time the rider tries to half pass she curves her spine. I do not allow her to even attempt the half pass. I make her tread water and T her body. Over and over until she is capable of applying the aid without arching. She gets so mad at me then frustrated at herself and by goodness she goes away and rides by herself and turns into a pretzel and fails to ride a good half pass. Then one day in a lesson she finally rewarded herself with the correctness and suddenly understood the correct feeling and started to apply the technique on herself. She is still my only rider who cannot do the barrel challenge but she had finally understood that the had never progressed past second level because of her lean and arc and is applying herself to improve it every time she rides instead of expecting me to magically fix her horse so she can ride it in her comfort level.

Horses, we humans, we often do not even realize the self defeating things we do when attempting to reach a goal. My cursed dropped shoulder in pirouette is mine.

Video is so educational.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:51 pm

Thanks for the very good explanation. That is basically what I have been doing the last couple rides—subbing the counter bending for a Demi arrete. Headed out to the barn soon and will be extra diagnostic :) . She has been pissy about bits since day one. The ‘usual’ single or double jointed snaffle was causing actual physical harm to her inner cheeks. So, it has been a long road and I have voiced out loud more than once that I didn’t know if I was a good enough rider to fix her dislike (after finding a bit that did not physically pinch her). But I haven’t given up either. I don’t know if that is good or bad :? .

Susan

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:05 pm

Phew for the horses and people with challenges! Thinking of you all. Blob, glad you are improving and feeling stronger. Those photos are awesome---you both look so composed and focused in a big setting. Fingers crossed that Laddie's choke was a 1x affair. Demi, I am so impressed by your commitment to learning and re-shaping your riding! It sounds like a tough and awesome experience with your new parter and trainer. SF, I love that AnnaBelle keeps surprising you! Hope Tesla is right soon.

Everyone, I would be interested to learn about the kinds of changes in costs you are seeing for your routine boarding/care/feed/etc. expenses. I am frankly surprised that my barn hasn't just done another price increase---but I also know that they prefer to keep their boarders long term if possible--and not to make people run away from sticker shock!

Emi and I are up to 10 minutes of trot! I swear, rehab is about re-learning the training scale and how to bring a horse up the levels step by step. Like many of you are experiencing in the US, it is very H O T here in E TN---about 5-10 degrees above our so-called normal temps. I spent a few days this week in our local mountains, which was still humid but 15-20 degrees cooler. It was a shock to return to the valley (1200 feet v 4000-5000 feet).

Main goal: Keep going on the rehab path, taking the time it needs. My sense at this point is that Emi is more than willing to do the work. From other rehab experience, I think it will require us to be at 20+ minutes of trotting plus the ability to do shoulder in at trot before we are ready for any real canter. That may not happen (that trot development) by August, but we shall see.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:15 pm

[quote="Chisamba"

Exvet, if you ever actually get an equal canter in both directions bottle that skill and sell it for millions.
[/quote]

LOL, well I think my new instructor is the one who should be getting that credit; but if today is any indication I won't be a millionaire any time soon. I was informed I have to change the way I ask for a canter depart, that asking with the inside leg is what is causing Junior to give me the skip a beat flying change. I was told a few weeks ago that my timing for asking for a fc was correct but today I guess it's only correct if I ask differently for the canter transition.......in other words I need to ask for the canter using only half halt (outside rein for whichever lead I want) and the outside leg back or I will never be able to get the one's. Now this is something that is going to take some time for me to mentally transition as well as make the physical changes and that's not even giving a thought as to how long it will take Junior to accept and understand (once I accept and understand)..........oh well I have my homework and new goals to work towards for the next several weeks.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Very interesting, Exvet. I’m having to change a lot of the way I’ve always ridden, but I’ve never trained a horse to the FEI level, let alone ridden at that level. You’ve trained several to FEI and quite successfully. So I can't even imagine how you are feeling about changing your canter strike off aids. I would bet money that you’ll come out on top no matter what, but will still be watching to see how you do it! I hope we get some videos!

Chisamba, your explanation to Susan was also helpful to me. It is a lot like the way Christine is training me. I feel frustrated at times, but I’m getting enough glimmers of how good it feels when I do it right that I don’t mind the temporary frustration. I am totally exhausted after every lesson, and my hips are screaming, but even so, I can’t wait for the next day’s lesson!

I was talking to another of her students the other day who also takes 5 lessons a week on his horse who is now schooling FEI. I asked him how long he’d been taking 5 lessons a week because I was worried that I’d wear my trainer out. He said not to worry, because he’d been doing it for 3 years and if he hasnt worn her out yet, I won’t either!.

After my lesson today I was discussing with my trainer about the “total immersion” and she said one of the best learning experiences she’d ever had was training 6 days a week with Betsy Steiner in Florida for two months. Now she was already an experienced,very successful FEI trainer and rider, but still benefitted from the intense training.

Piedmont, my board and full training went from 1850/month, to 2K. This includes laundry (pads and boots) once a week, and all feed and hay. The horses live in large 3-5 acre pastures with shelters, 2-4 horses per pasture. I go get and tack up my own horse, but the students will do that if I wanted. They will also untack and bathe the horse after. They also clean tack every day, although I like to do my own. Shoeing went from 200 to 215 for a full set of shoes. For my horses at home, I buy coastal and alfalfa hay to last a full year. I have a load on order and will let you know how much it has gone up. (I was afraid to ask!)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:06 pm

My old barn owner had increased fees by $100 in January. It was the largest one-time increase she'd ever charged us in nearly 15 years. I started out paying $550/month and was up to $800 by the time we left. The new place is $770, including staff. The old place was a quarter the size, and only the barn owner.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:25 pm

Blob, gorgeous photos!!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:23 am

Well..very interesting session today. I did as Chisamba outlined and had a very nice ride. I tried the demi arrete instead of the counter bending and it didn't take her long to be reasonably happy and quieter in the mouth, especially in canter where on right lead, her mouth is usually going all the time. I don't think she was over the back as much as she could be but was much more appropriate with her head and neck. I did not have to tread water for long. She responded pretty quickly.
The best thing (?) about using the arrete...it really is hard to work backwards with the hand which I am sure I was doing to some degree and was creating issues with that. Anyway, I thought I would report back.

As far as video, I just don't have the $$ for a Pivo or Soloshot right now so I am going to try and find a little tripod for the phone I can attach to the fence. I will have to figure out my circle and it will have to be my poor man's Pivo but I do need some feedback.

Blob, I agree with everyone else. Lovely pictures.

Susan

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:22 am

Moutaineer wrote:Mari, hang in there.

It took me a long time to feel comfortable again after I injured my hand badly over a year ago. I think, because we are so dependent on them, hand stuff makes us really realize how vulnerable we are to being taken out by small-seeming injuries. I slipped on ice at the very end of winter, and this last winter I spent my life outside shuffling around in terror of going over again.

That anxiety about getting hurt really spilled over into my riding life, and, as far as my brain was concerned, when I tore my rotator cuff last November doing something totally trivial, I just proved to it that it was right and I wasn't safe to be out, let alone riding.

It's partly the fact that two of my most catastrophic injuries occurred in the saddle, and they were from tiny events, people on the ground couldn't even see me get hurt. No falls, nothing dramatic, my horse being an angel. My body just feels very vulnerable and fragile to me right now, even when I'm not riding.

And you're right, we're so dependent on our hands, this one has knocked me off my mental game completely.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:17 pm

Kyras_Mom wrote:As far as video, I just don't have the $$ for a Pivo or Soloshot right now so I am going to try and find a little tripod for the phone I can attach to the fence. I will have to figure out my circle and it will have to be my poor man's Pivo but I do need some feedback.

Susan, if you want to borrow my Pivo for a few months, you are welcome to it. Unless my SoloShot totally gives up the ghost, I don't expect to use it until I get a new phone. Combing the reins usually worked well for me with Kyra, so I could see the demi arrete working well with the bonus of keeping her more in a working frame.

Blob, add me in admiring your photos. That dusty pink looks amazing with RP's coat, and the work looks lovely as well.

Mari, so sorry about the physical troubles and feelings of vulnerability that go with it.

Tesla went lame again :( She seems to get better with work, but not fully working out of it. I couldn't get an appt with the vet until next Thursday, so she is on Previcox and I'm going out morning and evening to get her moving (no turnout for a few days while they irrigate) and use the laser on her shoulder as long as she seems to be enjoying it (this morning she dropped her head and did a big lick and chew).

I had a little bit of a lightbulb moment getting better connection into the outside rein and getting the RH under the body going right. Parts of the ride were rough, but I think we are on to something to improve the right lead canter and our canter departs.

Tomorrow morning I'm planning to go watch the big recognized show. Hardly anyone is showing 2nd, but lots of 3rd level rides that I'll try to catch.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:54 pm

Wave at the Utah group for me, SF! I think there are 3 x 3.3 rides from my barn...

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 pm

oh Blob stunning photos all around, you the pony and the arena. Just wow.

piedmontfields - As I shared before we just ate a $100 increase. Same as you heddy that is the largest one-time increase I've ever had to manage. And this is after a $50 increase back in October last year. I will now be paying $825 for field board, which contrary to it's name is not a field at all but a dirt paddock with shed. That pays for facility use, hay+feed and the mares to be separated for breakfast/dinner grain, pretty bare bones on the services side for the cost. Between the 2 of us we pick out the shed/paddock daily to keep it clean and less flies, although the new stall cleaner doesn't know any better and has been picking out when he's there. My lips are sealed on that one. ;)

Trainer is around this weekend so I booked in for a lesson tomorrow. Not sure what I want to work on but I'm sure she'll have ideas. I am tinkering with the left to right suppleness (or lack there of) in change of direction. Just unsure if I want to marinate more on what the blockage is or give trainer the go ahead to pick at us. To be determined...

I got our time for next weekends show and very pleased to have a mid-afternoon time. A leisurely morning to get over there and back in time for dinner, not too bad. I'm fully due a crap time and will take it when it comes!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:00 pm

Aleuronx wrote:
piedmontfields - As I shared before we just ate a $100 increase. Same as you heddy that is the largest one-time increase I've ever had to manage. And this is after a $50 increase back in October last year. I will now be paying $825 for field board, which contrary to it's name is not a field at all but a dirt paddock with shed. That pays for facility use, hay+feed and the mares to be separated for breakfast/dinner grain, pretty bare bones on the services side for the cost. Between the 2 of us we pick out the shed/paddock daily to keep it clean and less flies, although the new stall cleaner doesn't know any better and has been picking out when he's there. My lips are sealed on that one. ;)

WHAT??? Where are you? (Sorry, I can't remember anything.) I thought it was expensive here! I'm at a barn that is over $1000 for stalls and expensive. The cheaper barns are around $600-$700. I am paying $430 for pasture, which here is a big field, but we never have grass. It's about 5 acres I think, and big enough so that with 14 horses it doesn't need to be cleaned. The facility has a really nice covered and another arena as well as limited, but really nice trails.

I know costs have gone up, but I think the BO did something smart and locked in costs for hay and shavings for a year, so I don't think we'll go up in cost. There was a raise last Sept. but I guess we're "lucky" that way. There is basically no other pasture available anywhere within a viable driving distance for me, esp. at gas that has dropped drastically to $5.59 a gallon. (The most I had to pay was $6.09 I think, being a careful cheapskate.)

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:12 pm

New England based. The other pricey coast, lol.

Stall board will now be $900. There are some places pushing $1000 just for board which used to be a 'closer you are to Boston' type price. I'd kill for $430 a month! I'd say their paddock space is 20x50 m with the shed for 2 horses. Unfortunately due to land cost field board is becoming increasingly rare around here. Hence the, I'd move if I could but I get the choice of one 24/7 out or indoor arena and with winters here without an indoor you aren't riding. We need to move, lol.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:30 pm

Oh wow. Yeah. I heard that was the most expensive place in the country. There are MORE expensive places (like across the bay in Woodside, like Akiko Yamaguchi's place) but this is the more expensive local.

I don't understand why pasture board there is so expensive. It's usually have of stall board because the shavings are so expensive (here about as much as hay) and the labor in cleaning. We have to feed hay year round here in "pasture" because there is no such thing as enough grass to feed them. Cost of land is super expensive around here, too, but a lot of the barns are tucked into hills around protected park and open space, so maybe we're lucky that way? I know down south there is almost no "pasture," and what there is is the paddock you described. Same with a lot in the valley.

One reason I've decided I'm not moving ever despite being in one of the most expensive places in the country (and lucky enough to have bought my house 22 years ago) is weather. I do not have AC and barely use the heater. I cannot imagine the costs of heating/cooling in a lot of the country. I could move to the valley where it's a lot cheaper, or the foothills where there are amazing houses and barns and facilities super cheap (where it has been burning every year) but the weather (and the people.)

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:02 pm

We are in the land of hot and humid but we also get cold enough weather for heat. But it’s pretty cheap to live here especially in the county we live in. Lots of grass too much sometimes too much with my easy keepers. Locally not much dressage scene wise which is why I’ve hosted clinic for years. No one close by for help. Atlanta, just would rather not have to drive there with truck and trailer unless I absolutely have to and we are talking 2 plus hours one way. So I pay a friend to be eyes on the ground and host Cedar 4 times a year.

I have a good sized barn a big good footing outdoor, round pen and hay fields to ride in. We grow our own hay. Usually costs us roughly 4-4.50 a bale to get it in the barn. Not sure what it will cost us this year. Fertilizer has gone up. We do sell some to help cut the costs so probably paying ultimately 3.50 per bale to feed my horses. Now the feed I use has gone way up. I use triple crown products. Forage and balancer so I did increase my board $50. Depending on what hay shakes out per bale this year whether I have to go up more. Grass 7-8 months a year helps. Tractor trailer load of shavings last a year usually so stall board I charge $450. I only have the one boarder now. I did have a barn full and it was not worth it.

Right now our weather is dangerously hot and humid. Even had me mentioning to DH that I really need a covered arena. It’s just sweltering. I’m riding some would like to do more. Working in hand when I don’t. We have also gone from very dry to lots of rain and storms. Lots of lightening which is always scary so my horse’s turnout has been curtailed some. Late nights turning out after storms and cleaning. At least it’s a bit cooler! Poor Joplin today was just sweating seriously just standing in her stall. Had to pull her out and hose her off.

Have to short cycle Gaila take her back 7-20 for culture. Jingles it’s nothing too serious so I can try breeding again:)

Hoping to go look at a potential horse for Juliet’s owner Monday. We will see. So far nothing is panning out quite right.

Stay cool and happy riding all

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:44 pm

Maia was so good and relaxed (or eventually relaxed) our first few rides here, but there was no relaxing and getting down to work today :roll: At least she wasn't being crazy?

There were people there. And dogs. And three cats. And a horseless rider who had the gall to sit in the observation box at the end of the arena :shock: :lol: Plus a horse who nearly set off a rodeo in the arena over getting vaccinated (apparently that was a much improved reaction — this vet actually got both needles in without any real problem, so spring vaccines completed!)

Maia's head and body were on a swivel. I got a good ab/lower body workout trying to keep us moving forward and straight-ish, and finally had to resort to the dressage whip — which I never use — so the initial reaction was "OMG YOU HIT ME." Eventually we started to get it together ... then both horses/riders, dogs, and the observer went into the barn. So the next 10 minutes were spent alternating between mild spooks, and stopping every time we went away from the barn (covered arena and barn are at right angles, so all the time) and trying to run backwards because I was taking her away from her new friends :roll:

Other than that, our leg yields had some great pizzaz from all that stomping and swishing because I dared ask her to work when she wanted to be with her buddies :D

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:59 am

Apparently Maia isn’t phased by the Texas heat! SA’s weather was similar to Austin yesterday, 101 and 29 % humidity. We do occasionally get high humidity along with high temps, but not often.

Mari, I can relate to feeling vulnerable and fragile. I don’t have the back problems that you suffer from, or your hand issues, but I have hip problems and general stiffness due to old age. I am finding that for the most part, “keeping on keeping on” helps. Right now my hips feel really fragile right after a lesson which makes dismounting off an almost 16hh horse a little dicey. I use the big mounting block, but there is that moment when my left foot is on the block and I am struggling to swing my right leg off that if the horse were to move as much as 6 inches away, I’d be in big trouble. On days when my trainer works me really hard, I ask someone to hold my horse when I get off, even tho my horse is a very steady, good girl. I just need the extra confidence of someone holding her.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:25 pm

Demi, if there's someone handy I will get them to hold Potters while I dismount, too. I'm not always entirely sure my hips have it in them to do that swing over the back of the saddle!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:47 pm

I had a lovely two-phase ride today.
First part was arena work and she was spot on. I got some really nice softness and didn’t have to “tread water” for long. I like that term. Thank you Chisamba. I got a little tripod that I can attach my phone to the fence and get some video. Not ideal but maybe a little helpful. I also took out my Prestige saddle and tried it again. I struggled with it mightily last year and finally parked it. My balance was just off at posting trot. I have managed to shed 16lbs this year and viola, it felt fine. She was nicely forward in it and worked nicely. I didn’t try to video today as I had to spend time refitting the Prestige with stirrups then adjusting them. I am trying to decide if I can live with it because if I can’t, I need to sell it.

Phase two and GOAL…we went for a trail ride up the hill. She was perfect and didn’t put a foot wrong. She was tired for sure…trying to become a trail pony after years of being an arena flower is hard work. We probably only went a couple miles but the first 1/4 mile is fairly steep uphill then the middle part is undulating. Then at the end of course, she has to come down the steep part. We had company and we just tucked in behind Pete and she was very happy there. We got to the top of a hill and she was pretty amazed at the big wide world :lol: .
76849A76-82BF-42D4-A15F-F4F3BB61395B.jpeg
76849A76-82BF-42D4-A15F-F4F3BB61395B.jpeg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 97662 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:53 pm

I ride my two fourth level tests for Andrea to help me assess my show readiness. She recommended some hints and tips on how to ride then better and said I should try the show and see what happens.

I also rode Caliburn for her and we tried to school a few half steps to see if he could put good flat back to work and get his hocks under.
him. Well he was not anywhere near piaffe but he did work very nicely in a much shorter frame without curling his neck.

My friend had been struggling so with half pass so I loaned her Kimba to be a bit of a school master. It went well too. All in all it was a great day.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:31 pm

Glad you are being encouraged to see how it goes, Chiasamba!

Thanks for everyone for sharing expense updates. Demi, I think you have a deal with ~2000/month board and training of that calibre. Quality full board in my area is 900-1100.

Love to hear the Kyra update on adventures outside the arena. Emi (fellow 20 yr old) was a bit of a fool today on our fitness hack (we've had so many storms and it is so soggy that it is all about walking right now)---but miles and time brought her around. I'm glad she is feeling full of it!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:33 am

I pay 1000 a month for board, which is pretty much everything except grain and supplements. I pay 850 for full training which is a nominal 4 lessons/rides a week with a National level rider. I dont know what increases we will see later in the year. As the place is being torn apart around us I'm hoping they won't go too nuts as it is somewhat inconvenient.

Return to “Dressage Training”